+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting India on eVisa after receving Canadian PPT and surrendering Indian PPT. Journey!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
There is no relation for evisa and surrendering the indian passport. Both are independent. You can get evisa even without surrendering indian passport. One rule of thumb is when you get the foriegn nationality, never travel on indian passport as it may lead to penalty
You can travel on Indian passport up to 3 months from the date of acquiring Canadian citizenship
People like @nivaan5 have successfully done that

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
You can travel on Indian passport up to 3 months from the date of acquiring Canadian citizenship
People like @nivaan5 have successfully done that
But you will destroy the pr card right?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
But you will destroy the pr card right?
arey bha...get a canadian passport done, use the Indian passport and travel to India.
at the Regional Passport Office (RPO) surrender the Indian passport and then through FRRO apply for Entry Visa within India itself. When you are returning to Canada use your Canadian passport which will have entry visa

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
arey bha...get a canadian passport done, use the Indian passport and travel to India.
at the Regional Passport Office (RPO) surrender the Indian passport and then through FRRO apply for Entry Visa within India itself. When you are returning to Canada use your Canadian passport which will have entry visa
But use this in extreme situations and urgent need to travel. I have seen people planning to use this even after getting citizenship for 3- 4 months.

bhargava.sg

Star Member
Jun 3, 2019
I got the Canadian PPTs in First week of December. Applied for eVisa for India on 12the Dec, received it on 13 (pretty straight forward application).
Traveled India on 18th. No questions from Immigration on arrival, The wanted us to fill the arrival forms with address details in India. Took our photos and finger prints.
We carried Indian PPTS with us to surrender them In India.
You have to fill in online application to surrender the PPT. Once completed you have to pay 500INR Fees online and print the Appointment form(important). The form has barcode which they use to scan and get the details. Also, for appointments they open the slot at 4:30 PM daily and it fills in minutes. I saw available appointment after 3 weeks.
The RPO, is the only place you can surrender Indian PPT, PSKs are not equipped to handle surrender requests. .

1) So, we went to RPO on Thursday since its free walk in day. Gate opening time was 9;30, and I saw alt east 500+ people waiting in line there. We had some contacts who let us in without line.
2)After we went in There is section called POLICY who is responsible for surrender certificates. They told us for Surrender certificates you don't need appointments.
3) They told us to refill the form again since my kids PPT has Canadian address, they want proof of address as India. For me I had Indian address, but they said bring Adhar card :)oops:). Then They told us to photo copy all the pages, including empty pages of Indian PPT, Canadian citizenship certificate copy, Canadian PPT copy. They asked us to attached Parents PPT as address proof for kids, and for us Adhar card. We had jumbo PPT with 60 pages. 4 PPTS with 60 pages each. I had a 260+ pages file.
4) You have to sign all the pages, for kids both parents need to sign.
5) They sent us a floor down for photographs and finger printing. ( The computer broke down several times) After spending few hours we could complete the process.
6)Then went upstairs and gave them the SLIPS of finger prints completion.
7)They asked us to come after two days.
8)Got a call after two days, went and picked up the surrender
The staff was helpful, but too bureaucratic. Also, I find the process to be lengthy since we had 4 PPTs.
If you have time then you can attempt it. But for some one who has short time and want to spend it elsewhere better to surrender in Canada.
Only thing is its fees which is 500 INR, but the process eats up two days from your holidays/trip.
The Police manning gates some time does not allow you to go inside, so you will need to try multiple times to enter inside. Or, get hold of some one who can let you enter.

Also, they asked me did you travel on Indian passport after receiving Canadian PPT. Since I did not travel, I said NO. Again, they want me to write on a paper confirming that I did not travel on Indian PPT after receiving Canadian Citizenship.
I will apply for OCI later this month.
When you filled the evisa application, did you provide details of your Indian passport aswell? (there is a section asking if I hold any other passports)

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Thank you for the post! this is a life saver for us. So, we do not need a Surrender cert for applying eVisa right?

We are in India and we got invited to the ceremony. We were supposed to be in India till April but, I am thinking of going back to Canada and finishing the citizenship and coming back on Evisa within 20 days or so.
Plan this well. Couple of clerks with initial s MB amd RRm I guess from mississauga office is notoriously slow in uploading ecerrrifcates

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
i was trying to fill up my evisa form.

would single entry for 30 days or multiple entry for 1 year has a cost difference? if yes then how much. I am looking at other website and it says standard USD 80 for any type of visa. Can anyone confirm this?

agautam

Jun 20, 2017
Hello everyone,

I plan to travel around mid. Feb.,24 to India on Canadian passport with e-visa for 2 months.

