+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada - DUI 10 years from date, 9.5 years from sentencing and served

Jz123187

Oct 27, 2018
I had a DUI only, no injury or anything else in May 2009. My sentencing was in December of the same year. I’m hoping to visit a friend in May of 2019, 10 years after the event and 9.5 years after fulfilling all requirements and paying fines, serving one day sentence, etc etc....

After reading through a few forums, and the immigration / visa webpage It is extremely unclear to me what my options are and if I’ll even be considered admissible to Canada. What recommendations do you have for someone in my situation? It seems like a TRP isn’t necessarily the right thing as I’m trying to visit a friend and have no “official” business in Canada, perhaps I visit a consulate her in Los Angeles and consult with someone there? Do they even perform those services? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thank you!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had a DUI only, no injury or anything else in May 2009. My sentencing was in December of the same year. I’m hoping to visit a friend in May of 2019, 10 years after the event and 9.5 years after fulfilling all requirements and paying fines, serving one day sentence, etc etc....

After reading through a few forums, and the immigration / visa webpage It is extremely unclear to me what my options are and if I’ll even be considered admissible to Canada. What recommendations do you have for someone in my situation? It seems like a TRP isn’t necessarily the right thing as I’m trying to visit a friend and have no “official” business in Canada, perhaps I visit a consulate her in Los Angeles and consult with someone there? Do they even perform those services? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thank you!!
You are inadmissible to Canada until 10 years have passed since you completed all requirements/paid all fines relating to the DUI. So at the time you want to visit Canada, you will be inadmissible - meaning not allowed to enter Canada for any reason (the fact you have no official business in Canada is not relevant). Your options are to apply for rehabilitation (once approved you will no longer be inadmissible) or to obtain a TRP. Of course the third option is to delay your visit to Canada until a full 10 years have passed.

Reactions: Bryanna

brocktoon

Sep 20, 2018
You are inadmissible to Canada until 10 years have passed since you completed all requirements/paid all fines relating to the DUI. So at the time you want to visit Canada, you will be inadmissible - meaning not allowed to enter Canada for any reason (the fact you have no official business in Canada is not relevant). Your options are to apply for rehabilitation (once approved you will no longer be inadmissible) or to obtain a TRP. Of course the third option is to delay your visit to Canada until a full 10 years have passed.

Considering the amount of legwork do you have to do, and money you have to spend for the application, FBI and state records, miscellaneous paperwork, time. Consider that it takes about 6 to 8 months to approve, you better just wait it out because it so uncertain that it’s not worth wasting your money.