+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting India on eVisa after receving Canadian PPT and surrendering Indian PPT. Journey!

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
I got the Canadian PPTs in First week of December. Applied for eVisa for India on 12the Dec, received it on 13 (pretty straight forward application).
Traveled India on 18th. No questions from Immigration on arrival, The wanted us to fill the arrival forms with address details in India. Took our photos and finger prints.
We carried Indian PPTS with us to surrender them In India.
You have to fill in online application to surrender the PPT. Once completed you have to pay 500INR Fees online and print the Appointment form(important). The form has barcode which they use to scan and get the details. Also, for appointments they open the slot at 4:30 PM daily and it fills in minutes. I saw available appointment after 3 weeks.
The RPO, is the only place you can surrender Indian PPT, PSKs are not equipped to handle surrender requests. .

1) So, we went to RPO on Thursday since its free walk in day. Gate opening time was 9;30, and I saw alt east 500+ people waiting in line there. We had some contacts who let us in without line.
2)After we went in There is section called POLICY who is responsible for surrender certificates. They told us for Surrender certificates you don't need appointments.
3) They told us to refill the form again since my kids PPT has Canadian address, they want proof of address as India. For me I had Indian address, but they said bring Adhar card :)oops:). Then They told us to photo copy all the pages, including empty pages of Indian PPT, Canadian citizenship certificate copy, Canadian PPT copy. They asked us to attached Parents PPT as address proof for kids, and for us Adhar card. We had jumbo PPT with 60 pages. 4 PPTS with 60 pages each. I had a 260+ pages file.
4) You have to sign all the pages, for kids both parents need to sign.
5) They sent us a floor down for photographs and finger printing. ( The computer broke down several times) After spending few hours we could complete the process.
6)Then went upstairs and gave them the SLIPS of finger prints completion.
7)They asked us to come after two days.
8)Got a call after two days, went and picked up the surrender
The staff was helpful, but too bureaucratic. Also, I find the process to be lengthy since we had 4 PPTs.
If you have time then you can attempt it. But for some one who has short time and want to spend it elsewhere better to surrender in Canada.
Only thing is its fees which is 500 INR, but the process eats up two days from your holidays/trip.
The Police manning gates some time does not allow you to go inside, so you will need to try multiple times to enter inside. Or, get hold of some one who can let you enter.

Also, they asked me did you travel on Indian passport after receiving Canadian PPT. Since I did not travel, I said NO. Again, they want me to write on a paper confirming that I did not travel on Indian PPT after receiving Canadian Citizenship.
I will apply for OCI later this month.

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
Whats the associated cost of surrendering the passport in Canada?.

I saw you going through a lot of hassles on vacation/trip. Do you think it is worth except for saving some $$$. Asking since I will be in a similar boat in a month

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019

I saw you going through a lot of hassles on vacation/trip. Do you think it is worth except for saving some $$$. Asking since I will be in a similar boat in a month
Honestly I went through hassle, if you have 2 or 3 PPTs then canada is best.
Cost may be around 100 cad per ppt, I guess

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Honestly I went through hassle, if you have 2 or 3 PPTs then canada is best.
Cost may be around 100 cad per ppt, I guess
It's $123.7 as part of fees for one passport.. but there can be extra costs of $84 if postal . Or $20-100 extra if bls walkin as they tend to charge extra for any mistake..

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/surrender-of-india-citizenship.php
CAD 123.7. Do expect BLS to charge you more for miscellaneous services like courier of SC and Cancelled Indian PP back to you and photographs. My suggestion is that if you are surrendering in person at BLS do not get photo's clicked outside, get them clicked at BLS only, they will provide 2 copies of the photos. One photo is required for SC the other one you can use tor OCI application if you like to apply after obtaining the SC

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
I was planning to do the same for my travel to India in the coming weeks. However, I am not sure if you can answer this question.

My passport was renewed at Vancouver and the address in the passport is the local address in Canada. What would be an additional step here. - would i still qualify to cancel my passport in India?

Would they return back the indian passport after cancellation or would they give only the surrender certificate?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I was planning to do the same for my travel to India in the coming weeks. However, I am not sure if you can answer this question.

My passport was renewed at Vancouver and the address in the passport is the local address in Canada. What would be an additional step here. - would i still qualify to cancel my passport in India?

Would they return back the indian passport after cancellation or would they give only the surrender certificate?
You should be able to apply for SC and Cancel your Indian PP in India. I believe you might need to provide an Indian Proof of Address since you are applying in India
They would return your cancelled Indian passport along with the SC

Reactions: glenn9090

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
perfect. Let me go through the entire process once again and I will update my experience as i complete it.

