Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10 April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
03 May 2013
LANDED..........
Tentative in July 2013
I am the primary applicant. We were requested to send passports for visa stamping which we did last week. We haven't recieved our passports back yet.
I want my mother-in-law to be with us for our settlement in Canada. My husband prepares her multiple entry tourist visa application package with the following things:

1) Government job
2) Leave approval & NOC from the department she works with
3) Funds proof of CAD $15000
4) Travel duration of 5 months from mid July to December 2013
5) Travel history of UK on family reunion.
6) No booking of flight made till application made.
7) No sponsorship.
8) Reason of travel shown was Tourism.
9) Shown that she owns a house with the proof of electricity bill and house tax.
10) Shown that her son lives in India and her daughter lives in UK.
11) She is 58 years old.

Based on above conditions her visa has been refused. Visa office stated that they are not satisfied that my mother-in-law will return back to India. They also stated that they aren't satisfied with the travel history and funds proof.

Our plans have really shattered at this point. My 2 year old son can't live without her for a single day. I and my family is very emotionally attached to her and want to take her along for 5 months. Then she is going to come back as she is employed in government.

Please suggest how should we convince visa officer that she will come back. I know it's difficult to get tourist visa once rejected. But is there an option that once I recieve our passports with visa stamping (PR) then we send multiple entry tourist visa application package again with copy of our PR and COPR to assure visa officer that my mother-in-law will come back?

Please suggest the options of taking her along to canada. I can't let her live here alone with no one here to take care of. In the month of december her daughter would be coming back so there shall be no problem of being here lonely.

I request all senior members to suggest what should I do in this case.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lovi2782 said:
Please suggest how should we convince visa officer that she will come back. I know it's difficult to get tourist visa once rejected. But is there an option that once I recieve our passports with visa stamping (PR) then we send multiple entry tourist visa application package again with copy of our PR and COPR to assure visa officer that my mother-in-law will come back?
I would avoid specifically including a copy of your PR or CORP. All this will do is demonstrate that your mother now has stronger ties to Canada than before (since you are becoming PRs) and will make CIC suspect even more that she has plans to remain in Canada long term.

If you want to apply again, you should include additional evidence that shows she has strong ties to India and will return at the end of her visit. Can you submit proof of property ownership? Proof of property rental? Any other assets?

I would recommend you try for a single entry visa next time.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I was in this same situation -- I landed in August, found an apartment in Victoria, and applied for my mother-in-law to come with my wife and son (who was 1.5 years old). She got a visa, no problem; and they gave her 6 months at the border and told her she could stay for another 6 if she wanted. I don't know if the fact that I am American and not Asian contributed to this, or that my mother-in-law had a husband in Thailand. Also, the obvious fact that my wife was travelling alone with a toddler was the reason for her mother accompanying her. Your letter has some suggestions as to why you were refused:

- your son can't live apart from her for a single day. Why are you immigrating then? This statement suggests that you have made plans to avoid living apart from her.

- she can't live alone with no one to take care of her. She doesn't sound like someone with strong ties to her country. My mother in law lived in a village surrounded by friends and relatives.

The suggestion not to mention your PR is pointless -- are you going to lie and pretend to be going to Canada as tourists? They will ask to see your visa.

lovi2782

Mar 4, 2013
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
Doc's Request.
21 Feb 2012
AOR Received.
20 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
20 Dec 2011
Med's Request
20 Feb 2012, 04 March 2013
Med's Done....
10 March 2012, 05 March 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10 April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
03 May 2013
LANDED..........
Tentative in July 2013
on-hold said:
I was in this same situation -- I landed in August, found an apartment in Victoria, and applied for my mother-in-law to come with my wife and son (who was 1.5 years old). She got a visa, no problem; and they gave her 6 months at the border and told her she could stay for another 6 if she wanted. I don't know if the fact that I am American and not Asian contributed to this, or that my mother-in-law had a husband in Thailand. Also, the obvious fact that my wife was travelling alone with a toddler was the reason for her mother accompanying her. Your letter has some suggestions as to why you were refused:

- your son can't live apart from her for a single day. Why are you immigrating then? This statement suggests that you have made plans to avoid living apart from her.

- she can't live alone with no one to take care of her. She doesn't sound like someone with strong ties to her country. My mother in law lived in a village surrounded by friends and relatives.

