+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting visa for a student from outside Canada

mohammad3799

Jul 16, 2023
Hi everyone,
I am an international student studying in Norway at the moment. My nationality is Iranian. I want to visit my uncle in Canada via visiting visa. So, I asked him to send me an invitation letter. One of the members of this website advised me to allocate the visiting time during my studying holidays. I want to be ensure that it is a must to travel there during my holidays? I want to maintain this period during the holidays between the two terms from December to February.
Thanks for your respond

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am an international student studying in Norway at the moment. My nationality is Iranian. I want to visit my uncle in Canada via visiting visa. So, I asked him to send me an invitation letter. One of the members of this website advised me to allocate the visiting time during my studying holidays. I want to be ensure that it is a must to travel there during my holidays? I want to maintain this period during the holidays between the two terms from December to February.
Thanks for your respond
So what is your question? You submit a visa application stating you want to visit during those months. IRCC doesn’t have to take those dates into account or will expedite. Processing from Norway is around 300+ days so you may not get a response for this year’s holidays.

mohammad3799

Jul 16, 2023
actually, I want to come there before feb 2024 due to the specific situation that Canadian government allocate for Iranian people in which I can change my visiting visa to job visa. On the basis of your statement, I will not be in Canada before the Feb 24 due to more than 300 days of processing in Norway. I understood it right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
actually, I want to come there before feb 2024 due to the specific situation that Canadian government allocate for Iranian people in which I can change my visiting visa to job visa. On the basis of your statement, I will not be in Canada before the Feb 24 due to more than 300 days of processing in Norway. I understood it right?
You can pick whatever travel time you want if your TRV is approved.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Correct. You can check the processing timelines yourself. Would you get a response before February, maybe but don’t count on it.

To get a TRV, you need to show funds, travel history, ties to home country and reasons to travel. Your reason to travel should be to visit your uncle. TRVs are not guaranteed and your real motive is not to visit but stay and work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The policy is for Iranians already in Canada not those who specifically visit Canada to try and secure a WP. The policy is not meant to allow Iranians who are out of Canada to skip normal processing for all temporary permits. There is a good chance you will could be denied the WP so if you are able to secure a TRV you should make sure you have the possibility to return back to Norway to continue your studies. Many people living in a 3rd country, especially with temporary status, struggle to get TRVs to come to Canada. Iranians in general have difficulty securing TRVs because of the likelihood of applying for asylum. You have been correctly advised to apply to visit during school holidays because genuine students would only be able to travel during school holidays unless there was a true emergency like a death in the family for example. You will have to try and show ties to Iran and that you have the funds to support your travels as well as the your ties to Norway. For example proof of your grades in your current program and that you have been studying full-time. Proof that your study permit and program is far from completion will also help. Processing times are not on average 300 days like but could be from weeks to many months depending if your application is being processed by AI or by a person.

Fona

Sep 16, 2022
The policy is for Iranians already in Canada not those who specifically visit Canada to try and secure a WP. The policy is not meant to allow Iranians who are out of Canada to skip normal processing for all temporary permits. There is a good chance you will could be denied the WP so if you are able to secure a TRV you should make sure you have the possibility to return back to Norway to continue your studies. Many people living in a 3rd country, especially with temporary status, struggle to get TRVs to come to Canada. Iranians in general have difficulty securing TRVs because of the likelihood of applying for asylum. You have been correctly advised to apply to visit during school holidays because genuine students would only be able to travel during school holidays unless there was a true emergency like a death in the family for example. You will have to try and show ties to Iran and that you have the funds to support your travels as well as the your ties to Norway. For example proof of your grades in your current program and that you have been studying full-time. Proof that your study permit and program is far from completion will also help. Processing times are not on average 300 days like but could be from weeks to many months depending if your application is being processed by AI or by a person.
How would you say that the situation is for me? I am born and raised in Sweden, but have Iranian origin from both of my parents. I have also heard this thing about "Iranians have a chance to move to Canada" before February of 2024. But it can't be as easy as it sounds right? Do I have a good chance of doing so now?

Like, can I take myself to Canada and apply for assylum or something like getting a work permit which seems to be "open" for all Iranians and then work there to finnaly get permanent resident visa or so after 3 years?

