+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Refused after 6 months waiting period. What a Joke

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I think there is a lot of truth to this.

If they see you have travelled a lot and have not spent a lot of time in your home country, this is generally when people get refusals.

I really don't know why they are this tough on people applying for temporary permits, i think they should look at the profile of the person. If it's clear the person would have a very good profile for PR, what is the point of refusing them? I understand if the person doesn't have a lot of funds or is not well educated, but they have a good profile, they should be happy that this person may apply for PR eventually if they come on a study permit.

It's just a weird part of the system.
There's no secret formula. I applied when I was in the US (similar situation to OP) and got rejected the first time because I didn't write a SOP and provided extensive documentation. Second time around, pretty much provided everything, EAD card, paystubs as well as wrote a comprehensive SOP and got accepted. I think it really depends on if you can convince the person reading your application at the time.

Reactions: Islander216 and D_D

skyman2020

Feb 19, 2020
Guys below is my profile. Got a refusel last week. Applied SDS Category on January 23rd.
Interviewed February 12th. Received correspondent letter on March 31st. Received refusel letter July 7th.
Education:
Bachelor in Environmental Engineering from USA. Applied for PGD for Construction Management.
Work Experience: 3 years construction Manager
Previous Travel History: USA, UK, Turkey
Assests: Property, land, car, 100K CAD in Bank
-Paid 15k CAD GIC and 17K CAD Tuition in advance.
IELTS: 8 overall.

Below is the Refusel Letter.

Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.
Personally, the only red flag I see here is going for a PGD instead of a master degree. I follow a different forum where it has been established that a master degree shows better academic progression than a PGD if you have a good enough grade for a masters degree. It is believed the VO sees applying for an easier degree as a ploy to desperately come to Canada. I understand that it might not make sense considering that your program of choice might be exactly what you need.
You have a very strong profile and I feel sorry for your refusal.
I will advise you think of a masters degree or proceed to the UK like you said and apply for Express Entry after your studies. You can also explain in a strongly worded SOP why you have chosen this program and what you intend to use the degree for if you decide to stick to same program and reapply. This recommendation though should be done while any of the first two is going on to have something to fall back on.

Reactions: D_D

usman314

Jul 12, 2020
Hey its ok. Gotta accept the reality. I already applied for Master program in UK for September intake. Hopefully i will start there if all goes well. I was in UK last year so its not bad at all.
I did apply for GCMS notes, just wanted to see visa officer comments in details.
Now gotta get my refund for GIC and tuition.
Very sad to hear about it. Do share GCMS notes with us.

Reactions: Zarak ali

Shazd85

Oct 28, 2019
Personally, the only red flag I see here is going for a PGD instead of a master degree. I follow a different forum where it has been established that a master degree shows better academic progression than a PGD if you have a good enough grade for a masters degree. It is believed the VO sees applying for an easier degree as a ploy to desperately come to Canada. I understand that it might not make sense considering that your program of choice might be exactly what you need.
You have a very strong profile and I feel sorry for your refusal.
I will advise you think of a masters degree or proceed to the UK like you said and apply for Express Entry after your studies. You can also explain in a strongly worded SOP why you have chosen this program and what you intend to use the degree for if you decide to stick to same program and reapply. This recommendation though should be done while any of the first two is going on to have something to fall back on.
Would definitely take that in consideration. I havent requested a refund yet. Once i get the GCMS notes and clear picture of refusal i may reapply if i see the light end of the tunnel [lol]while my UK application is pending. UK process is prettt quick and straightforward. If i get accepted there then will not continue with Canada profile and get the refund. Thanks for the output.

Mandalorian

Nov 21, 2019
winnipeg
NOC Code......
Would definitely take that in consideration. I havent requested a refund yet. Once i get the GCMS notes and clear picture of refusal i may reapply if i see the light end of the tunnel [lol]while my UK application is pending. UK process is prettt quick and straightforward. If i get accepted there then will not continue with Canada profile and get the refund. Thanks for the output.
How long does it usually take to receive GCMS notes?
And how much does it cost?

Mohan532

Mar 5, 2020
I think there is a lot of truth to this.

If they see you have travelled a lot and have not spent a lot of time in your home country, this is generally when people get refusals.

I really don't know why they are this tough on people applying for temporary permits, i think they should look at the profile of the person. If it's clear the person would have a very good profile for PR, what is the point of refusing them? I understand if the person doesn't have a lot of funds or is not well educated, but they have a good profile, they should be happy that this person may apply for PR eventually if they come on a study permit.

It's just a weird part of the system.
Absolutely true!

canadian_student

Star Member
Jun 10, 2011
Canada
Guys below is my profile. Got a refusel last week. Applied SDS Category on January 23rd.
Interviewed February 12th. Received correspondent letter on March 31st. Received refusel letter July 7th.
Education:
Bachelor in Environmental Engineering from USA. Applied for PGD for Construction Management.

Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

That's bad but don't lose hope. Go ahead and submit your application again with strong SOP (statement of purpose, explain why you are taking this course) and separate explanation letter explaining why you disagree with officer's decision.

Do you know why they interviewed you and what did they ask? (Your travel to Turkey could be the reason for interview)

I would suggest order notes to dig actual reason before you reapply.

Good Luck!

abhijeetsingh2218

Feb 11, 2015
Education:

Brother I believe you have overdone your application and shown your funds much more than what is required. for example GIC, which should be 10000 dollars but you had made a GIC certificate for 15k. I had consulted an immigration lawyer from canada and I was told, do whatever has been written on the CIC site only. If you overdo, then it shows your desperation to come to canada by any means which in a way invites a refusal. I may be wrong! Its just an opinion. But I am sure you will get it in the next attempt. All the best!

Shazd85

Oct 28, 2019
Brother I believe you have overdone your application and shown your funds much more than what is required. for example GIC, which should be 10000 dollars but you had made a GIC certificate for 15k. I had consulted an immigration lawyer from canada and I was told, do whatever has been written on the CIC site only. If you overdo, then it shows your desperation to come to canada by any means which in a way invites a refusal. I may be wrong! Its just an opinion. But I am sure you will get it in the next attempt. All the best!
Lol I am in UK already. Almost finish with 1st semester.