The suggestion not to mention your PR is pointless -- are you going to lie and pretend to be going to Canada as tourists? They will ask to see your visa.
Another thing that I forgot to mention that my father-in-law expired 18 years back. What you suggest is that I should land first and then sponsor her? I understand that since my mother-in-law would be alone once we have gone and that's why visa officer refused our case that she do not have reasons to come back. What should I do now? Please suggest some options.

lovi2782

Mar 4, 2013
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
Doc's Request.
21 Feb 2012
AOR Received.
20 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
20 Dec 2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10 April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
03 May 2013
LANDED..........
Tentative in July 2013
scylla said:
I would avoid specifically including a copy of your PR or CORP. All this will do is demonstrate that your mother now has stronger ties to Canada than before (since you are becoming PRs) and will make CIC suspect even more that she has plans to remain in Canada long term.

If you want to apply again, you should include additional evidence that shows she has strong ties to India and will return at the end of her visit. Can you submit proof of property ownership? Proof of property rental? Any other assets?

I would recommend you try for a single entry visa next time.
I think the CIC is concerned about disappearing in Canada once landed on tourist visa. If we include our PR and COPR then we are responsible for sending her back and we will be held accountable if she doesn't come back.

Currently visa officer thinks that since there is no one in Canada to be held responsible if she disappears they reject her case. Also, she is widowed and attaining retirement age, this make the case even more weaker.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I totally sympathize -- for us, the fact that we have a 3-year old makes immigrating torture for his grandparents. It really, really sucks, and we haven't found good enough work yet to visit Thailand regularly. This is also why immigration officers are wary of grandparents travelling as visitors. I don't know what to suggest, it's totally obvious that your mother wants to come with her grandkid, that is human nature. That is 100X better than some crummy government job. It will make it hard to get a visa, especially now that she's been refused once.

Personally, I would try this. Apply again, and write a letter that is perfectly frank. Tell the visa officer that you understand it looks like your mother will stay in Canada, and explain that she won't because you aren't settled there yet, and she would rather apply for the long-term visitor in the future and split her life between Canada and India. Maybe they will accept that and give her a single-entry visa.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Merely saying that she has $15,000 CDN is not enough. As a host, you also need to provide financial document too, so as to convince the VO that you are financially capable to look after your visitor when he/she visit you in Canada.

In your invitation letter, did you mention the purpose why she need to get the multiple entry visa? Why mid July to December 2013?

My mother in law's visa was refused once, but she got the multiple visa the next time. She is currently with us in Vancouver. So I would disagree what on-hold had said in the previous post. If enough supporting document were given, the VO might be convinced and your visitor might get the visa.

lovi2782

Mar 4, 2013
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
Doc's Request.
21 Feb 2012
AOR Received.
20 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
20 Dec 2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10 April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
03 May 2013
LANDED..........
Tentative in July 2013
steaky said:
Merely saying that she has $15,000 CDN is not enough. As a host, you also need to provide financial document too, so as to convince the VO that you are financially capable to look after your visitor when he/she visit you in Canada.

In your invitation letter, did you mention the purpose why she need to get the multiple entry visa? Why mid July to December 2013?

My mother in law's visa was refused once, but she got the multiple visa the next time. She is currently with us in Vancouver. So I would disagree what on-hold had said in the previous post. If enough supporting document were given, the VO might be convinced and your visitor might get the visa.
Just to update that I haven't landed in Canada yet so there is no point in invitation letter that can be shown currently. Is there a way that I can convince visa officer that my mother-in-law would come back based on PR that I have?

lovi2782

Mar 4, 2013
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
Doc's Request.
21 Feb 2012
AOR Received.
20 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
20 Dec 2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10 April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
03 May 2013
LANDED..........
Tentative in July 2013
Any advice is greatly appreciated...

MASunny

Apr 20, 2012
Madam,

If you don't mind, my opinion is that 'you had made a mistake!'

Applying a tourist visa for close relative before landing always produce such results. Now you can't convince visa officers as they have your mother-in-law's full details. So cool down, get your passports & fly without your mo-in-law. Train your son to live without his grandmother.

