+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa for the Spouse and minor child of an International student

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi All ,

I have a study permit valid till March 2018 and I will be joining the college (2 year MBA from a public university) in Ontario in January 2017 .
What is the process to apply visas for my wife and a one year old baby so that they are able to travel with me .?

Thanks in advance .

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
sachinrace said:
Hi All ,

I have a study permit valid till March 2018 and I will be joining the college (2 year MBA from a public university) in Ontario in January 2017 .
What is the process to apply visas for my wife and a one year old baby so that they are able to travel with me .?

Thanks in advance .
Sure, your wife can process OWP or visitor visa and your kid is visitor visa and able to travel with you but you need prepare document in carefully so that they can get visa in properly manner.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
sachinrace said:
Hi All ,

Thanks in advance .
maybe a stupid question but a 2 year MBA starting Jan 2017 but your study permit only valid until March 2018.? Is that expiry date of your passport?

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
That's a good question actually . Apologies for forgetting to mention in the post that I had received my visa for the January 2016 session but I deferred to 2017 session due to personal reasons . I will be extending the visa before the expiry .

Thanks,
Sachin

sgsiri

Jul 24, 2016
sachinrace said:
Hi All ,

Thanks in advance .
Hey Sachin,

I am also in similar situation. I have my study permit till Jan 2018. I will be joining classes in Jan 2017.
We are also planning to apply for OWP for my spouse.
Are you planning to go through consultant?

Pinky4u

Aug 29, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Can Anyone suggest that is it better to apply for study permit with spouse and child 2 years together or separately. Or should I wait for my approval and then apply for them. I want to go for masters January 2017 intake. after graduation a gap of 6 years.

TomNy

May 2, 2016
sachinrace said:
That's a good question actually . Apologies for forgetting to mention in the post that I had received my visa for the January 2016 session but I deferred to 2017 session due to personal reasons . I will be extending the visa before the expiry .

Thanks,
Sachin
Hi Sachin,
May I know how long did the deferring process take since you submit the request? I submitted since 2 weeks but haven't received the reply from the school.
Thanks

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
Hey sgsiri ,

Glad to hear that . Which college will you be joining ? I will be joining York University .
I hate going through the consultants as they charge exorbitant fee for a work that can easily be done by ourselves .
I am still deciding to whether to go through VFS or directly with CIC .
This blog could be of some help to you .
http://abhishek-merablog.blogspot.in/2014/03/spousal-open-work-permit-sowp.html
I had used CIC services for my study permit .
The gentleman in the above blog went online through CIC but had to pay Rs 580 to VFS just for sending/receiving the passport .
VFS total processing fee is Rs 726 .
Do let me know how you proceed .
Keep in touch and all the very best .

Regards,
Sachin

sgsiri said:
Hey Sachin,

I am also in similar situation. I have my study permit till Jan 2018. I will be joining classes in Jan 2017.
We are also planning to apply for OWP for my spouse.
Are you planning to go through consultant?

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi Pinky4u,

If you are not in a hurry (still 3 months left ) then in my humble opinion you three must apply together .
Also get an advice from the experts on this forum regarding this .

This blog can be of some help .
http://abhishek-merablog.blogspot.in/2014/03/spousal-open-work-permit-sowp.html

All the very best .

Regards,
Sachin

Pinky4u said:
Hello,

Can Anyone suggest that is it better to apply for study permit with spouse and child 2 years together or separately. Or should I wait for my approval and then apply for them. I want to go for masters January 2017 intake. after graduation a gap of 6 years.

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi TomNy,

My deferral request was immediately processed and had to only wait for the revised offer letter which took around 3 weeks .
I applied to the York University , if that helps.

Regards,
Sachin

TomNy said:
Hi Sachin,
May I know how long did the deferring process take since you submit the request? I submitted since 2 weeks but haven't received the reply from the school.
Thanks

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
Hello Experts ,

Along with spouse open work permit I am applying visa for my one year old son .
I am not sure that whether I shall apply TRV for him or visitor visa .

CIC's website suggests this form for my son : Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257) (required)
and the fee as CAD 100 .

Please note that it is a visitor visa but temporary resident visa in brackets .

But if you go to this link : www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/result.asp?countrySelect=IN&lob=trp
It shows CAD 200 for a TRV and CAD 100 for Visitor visa .
Also if it will be a visitor visa then will it be issued for 6 months or for the duration I study there ?
Please help me decide which visa to apply for my son .

Thanks,
Sachin

TomNy

May 2, 2016
sachinrace said:
Hi TomNy,

My deferral request was immediately processed and had to only wait for the revised offer letter which took around 3 weeks .
I applied to the York University , if that helps.

Regards,
Sachin
Thanks Sachin,
Did the school notify that the deferral request is being processed?
I query from my school how to defer and received an email to guide step by step. In the email, she addressed that she will initiate deferring process whenever she receive the request letter with payable money order. And no response at all after 2 weeks.
My deadline to drop/registration the course is 19th Sep 2016 so I am so worried.

I will wait for another week.

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
Hey ,

I would urge you to make a phone call to them if you haven't already tried .
If it is York University that you are applying to then I can help you with some contacts .

Regards,
Sachin

TomNy said:
Thanks Sachin,
Did the school notify that the deferral request is being processed?
I query from my school how to defer and received an email to guide step by step. In the email, she addressed that she will initiate deferring process whenever she receive the request letter with payable money order. And no response at all after 2 weeks.
My deadline to drop/registration the course is 19th Sep 2016 so I am so worried.

I will wait for another week.

TomNy

May 2, 2016
sachinrace said:
Hey ,

I would urge you to make a phone call to them if you haven't already tried .
If it is York University that you are applying to then I can help you with some contacts .

Regards,
Sachin
Thanks,
I will call it tomorrow. I already have the contact from the school's website.

Pinky4u

Aug 29, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Sachin,

Thanks for the advise, I will definitely go through the site and yes I will apply for spouse and my daughter at the same time with my application.

Thanks again.