If I get ETA or travel to Canada now and land there tomorrow, just by a regular ticket with flight, can I then process my visa application as an Iranian there and get it if I prove I am Iranian somehow by showing my valid Iranian passport?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How would you say that the situation is for me? I am born and raised in Sweden, but have Iranian origin from both of my parents. I have also heard this thing about "Iranians have a chance to move to Canada" before February of 2024. But it can't be as easy as it sounds right? Do I have a good chance of doing so now?

Like, can I take myself to Canada and apply for assylum or something like getting a work permit which seems to be "open" for all Iranians and then work there to finnaly get permanent resident visa or so after 3 years?

If I get ETA or travel to Canada now and land there tomorrow, just by a regular ticket with flight, can I then process my visa application as an Iranian there and get it if I prove I am Iranian somehow by showing my valid Iranian passport?
What is your status in Sweden? Assume you have some sort of permanent residency status in Sweden. If this is this the case chances of getting asylum are almost zero but you will face significant consequences if you file for asylum and are denied or are not admissible. It could impact your ability to travel, get work/study permits, impact whether friends or family can travel to Canada or other countries that share immigration data with Canada. This program is not meant to allow any Iranian to skip all the immigration policies and show up and secure a WP. The program was really created for those who were already in Canada when women started protesting. If people felt they were at risk if they returned to Iran then they could remain in Canada on a temporary basis. This program does not allow people to skip normal processing if they weren’t in Canada when the protests started. Iranians still should be applying for study permits if they wish to study, finding an employer who has an approved LMIA (unless job is LMIA exempt) and the apply for a closed work permit and wait to see if it is approved. Iranian’s can also apply for asylum if they have proof that they are personally being persecuted. Why would Canada allow any Iranian to come to Canada from around the world before February and get a WP and avoid all immigration programs that others from regions where there is danger or conflict must apply for? If you longterm legal status in Sweden why you should be to come to Canada and get a OWP based on protests and danger in Iran? You don’t even live in Iran. Not sure why you want to leave Sweden most would trade Sweden for Canada. If you don’t have Swedish citizenship there is a very good chance that you don’t qualify for an ETA and have to apply for a TRV to be able to enter Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fona

Fona

Sep 16, 2022
What is your status in Sweden? Assume you have some sort of permanent residency status in Sweden.
Thanks for your reply! Made me understand this a lot more!

Yes. I am born and raised here. So of course I am a permanent resident. But I would even say (permanent resident +), it can be compared to someone that is a "national" in the USA, where it is almost impossible to remove your citizenship, because I am born here and have lived here all my life.[/QUOTE]

If this is this the case chances of getting asylum are almost zero but you will face significant consequences if you file for asylum and are denied or are not admissible. It could impact your ability to travel, get work/study permits, impact whether friends or family can travel to Canada or other countries that share immigration data with Canada.
Thanks for telling me this! I am not here to ask for how to break rules, or so, but in the simple mind most people know that folks all around the globe aren't 100% truthful always.

If I would for example just show them my Iranian passport, maybe they will ask for birth certifcate as well? But if I do that and tell them I have been here as an refugee, then the risk of getting assylum is higher I guess? That is not something I wish doing, but I would guess, there is no way for them to ask me how I came there, like if I tell them I came through the border or something.

This program is not meant to allow any Iranian to skip all the immigration policies and show up and secure a WP. The program was really created for those who were already in Canada when women started protesting. If people felt they were at risk if they returned to Iran then they could remain in Canada on a temporary basis. This program does not allow people to skip normal processing if they weren’t in Canada when the protests started.
Thanks for clarifying!

Iranians still should be applying for study permits if they wish to study, finding an employer who has an approved LMIA (unless job is LMIA exempt) and the apply for a closed work permit and wait to see if it is approved. Iranian’s can also apply for asylum if they have proof that they are personally being persecuted.
I am not really persecuted, then I would need to lie or exaggerate. So I guess the only way for me is to study or get a closed work permit, what is the main differences between close and open WP's over there?

Why would Canada allow any Iranian to come to Canada from around the world before February and get a WP and avoid all immigration programs that others from regions where there is danger or conflict must apply for?
Yes right. Some people clearly have wrong information as always. They just take something from the air and tell.

