AOR Received.
17-11-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
15-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2010
What to do? I just got my visa and plan on landing in Canada around July. By that time our baby will have been born, but outside Canada. The wife (sponsor, naturalized Canadian citizen) plans on getting the babe hooked up with Canadian citizenship right after birth, and we will take the little rascal with us to Toronto (obviously).

Now, in my paperwork that I received with my visa there were enough warnings about failing to mention any kids before landing will result in...., and inform us immediately about any births or changes... Well, I already have my visa, so technically I am free to land in Canada, but I plan to do so just after the little pup is born. What can I expect in the way of paperwork, chats, explaining myself, etc? Am I right in assuming that sponsoring the kid will not be an issue since it is to have Canadian citizenship??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should let CIC know when the baby is born but it will not be an issue with your visa because the baby is not being sponsored.

To get the baby with you to Canada, once it's born, you need to go to the Canadian embassy and apply for a citizenship certificate for the baby as well as a temporary passport.

alok11

Oct 3, 2009
Leon, with no disrespect, are you sure of what you just said?
The guy has already got his PR visas for his whole family, they are yet to land, they are expecting a new baby!
As par CIC instructions, if there is any changes to family composition ( e.g death, birth, health change, etc even after the visas have been issued but before landing), these changes must be reported to the CIC, the visas that have been issued are invalid!!!. If they land in canada before the baby is born, that's a different issue but before landing am afraid, your visas are absolutely invalid!
Once the baby is born, the changes in family composition must be reported to the CIC and you wait for their instructions. If I were you, I would go land and have the baby in canada to avoid unneccessary delays. My 2cent worth! Decision is totally yours.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
The mother is a naturalised citizen, so the baby will be a citizen as well. Therefore I wonder if the child is at all relevant for immigration purposes. That being said, it's still advisable to contact the CIC regardless to show them that you're willing to play ball. Unless, of course, you try to find a cheap flight to Canada and back to land before the child is born.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alok11 said:
Leon, with no disrespect, are you sure of what you just said?
The guy has already got his PR visas for his whole family, they are yet to land, they are expecting a new baby!
As par CIC instructions, if there is any changes to family composition ( e.g death, birth, health change, etc even after the visas have been issued but before landing), these changes must be reported to the CIC, the visas that have been issued are invalid!!!. If they land in canada before the baby is born, that's a different issue but before landing am afraid, your visas are absolutely invalid!
Once the baby is born, the changes in family composition must be reported to the CIC and you wait for their instructions. If I were you, I would go land and have the baby in canada to avoid unneccessary delays. My 2cent worth! Decision is totally yours.
He did not get PR visas for his whole family. He is being sponsored by his Canadian citizen wife. Because his wife is a Canadian citizen, their baby will also be a citizen. The baby does not have to be sponsored for PR. He should still let CIC know when their baby is born but it will not affect his visa. Actually, if his plan is to land in Canada coming with his wife and baby, they will have to let CIC know about the baby anyway as they will have to go to the embassy and apply for the babies citizenship certificate and temporary passport.

The case that you are talking about of a family applying for PR together and having been issued their visas, yes, in that case it would be important to let CIC know of a new baby or marriage and get the visas re-issued to prevent any problems but that is not the case here.

Juche

Star Member
May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2009
AOR Received.
17-11-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
15-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2010
Thanks for the advice, always nice to try here before I brave the bureaucratic machinery and try to get an official answer. Needless to say I will check in with Canadian immigration before we head out. We didn't know about the baby until after I had sent in the paperwork, and this is a confusing issue because...well, the baby doesn't exist yet, in a manner of speaking.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
Family size is also a part of the sponsor's application, so be careful. You should definately report this so that the sponsor's portion of the agreement is accurate. It might effect the ability of the sponsor to be a sponsor if the sponsor were sponsoring somebody other than a spouse. In that cases, it would have financial implications; the sponsor would need to prove a greater income.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They should definitely tell CIC about the baby but it will not affect their application because like I said, the baby is a citizen and will not be sponsored and since you do not need to prove income to sponsor a spouse (or your own children), it will not matter for them that they have a baby now.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon is absolutely correct. Let them know, but as the baby is being born as a Canadian citizen, it will not affect the application.

jaundice_p

Jul 30, 2008
Leon is absolutely correct...when u arrive at the airport with the baby hold a canadian passport, no question will be asked...the mother is a citizen thus the baby also. I will join this chorus...inform immigration about it but be rest assured that it will definitely not affect you in anyway just as Leon stated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Naturalized citizen means that the person immigrated to Canada, applied for citizenship and got it. You also have Canadian born citizens, people who got citizenship because they were born in Canada and people who have citizenship by heritage, that is they were born outside Canada but got citizenship because of a citizen parent so that would be like their baby.