+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa for PGWP from outside Canada

Vprakatoor

Feb 4, 2019
Hi

I have a friend who has graduated from a college last year, got his 3 year Post graduate work permit valid from
sep 2018 to sep 2021.

He hasn't found a Job and is still looking for one(currently unemployed),
He did not apply for a Visa extension when he applied for PGWP so does not have a valid visa.

Since he is unemployed he does not have provincial Health insurance.

He had an illness and was advised by a walk in clinic that the illness could be life threatening if the tests come out positive but he cannot afford the tests( $3000 plus without a health plan)

he wants to leave for his home country and do the tests and possible treatment there as it is a fraction of the cost.

Question is can he apply for a Visa from his home country based on his valid PGWP even though he is currently unemployed? any advise would be greatly appreciated.

PS: this is for a friend of mine and not for me( i am not an agent/consultant) just a concerned friend.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I have a friend who has graduated from a college last year, got his 3 year Post graduate work permit valid from
sep 2018 to sep 2021.

He did not apply for a Visa extension when he applied for PGWP so does not have a valid visa.

He had an illness and was advised by a walk in clinic that the illness could be life threatening if the tests come out positive but he cannot afford the tests( $3000 plus without a health plan)

he wants to leave for his home country and do the tests and possible treatment there as it is a fraction of the cost.

Question is can he apply for a Visa from his home country based on his valid PGWP even though he is currently unemployed? any advise would be greatly appreciated.

PS: this is for a friend of mine and not for me( i am not an agent/consultant) just a concerned friend.

Thanks
Yes he can apply for TRV from abroad.

Goodwinthegr8

Star Member
Jul 10, 2016
Hi

sep 2018 to sep 2021.

Thanks

Hi,
I believe situation of your friend has probably changed and he has got a job and was able to do the tests after coming back to his/her home country.

To be honest, I am/was also in the same boat. I got my PGWP in May 2019 and then tried to get a proper job for 9 months (since completion of program) without any luck. So I have come back to my home country.

Having said that, to avoid such unpleasant situation, even though it costed me a lot still I took a health insurance. I paid the premium from the money I was getting from part time work there, as you can understand that was really too expensive for me but still did it as had no other option.

And finally, to answer your query (in case if you/your friend have not already got it 'answered' by now), YES he/she may get a TRV against his/her WP. You may check below link -
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/travel.html#trv