+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada without any money but with full financial support

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She is 21 years old. I have not met her in person unfortunately due to COVID19. We met on a game around 2019 December, been dating since 2020 May. Of course, we plan to meet before she comes here of course. We both agreed on that. I plan to see her around November 14th this year hoping COVID19 restrictions ease by that time. She is a German citizen yes. Working holiday visa is something I looked into but I thought coming as a visitor and then extending her stay would be more simple.
Although meeting someone you have met online is more common given that you have never met before it is even more important that she be able to show that she has the ability to purchase a flight home at any point and go to a hotel/airbnb at any point just for safety reasons. Would actually recommend that you purchase a return ticket for her. You usually need a bank account or credit card to do any form of gaming. Not sure how anyone above 13 doesn't have a bank account these days in Germany or Canada.

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
Although meeting someone you have met online is more common given that you have never met before it is even more important that she be able to show that she has the ability to purchase a flight home at any point and go to a hotel/airbnb at any point just for safety reasons. Would actually recommend that you purchase a return ticket for her. You usually need a bank account or credit card to do any form of gaming. Not sure how anyone above 13 doesn't have a bank account these days in Germany or Canada.
I mean.. I had my first bank account at what.. age 15 or so? And that was a joint account at that. Didn't have my own until last year. And yeah I planned on giving her some cash she could show that to the officer the ability to make necessary purchases. As for return ticket.. I thought about it but I plan to have her stay so I feel like it's kind of a waste of money. But perhaps I could get one that's refundable. Irrelevant but when it comes to gaming there are free to play and those game point cards you can get from gas stations with cash.

bryce343

Sep 6, 2013
I mean.. I had my first bank account at what.. age 15 or so? And that was a joint account at that. Didn't have my own until last year. And yeah I planned on giving her some cash she could show that to the officer the ability to make necessary purchases. As for return ticket.. I thought about it but I plan to have her stay so I feel like it's kind of a waste of money. But perhaps I could get one that's refundable. Irrelevant but when it comes to gaming there are free to play and those game point cards you can get from gas stations with cash.
For traveling to practically any country, return ticket is always advised, they dont check for it often but return ticket is very important. If she showed up without a return ticket the officer may think shes planning to stay long term in canada and send her back before meeting you. After this happens it may be difficult for her to come back to canada..

Hint: theres some travel agencys which will book you a ticket and cancel it after a few days for a small fee, absolutely worth doing for your plan.

Secoundly about bank accounts, since you will meet her first,if you dont want her to get a bank account and fund it in her country, just add her onto your credit card w/ online banking ( most banks dont require any identification) some banks even allow you to pause the card. So id add her on pause her card so she cant spend the money, during transit time enable the card and monitor it.
Im only saying this in case she turns out to be a scam or with you for other motives.

Bank account is better than credit card but then atleast if asked she can say she has xxxx available and can prove it if necessary

This advise is more catered to ETA residence, Which she appears to be, for thouse reading this forum, if you are actually someone who requires a visitor visa instead this advice is not good enough, way stronger funding and ties would be needed if she required a visitor visa theres a high chance of rejection.

Reactions: EunpaKim

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If she has a one way ticket and zero money, those are two huge red flags. It's not a good plan. Of course, entirely up to you what you do.

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
For traveling to practically any country, return ticket is always advised, they dont check for it often but return ticket is very important. If she showed up without a return ticket the officer may think shes planning to stay long term in canada and send her back before meeting you. After this happens it may be difficult for her to come back to canada..

Hint: theres some travel agencys which will book you a ticket and cancel it after a few days for a small fee, absolutely worth doing for your plan.

Secoundly about bank accounts, since you will meet her first,if you dont want her to get a bank account and fund it in her country, just add her onto your credit card w/ online banking ( most banks dont require any identification) some banks even allow you to pause the card. So id add her on pause her card so she cant spend the money, during transit time enable the card and monitor it.
Im only saying this in case she turns out to be a scam or with you for other motives.

Bank account is better than credit card but then atleast if asked she can say she has xxxx available and can prove it if necessary

This advise is more catered to ETA residence, Which she appears to be, for thouse reading this forum, if you are actually someone who requires a visitor visa instead this advice is not good enough, way stronger funding and ties would be needed if she required a visitor visa theres a high chance of rejection.
These are actually some great tips. Yeah I thought of buying a return ticket for her and getting a option where I could refund it. Wouldn't hurt much to go with it I guess. As for credit card I literally didn't think of that ever but I'll look into that. And yes she will be getting an ETA and not a visa as a visa isn't allowed.

So with all being said I think getting the return ticket, providing her with some cash and possibly adding her onto my credit card will make things A LOT easier. All this on top of what I already thought of.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nowadays most people don’t operate with cash. Not having a bank account in the EU at age 21 is not normal. I had my own bank account when I was very young and that was before atms. If you don’t have a bank account that means you never had a job or lived on your own. If someone doesn’t have a bank account I’m not sure they have the skills to move across the world and essentially enter an instant live-in relationship. I know you seem to think you will essentially live together happily ever after but I would really suggest talking realistically about budgets, domestic duties, everyday life while you work and she can’t and is alone, etc. and start off will a trial period and reassessing. You are both very young. If you live together for a year IRCC will want you to file for sponsorship because you can’t extend her visitor status forever. I know people meet online and live happily ever after but people also meet in person and it just doesn’t work out. Maybe I am being parental but would make a plan for a few months once travel restrictions are lifted. If your gf enters Canada with no plans of returning on your first meeting they will not only be concerned for her safety but get concerned she is trying to move to Canada when she doesn’t have the right to.