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019

They asked us to provide Indian address proof, like Adhar card or ration card or any bills on your name.

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
They asked us to provide Indian address proof, like Adhar card or ration card or any bills on your name.
Thanks for the info. I have only the aadhar card and nothing else under my name. I think i will have to go with an affidavit.

on a side note: How long did it took for you to get the e-certificate after oath ceremony. I am now worried as my flight is booked for 22nd and I am waiting for the e-certificate now. (Oath ceremony done yesterday (9th January 2024)

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Thanks for the info. I have only the aadhar card and nothing else under my name. I think i will have to go with an affidavit.

on a side note: How long did it took for you to get the e-certificate after oath ceremony. I am now worried as my flight is booked for 22nd and I am waiting for the e-certificate now. (Oath ceremony done yesterday (9th January 2024)
Adhar is fine, but it has to have same address as your PPT address.
It took around d 26 days from oath tp certificate. I chase IRCC, called MPP and MP too.

AramanB

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
I got the Canadian PPTs in First week of December. Applied for eVisa for India on 12the Dec, received it on 13 (pretty straight forward application).
Traveled India on 18th. No questions from Immigration on arrival, The wanted us to fill the arrival forms with address details in India. Took our photos and finger prints.
You have to fill in online application to surrender the PPT. Once completed you have to pay 500INR Fees online and print the Appointment form(important). The form has barcode which they use to scan and get the details. Also, for appointments they open the slot at 4:30 PM daily and it fills in minutes. I saw available appointment after 3 weeks.
The RPO, is the only place you can surrender Indian PPT, PSKs are not equipped to handle surrender requests. .

1) So, we went to RPO on Thursday since its free walk in day. Gate opening time was 9;30, and I saw alt east 500+ people waiting in line there. We had some contacts who let us in without line.
2)After we went in There is section called POLICY who is responsible for surrender certificates. They told us for Surrender certificates you don't need appointments.
3) They told us to refill the form again since my kids PPT has Canadian address, they want proof of address as India. For me I had Indian address, but they said bring Adhar card :)oops:). Then They told us to photo copy all the pages, including empty pages of Indian PPT, Canadian citizenship certificate copy, Canadian PPT copy. They asked us to attached Parents PPT as address proof for kids, and for us Adhar card. We had jumbo PPT with 60 pages. 4 PPTS with 60 pages each. I had a 260+ pages file.
5) They sent us a floor down for photographs and finger printing. ( The computer broke down several times) After spending few hours we could complete the process.
The staff was helpful, but too bureaucratic. Also, I find the process to be lengthy since we had 4 PPTs.
If you have time then you can attempt it. But for some one who has short time and want to spend it elsewhere better to surrender in Canada.
Only thing is its fees which is 500 INR, but the process eats up two days from your holidays/trip.
The Police manning gates some time does not allow you to go inside, so you will need to try multiple times to enter inside. Or, get hold of some one who can let you enter.

Also, they asked me did you travel on Indian passport after receiving Canadian PPT. Since I did not travel, I said NO. Again, they want me to write on a paper confirming that I did not travel on Indian PPT after receiving Canadian Citizenship.
Hello dear, may i know in how many hours you got your evisa?
I gonna get my Canadian passport on jan 16 if i apply e visa in the evening of jan 16, will i be able to get it in the morning of jan 17 as i planning to go india on jan 17 ?
And
Do we have to have e visa hardcopy? Or softcopy would work too ?

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Hello dear, may i know in how many hours you got your evisa?
I gonna get my Canadian passport on jan 16 if i apply e visa in the evening of jan 16, will i be able to get it in the morning of jan 17 as i planning to go india on jan 17 ?
And
Do we have to have e visa hardcopy? Or softcopy would work too ?
How r u sure that you get your PPT on 16th? You applied already?
I got eVisa within a day.
I printed it showed it to immigration there.

bhargava.sg

Star Member
Jun 3, 2019

Thank you for the post! this is a life saver for us. So, we do not need a Surrender cert for applying eVisa right?

We are in India and we got invited to the ceremony. We were supposed to be in India till April but, I am thinking of going back to Canada and finishing the citizenship and coming back on Evisa within 20 days or so.

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
Thank you for the post! this is a life saver for us. So, we do not need a Surrender cert for applying eVisa right?

We are in India and we got invited to the ceremony. We were supposed to be in India till April but, I am thinking of going back to Canada and finishing the citizenship and coming back on Evisa within 20 days or so.
There is no relation for evisa and surrendering the indian passport. Both are independent. You can get evisa even without surrendering indian passport. One rule of thumb is when you get the foriegn nationality, never travel on indian passport as it may lead to penalty