If you longterm legal status in Sweden why you should be to come to Canada and get a OWP based on protests and danger in Iran? You don’t even live in Iran. Not sure why you want to leave Sweden most would trade Sweden for Canada. If you don’t have Swedish citizenship there is a very good chance that you don’t qualify for an ETA and have to apply for a TRV to be able to enter Canada.
Not sure if most would trade Sweden for Canada really.

I have a Swedish citizenship. I am a Swedish national, I had ETA before, it actually expired this April. So I need to get a new one. But when I do and land in Canada, is there anyway for me to apply for a closed work permit and then maybe work there in order to get a permanent resident visa later on?

Again, very thankful if you could tell some main differences between closed/open WP's!

Again thanks fo you reply!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My post got messed up so trying again...

I don't know the details of the Iran program and can't help you with that.

Wondering how old you are. The IEC program could be a more straight-forward / more sure option given you are a Swedish citizen / passport holder.

Fona

Sep 16, 2022
How old are you?

I personally don't know enough about the detailed requirements for the program for those from Iran to comment. However since you have Swedish citizenship / passport, the IEC program may be a more straight-forward option for you if you are the right age.
I am 27. I can get ETA. What is IEC really?

My ultimate goal is to move to the USA, but it is a bit harder, some of their non immigrant visas have now allowed us to work there foa certain amount of time, which is good news.

But if USA ain't going to work then my goal is Canada, and when it comes to both of these countries my goal is to get permanent residency, can IEC get me that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am 27. I can get ETA. What is IEC really?

My ultimate goal is to move to the USA, but it is a bit harder, some of their non immigrant visas have now allowed us to work there foa certain amount of time, which is good news.

But if USA ain't going to work then my goal is Canada, and when it comes to both of these countries my goal is to get permanent residency, can IEC get me that?
An IEC gets you an open work permit for a specific period of time. Whether you can turn that into PR will depend on a number of different factors (e.g., age, language abilities, level of education, work experience, occupation, etc.). If PR is your objective, recommend you dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs now so that you know what it will take. Start my researching the Express Entry immigration program.

Here's the link to the IEC program info. Select "Working Holiday Visa": https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

Reactions: Fona

Fona

Sep 16, 2022
An IEC gets you an open work permit for a specific period of time. Whether you can turn that into PR will depend on a number of different factors (e.g., age, language abilities, level of education, work experience, occupation, etc.). If PR is your objective, recommend you dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs now so that you know what it will take. Start my researching the Express Entry immigration program.

Here's the link to the IEC program info. Select "Working Holiday Visa": https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html
I am not skilled, and I only have highschool as the highest education.

Sweden
You may be eligible for 3 categories:

So I guess working holiday might work out for me as well as international Co-op? How long does working holiday last?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am not skilled, and I only have highschool as the highest education.

Sweden
You may be eligible for 3 categories:

So I guess working holiday might work out for me as well as international Co-op? How long does working holiday last?
The Working Holiday visa gives you a work permit for 12 months. All of the details are on the website. The International Co-op is only possible if you are completing studies in your home country. Please read the details on the website.

Frankly speaking, if you only have a high school education, you will struggle to get PR in Canada. Most immigration program will be closed to you or you won't get eough points to compete with other applicants. This really limits your options.

If PR in Canada is really your objective, then I would very strongly recommend that you complete a bachelor degree at an absolute minimum. You can do this in Sweden or in Canada. If in Canada, you would need to get a study permit and be willing to pay international student fees.

Reactions: YVR123 and Fona

Fona

Sep 16, 2022
The Working Holiday visa gives you a work permit for 12 months. All of the details are on the website. The International Co-op is only possible if you are completing studies in your home country. Please read the details on the website.

Frankly speaking, if you only have a high school education, you will struggle to get PR in Canada. Most immigration program will be closed to you or you won't get eough points to compete with other applicants. This really limits your options.

If PR in Canada is really your objective, then I would very strongly recommend that you complete a bachelor degree at an absolute minimum. You can do this in Sweden or in Canada. If in Canada, you would need to get a study permit and be willing to pay international student fees.
I just want to flee Sweden, I don't like this country.

Also when searching for "can iec lead to permanent residency in canada" on Google, the answer is:

No. If you want to live in Canada permanently, you need to apply for permanent residence. Use the Come to Canada tool to find out what programs you can apply for permanent residence under.