Reactions: YVR123

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
Nowadays most people don’t operate with cash. Not having a bank account in the EU at age 21 is not normal. I had my own bank account when I was very young and that was before atms. If you don’t have a bank account that means you never had a job or lived on your own. If someone doesn’t have a bank account I’m not sure they have the skills to move across the world and essentially enter an instant live-in relationship. I know you seem to think you will essentially live together happily ever after but I would really suggest talking realistically about budgets, domestic duties, everyday life while you work and she can’t and is alone, etc. and start off will a trial period and reassessing. You are both very young. If you live together for a year IRCC will want you to file for sponsorship because you can’t extend her visitor status forever. I know people meet online and live happily ever after but people also meet in person and it just doesn’t work out. Maybe I am being parental but would make a plan for a few months once travel restrictions are lifted. If your gf enters Canada with no plans of returning on your first meeting they will not only be concerned for her safety but get concerned she is trying to move to Canada when she doesn’t have the right to.
I mean to address the last concern we are the last people to stay beyond the time we are given. If we wanted we would just extend the time through legal means. But I get the border agents might not see it that way. Guess return tickets are a must no matter what. And that's true we can't extend our visitor extension forever.

Last edited:

Sledge

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
Edmonton
Category........
VISIT
The fact you have not met in person and cannot prove that (pics of the two of you together), she will not be able to enter Canada as a visitor since she does not qualify for the extended family exemption. It clearly states you have to have spent physical time together. My suggestion is that you go to Germany to visit her first. Otherwise you will be waiting for Canada to open up the borders to visitors.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended

I actually went through a similar experience. We applied for a visitor visa for my girlfriend in Indonesia but we have met. She does have a bank account but had minimal funds. I had stated that I would cover all her expenses for a 1 month visit but did not provide enough of my financial information so this application was refused.

I requested the VO's notes through ATIP request and found out the specific reasons: travel history, available funds, employment prospects, ties to home country. We resubmitted and I included my pay stubs for the past 4 months, last 4 bank statements, a letter from her employer granting her permission to be away for 2 months, her home and land title, and an explanation for her limited travel history. It was approved last week and they have requested her passport, which she shipped to them. I included IMM0006 in the section of the application, proof of relationship, along with 4 pictures of the two of us together. At the same time it was approved, they also sent the Travel Exemption Letter so she will be able to board the flight.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The fact you have not met in person and cannot prove that (pics of the two of you together), she will not be able to enter Canada as a visitor since she does not qualify for the extended family exemption. It clearly states you have to have spent physical time together. My suggestion is that you go to Germany to visit her first. Otherwise you will be waiting for Canada to open up the borders to visitors.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended

I actually went through a similar experience. We applied for a visitor visa for my girlfriend in Indonesia but we have met. She does have a bank account but had minimal funds. I had stated that I would cover all her expenses for a 1 month visit but did not provide enough of my financial information so this application was refused.

I requested the VO's notes through ATIP request and found out the specific reasons: travel history, available funds, employment prospects, ties to home country. We resubmitted and I included my pay stubs for the past 4 months, last 4 bank statements, a letter from her employer granting her permission to be away for 2 months, her home and land title, and an explanation for her limited travel history. It was approved last week and they have requested her passport, which she shipped to them. I included IMM0006 in the section of the application, proof of relationship, along with 4 pictures of the two of us together. At the same time it was approved, they also sent the Travel Exemption Letter so she will be able to board the flight.
You're 100% right. My assumption was that the OP's girlfriend wasn't planning on coming until much later this year once the travel restrictions have (hopefully) lifted. But that's a good thing to clarify.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Once travel opens up again, any single young girl without any/much fund with her would be suspecious of working illegally here.
She needs to prepare with a detail itinerary of her trip at least for the first few weeks.
It's still VERY strange to have no bank account at age 21. I had mine when I was... 11 (with my mom's signature) and got my own once I turned 19.

Is it possible that she has one but doesn't want to share that piece of information with you? I mean, I've met my husband online but we met in person as group of friends soon after... The first ever trip to meet each other and stay permanently is a bit ... unusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Copingwithlife

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hmm all right. I wonder what the likelyhood of being asked for proof of funds is though.. I literally never heard of such cases before until very recently. Perhaps it's not common?
I used to work at the airport , it does happen. Individual will be asked about their job, funds to support their stay, length of stay .
If they can’t provide sufficient information, they are sent back first available flight .
It does happen, more often then not
If you suddenly pull your support for the individual ? Then what ? How are they supposed to pay for things ?

Even if she had a WHV she’s supposed to show funds .

It must clearly show that you have enough money to support yourself for the first 3 months of your stay in Canada (the equivalent of CAN$2,500). If you arrive in Canada with the equivalent of CAN$10,000 or more, you must tell the border services officer.

Last edited: