+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada without any money but with full financial support

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
Hi everyone:) I know right now is not the time to travel, but when the time comes back I plan to bring my girlfriend from Germany to Canada.
I would like to have her stay with me for 6 months and then I plan to extend her stay (through visitor record) few months into her stay.
The problem is this: she has no money or a job but she does have a place to stay (her parents house)
I have a stable job as a permanent employee earning enough to support both of us and have enough money saved (I have all the documents necessary to prove this I believe)

How could I successfully convince the border officer that I will be supporting her financially? I am sure I will need to provide a job letter, bank statements, pay stubs, maybe proof of relationship (pictures and text messages), and credit card statements.. would I need anything else? I also don't mind providing my phone # for them to contact me to confirm everything and being physically present. Plus I thought of writing a letter of invitation (although that seems to apply for TRV which doesn't apply for my gf)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/proof-funds-financial-support.html

This site seems to tell me that I just need to explain to them how I plan to do this.. but I am still not sure as I have never done something like this before.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Personal experience from anyone would be helpful

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone:) I know right now is not the time to travel, but when the time comes back I plan to bring my girlfriend from Germany to Canada.
I would like to have her stay with me for 6 months and then I plan to extend her stay (through visitor record) few months into her stay.
The problem is this: she has no money or a job but she does have a place to stay (her parents house)
I have a stable job as a permanent employee earning enough to support both of us and have enough money saved (I have all the documents necessary to prove this I believe)

How could I successfully convince the border officer that I will be supporting her financially? I am sure I will need to provide a job letter, bank statements, pay stubs, maybe proof of relationship (pictures and text messages), and credit card statements.. would I need anything else? I also don't mind providing my phone # for them to contact me to confirm everything and being physically present. Plus I thought of writing a letter of invitation (although that seems to apply for TRV which doesn't apply for my gf)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/proof-funds-financial-support.html

This site seems to tell me that I just need to explain to them how I plan to do this.. but I am still not sure as I have never done something like this before.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Personal experience from anyone would be helpful
It's not a good idea to enter with absolutely zero funds. If CBSA ends up asking her about this for any reason, they will want to see that she has at least some funds available given she is looking to stay for half a year. Otherwise you may find she's given a very short visit or may even have issues being allowed to enter. If she really has no savings, then a few months ahead of her trip, I would recommend that you transfer a few thousand dollars to her.

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
It's not a good idea to enter with absolutely zero funds. If CBSA ends up asking her about this for any reason, they will want to see that she has at least some funds available given she is looking to stay for half a year. Otherwise you may find she's given a very short visit or may even have issues being allowed to enter. If she really has no savings, then a few months ahead of her trip, I would recommend that you transfer a few thousand dollars to her.
Thanks for the info! I did think about passing on a few thousand before she comes to Canada for that reason. Would it have to be 5k+ or would about say 3-4k be enough. I ask this because carrying a large amount of cash is kinda risky. Again thanks a lot for the help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the info! I did think about passing on a few thousand before she comes to Canada for that reason. Would it have to be 5k+ or would about say 3-4k be enough. I ask this because carrying a large amount of cash is kinda risky. Again thanks a lot for the help!
She shouldn't carry the money as cash. She should just be able to show she has it to spend in a bank account.

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
She shouldn't carry the money as cash. She should just be able to show she has it to spend in a bank account.
Hmm all right. I wonder what the likelyhood of being asked for proof of funds is though.. I literally never heard of such cases before until very recently. Perhaps it's not common?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hmm all right. I wonder what the likelyhood of being asked for proof of funds is though.. I literally never heard of such cases before until very recently. Perhaps it's not common?
Most of the time it doesn't happen. However when it does, the traveler needs to be able to demonstrate they have the funds to cover their visit. IF she is asked and has zero funds to show for a six month visit, that is going to be a problem. So small chance of being asked. But the potential for big problems if she is asked. Always think about things from CBSA's perspective. Doesn't look good if someone is coming here for half a year and has no money.

Of course you can certainly roll the dice and hope she isn't asked. Your call.

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
Most of the time it doesn't happen. However when it does, the traveler needs to be able to demonstrate they have the funds to cover their visit. IF she is asked and has zero funds to show for a six month visit, that is going to be a problem. So small chance of being asked. But the potential for big problems if she is asked. Always think about things from CBSA's perspective. Doesn't look good if someone is coming here for half a year and has no money.

Of course you can certainly roll the dice and hope she isn't asked. Your call.
Well the issue is she doesn't have a bank account as she never had the need for it. I could.. ask her to make it but I see no point as I plan to have her stay here as a visitor for a while (through visitor record extension) all the while processing her PR application through spousal visa.

So without a bank account.. the best I could do really seems to be provide some cash (maybe $3500) with other documents like my job letter, bank letter, bank statements, credit card statements, pay stubs, ID cards and proof of relationship and that's about all I have in my mind.

Perhaps this seems unrealistic?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well the issue is she doesn't have a bank account as she never had the need for it. I could.. ask her to make it but I see no point as I plan to have her stay here as a visitor for a while (through visitor record extension) all the while processing her PR application through spousal visa.

So without a bank account.. the best I could do really seems to be provide some cash (maybe $3500) with other documents like my job letter, bank letter, bank statements, credit card statements, pay stubs, ID cards and proof of relationship and that's about all I have in my mind.

Perhaps this seems unrealistic?
Younger people visiting for longer periods of time tend to be the people who are flagged for further questioning because Canada wants to know how they will support themselves and proof they can support themselves without working illegally. How can a German citizen have no bank account? That is extremely unusual. Unfortunately things don't always work out in relationships so promising to cover her expenses is not usually enough. Visitors should have proof they could fly home if necessary and if they had to support themselves for a few days and buy a plane ticket.

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
Younger people visiting for longer periods of time tend to be the people who are flagged for further questioning because Canada wants to know how they will support themselves and proof they can support themselves without working illegally. How can a German citizen have no bank account? That is extremely unusual. Unfortunately things don't always work out in relationships so promising to cover her expenses is not usually enough. Visitors should have proof they could fly home if necessary and if they had to support themselves for a few days and buy a plane ticket.
Hi thanks for your input as well! Yeah the situation with the bank is rather unusual. I too was surprised but she just never had a need for one as of yet. Anyway I guess I'll provide her with enough in cash as she'll need some combined with my support to convince the border officers when the time comes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi thanks for your input as well! Yeah the situation with the bank is rather unusual. I too was surprised but she just never had a need for one as of yet. Anyway I guess I'll provide her with enough in cash as she'll need some combined with my support to convince the border officers when the time comes.
Would really suggest getting a bank account.

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
Would really suggest getting a bank account.
I welcome your suggestion. And normally I'd do the same. But as I mentioned above I plan on her staying here from her first visit and onwards (unless she must return) and don't really see a point in her making a foreign bank account with that being the case. But much thanks anyways:)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I welcome your suggestion. And normally I'd do the same. But as I mentioned above I plan on her staying here from her first visit and onwards (unless she must return) and don't really see a point in her making a foreign bank account with that being the case. But much thanks anyways:)
If stopped at the border and she says she doesn't have a bank account or credit card that would be a big red flag.

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
If stopped at the border and she says she doesn't have a bank account or credit card that would be a big red flag.
Maybe. But if I have her make one in the coming month or later it could look too suddenly created. Or maybe not? Not sure myself due to my lack of experience.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maybe. But if I have her make one in the coming month or later it could look too suddenly created. Or maybe not? Not sure myself due to my lack of experience.
Traveling internationally without a bank account is a red flag when you are coming from a country where most adults have bank accounts. Getting a bank account now would be advisable. How old is your gf? Have you met in person before? How much time have you spent together? \is she German? Has she considered looking at a working holiday visa?

EunpaKim

May 1, 2021
Traveling internationally without a bank account is a red flag when you are coming from a country where most adults have bank accounts. Getting a bank account now would be advisable. How old is your gf? Have you met in person before? How much time have you spent together? \is she German? Has she considered looking at a working holiday visa?
She is 21 years old. I have not met her in person unfortunately due to COVID19. We met on a game around 2019 December, been dating since 2020 May. Of course, we plan to meet before she comes here of course. We both agreed on that. I plan to see her around November 14th this year hoping COVID19 restrictions ease by that time. She is a German citizen yes. Working holiday visa is something I looked into but I thought coming as a visitor and then extending her stay would be more simple.