+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting USA from Canada before getting PR Card

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hi everybody,
My parents are planning to land in Canada, from India on PR Visa, by end of April. As we all together have to travel to USA to attend a Christening of new born baby in our family , in first week of June at Chicago, my parents would also like to take part. Means, after five weeks from landing date of my parents. Usually PR Card is expected within 4 weeks!. But in case if the PR Card is not received before the planned travel?. My parents, holding Indian passport don't have US visit visas.My question is:
  • Can they apply for a US visit visa upon arrival in Canada before getting a Canadian PR Card

• Can they visit US and return without a PR Card, if they do not receive the PR Card by that time?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know where they have to be to apply for a US visa. It does not matter if they have a PR card or not for the visa. If they need one without it, they need one with it as well. Ask the US embassy if they can apply from Canada. I assume they can.

If they want to travel before they get the PR card, they need to ask about it when they land. Other people have done it, maybe had to leave early to take care of business and some have been told they would be allowed to enter with only their landing documents and no card but it's also possible to apply for a PR document to return.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi thanks Leon for your advice.

I will check with the US Embassy here in Canada. Meanwhile I will also ask my parents to inform the IO while landing about the proposed travel plan and to obtain any authenticated document for the re-entering to Canada in absence of a PR Card. Regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

wilson said:
Hi thanks Leon for your advice.

I will check with the US Embassy here in Canada. Meanwhile I will also ask my parents to inform the IO while landing about the proposed travel plan and to obtain any authenticated document for the re-entering to Canada in absence of a PR Card. Regards
1. The only document that is valid for entering Canada as PR on Commercial vehicles is the PR Card. There is no "authenticated document" that can be otherwise issued. If they return from the US by private car, then can be admitted on the basis of the COPR in their passport.
2. Without a US visitor visa how are they going to get into the US. It is unlikely that as newly arrived PRs that they will get one from the US consulate in Canada. They better try in India.

PMM

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Thanks PMM for your guidance. I was thinking that they can apply here in Canada with the Landing Certificate. There is no more time to apply in India because not possible to get an appointment soon. Better to wait this time for the PR card and US visit visa.
Regards.

mapplelover

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
01-11-2011
Med's Done....
05-8-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-06-2012, VISA 11-06-2012, PP Arrived 20-06-2012
does anyone know the timelines to apply and get the travel document from abroad in order to enter canada in the absense of a pr card? this infor is not posted i think on the website