+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Canada after spousal sponsorship submission

vvvioleta

Jul 23, 2023
My husband has a visitor visa and he has visited Canada twice before we got married. Now he is planning to visit me in Canada at the end of the month and he has already bought the ticket. I am just wondering will there be any issue if I submit the spousal sponsorship application before his visit? Will they reject his entry? Will he be questioned at the airport when he arrive? Will there be any other negative consequences?

The application materials are almost ready. I am hesitant to submit the application becasue I am afraind of any possible negatvie consequences. His English is not good and I don't want him to be questioned when he arrived.

Anyone had similar experience before? Your suggestions will ge greatly appreciated.

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
I have visited multiple times on trv after marriage and we always declared it to the CBSA agents. Always stating very clearly there was no intent to enter on a trv and to settle.In the last ten years we never faced any issue, except this one time where an over enthusiastic officer decided to do more questioning- and then letting us pass through.

we didn’t clearly have any dual intent at that stage.

‘however, your case might be different because if you do submit the application before his arrival you will have to state your dual intent. It will be up to the officer to determine wether they determine his reasons strong enough to return to his home country to allow him entry. If his visit isn’t too long maybe best to submit the documents after the conclusion of his trip or after his entry.

I am slightly more cautious so I may take that approach but maybe the other forum members have some other advice to offer?

Abe2

Star Member
Aug 7, 2016
I'm currently residing abroad with my spouse, who has a Temporary Resident Visa and is in the process of spousal sponsorship. We recently traveled to Canada and informed the immigration officer at the airport about our ongoing spousal sponsorship application. The officer was quite courteous and didn't raise any questions.

I'm not certain if this is particularly relevant, given that we both live outside of Canada, but I thought it might be of some assistance.

Reactions: ERCAN

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Since the recent introduction of TRVs for sponsored spouses I tend to think that the having PR will not affect successful entry chances.
Just have a genuine story for his travel plans, what he expects to do while in Canada and when he plan to leave.

vvvioleta

Jul 23, 2023
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
Since the recent introduction of TRVs for sponsored spouses I tend to think that the having PR will not affect successful entry chances.
Just have a genuine story for his travel plans, what he expects to do while in Canada and when he plan to leave.
My husband is only going to be here for
I have visited multiple times on trv after marriage and we always declared it to the CBSA agents. Always stating very clearly there was no intent to enter on a trv and to settle.In the last ten years we never faced any issue, except this one time where an over enthusiastic officer decided to do more questioning- and then letting us pass through.

we didn’t clearly have any dual intent at that stage.

‘however, your case might be different because if you do submit the application before his arrival you will have to state your dual intent. It will be up to the officer to determine wether they determine his reasons strong enough to return to his home country to allow him entry. If his visit isn’t too long maybe best to submit the documents after the conclusion of his trip or after his entry.

I am slightly more cautious so I may take that approach but maybe the other forum members have some other advice to offer?

vvvioleta

Jul 23, 2023
My husband is only going to be here for two weeks because he only has two weeks of vacation. Will that be a valid reason? I am still a bit worried and thinking about submitting it after visit.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
While I don't see any major risks - no one can be sure what will happen at the border.
If you feel more comfortable then wait until he is with you. If this is less that a month of wait, it won't affect much your application.