Once you land & become PR resident then you could apply super-visa for your mother-in-law but be informed that your previous application would remain be there and chances would be 51-49%, means you would have only 51% chances to get her visa in second attempt and you have to write convincing details that your mo-in-law has strong ties with India & she would returned back after completion of Super Visa tenure!

Good Luck!

lovi2782 said:
I am the primary applicant. We were requested to send passports for visa stamping which we did last week. We haven't recieved our passports back yet.
I want my mother-in-law to be with us for our settlement in Canada. My husband prepares her multiple entry tourist visa application package with the following things:

1) Government job
2) Leave approval & NOC from the department she works with
3) Funds proof of CAD $15000
4) Travel duration of 5 months from mid July to December 2013
5) Travel history of UK on family reunion.
6) No booking of flight made till application made.
7) No sponsorship.
8) Reason of travel shown was Tourism.
9) Shown that she owns a house with the proof of electricity bill and house tax.
10) Shown that her son lives in India and her daughter lives in UK.
11) She is 58 years old.

Based on above conditions her visa has been refused. Visa office stated that they are not satisfied that my mother-in-law will return back to India. They also stated that they aren't satisfied with the travel history and funds proof.

Our plans have really shattered at this point. My 2 year old son can't live without her for a single day. I and my family is very emotionally attached to her and want to take her along for 5 months. Then she is going to come back as she is employed in government.

Please suggest the options of taking her along to canada. I can't let her live here alone with no one here to take care of. In the month of december her daughter would be coming back so there shall be no problem of being here lonely.

I request all senior members to suggest what should I do in this case.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lovi2782 said:
Just to update that I haven't landed in Canada yet so there is no point in invitation letter that can be shown currently. Is there a way that I can convince visa officer that my mother-in-law would come back based on PR that I have?
I had noted some Canadian citizen (in this forum) living outside Canada with their spouse had sent invitation letters to their spouse to enable their spouse to get visa to Canada. That's the point.

Sure there's a way to convince VO. But did you indicate where you would be living in Canada, how you going to support yourself and support/undertaking your visitor? Is the $15,000 CDN for the entire family or just for your mother in law? To me, $15,000 is not enough to pay for accommodation, transportation and food for the 5 months intended stay.

In contradiction the previous poster had said, I don't think your mother in law can get a super visa after you just landed. You need a notice of assessment for the previous year to show that you have reached at certain income level in order to do so. She can try to get a regular visitor visa though.

If you cannot train your son to live without his grandmother, see if you can apply a US visa for the entire family? If that is possible, your son and his grandmother can return to India after your landing (via road) from the US.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lovi2782 said:
Any advice is greatly appreciated...
You can try applying for a super visa after you have landed in Canada and become PRs. You will also need to have a job that meets the low income cut off to qualify. Your mother will also have to pass a medical. To be approved, your mother in law will have to prove she has no plans to remain in Canada long term. Long story short - there is no guarantee she will be approved.

You can also sponsor her for PR after you yourselves have become PRs. However this won't be possible until sometime next year because CIC is not accepting parent sponsorship applications at this time. Also, the new requirements have yet to be released so it is not possible to say at this time if you will qualify to sponsor her.

If you had an expectation that your mother in law would be able to come with you when you moved to Canada then this was an unrealistic expectation.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You can try applying for a super visa after you have landed in Canada and become PRs. You will also need to have a job that meets the low income cut off to qualify. Your mother will also have to pass a medical. To be approved, your mother in law will have to prove she has no plans to remain in Canada long term. Long story short - there is no guarantee she will be approved.
I have read somewhere in this forum that even though one applied for super visa, even if it was approved, the border officer might give the person a regular visitor visa.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Steaky might be right, there's no way to know. For the record, my wife's mother got a visa before my wife and son landed (but I had already landed). Personally, I feel that the best course is honesty, and acknowledging how things look: there's no point in pretending that your mother will absolutely, 100% return to India when she obviously has reasons not to. I would tell the visa officer that:

- she likes her home, she doesn't want to leave her job and friends
- but she would like to see where her child and grandchild will be living
- maybe in the future you will apply for her to accompany you, but right now a single trip or a supervisa are enough

But that's just me, I've had successes and failures.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
steaky said:
I have read somewhere in this forum that even though one applied for super visa, even if it was approved, the border officer might give the person a regular visitor visa.
Yes - that happened to someone on the forum.