Is it mandatory to surrender the Indian passport in India before coming back to Canada ? Or can I surrender it after I come back ? What are my options that fall with the regulations ?

Thanks in advance !

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I plan to travel around mid. Feb.,24 to India on Canadian passport with e-visa for 2 months.

Is it mandatory to surrender the Indian passport in India before coming back to Canada ? Or can I surrender it after I come back ? What are my options that fall with the regulations ?

Thanks in advance !
It's cheaper and faster to do in India. You can also do in once you are back.

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
finally all things sorted . got my canadian passport (in 4 days) and e-visa to india (in 24 hours). Prepared all the documents required to surrender the passport in india. Printed the online application form.

I am keeping this as optional as I have only 2 weeks trip. Will keep posted here if I am successful.

at OP thanks for the detailed process

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
finally all things sorted . got my canadian passport (in 4 days) and e-visa to india (in 24 hours). Prepared all the documents required to surrender the passport in india. Printed the online application form.

I am keeping this as optional as I have only 2 weeks trip. Will keep posted here if I am successful.

at OP thanks for the detailed process
RPO requires appointments, but I was told that for surrender certificates, You don't need it.
You just need to show the printed form and application fees form with barcode to the Police manning the doors, they will allow you.
Make sure you print all the pages of passport and sign it.
Remember not to go on free walk in days. There will be huge rush. In HYd RPO its Thursday. Cuz you need to take your finger prints and photo graphs there, and huge lines will be there on free walkin days.

KNIGHTRIDER14

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
I got the Canadian PPTs in First week of December. Applied for eVisa for India on 12the Dec, received it on 13 (pretty straight forward application).
Traveled India on 18th. No questions from Immigration on arrival, The wanted us to fill the arrival forms with address details in India. Took our photos and finger prints.
We carried Indian PPTS with us to surrender them In India.
You have to fill in online application to surrender the PPT. Once completed you have to pay 500INR Fees online and print the Appointment form(important). The form has barcode which they use to scan and get the details. Also, for appointments they open the slot at 4:30 PM daily and it fills in minutes. I saw available appointment after 3 weeks.
The RPO, is the only place you can surrender Indian PPT, PSKs are not equipped to handle surrender requests. .

1) So, we went to RPO on Thursday since its free walk in day. Gate opening time was 9;30, and I saw alt east 500+ people waiting in line there. We had some contacts who let us in without line.
2)After we went in There is section called POLICY who is responsible for surrender certificates. They told us for Surrender certificates you don't need appointments.
3) They told us to refill the form again since my kids PPT has Canadian address, they want proof of address as India. For me I had Indian address, but they said bring Adhar card :)oops:). Then They told us to photo copy all the pages, including empty pages of Indian PPT, Canadian citizenship certificate copy, Canadian PPT copy. They asked us to attached Parents PPT as address proof for kids, and for us Adhar card. We had jumbo PPT with 60 pages. 4 PPTS with 60 pages each. I had a 260+ pages file.
4) You have to sign all the pages, for kids both parents need to sign.
5) They sent us a floor down for photographs and finger printing. ( The computer broke down several times) After spending few hours we could complete the process.
6)Then went upstairs and gave them the SLIPS of finger prints completion.
7)They asked us to come after two days.
8)Got a call after two days, went and picked up the surrender
The staff was helpful, but too bureaucratic. Also, I find the process to be lengthy since we had 4 PPTs.
If you have time then you can attempt it. But for some one who has short time and want to spend it elsewhere better to surrender in Canada.
Only thing is its fees which is 500 INR, but the process eats up two days from your holidays/trip.
The Police manning gates some time does not allow you to go inside, so you will need to try multiple times to enter inside. Or, get hold of some one who can let you enter.

Also, they asked me did you travel on Indian passport after receiving Canadian PPT. Since I did not travel, I said NO. Again, they want me to write on a paper confirming that I did not travel on Indian PPT after receiving Canadian Citizenship.
I will apply for OCI later this month.
Did they ask you to show return ticket to canada when you landed in India??