+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Extention Processing Times?

Ryissa

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
So I got a Visitor Record that was good until May 7th, and I mailed in my extension in Canada on about April 2nd and it was received April 4th.

How long do these extensions take to process? I read up to 35 days, but then I see the "Paper Application" times on the Temporary Residence part of the CIC site and it says 107 days. It's not a first-time application so I was wondering if that applied to extensions.

I'm still in Canada and I know I can stay until a decision is made, but what's troubling I'm kind of stuck here. I need to go back to the US for medication that's not covered in Canada (I have zero coverage here) and I'm fearing I won't be able to, so I really want to know if I should be expecting a 107-day wait. :x

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
The up-today processing times are posted here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

If you are living in the States, you do not need extension, you can travel back and forward (even being a green card holder).

Just keep in mind that if the extension of stay is granted it will be cancelled as soon as you leave Canada.

So, if you need to go back to the States, just go without waiting for their decision, it's no good for you any way.

Ryissa

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
Suin said:
The up-today processing times are posted here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp
So the 107-day wait is correct then?

If you are living in the States, you do not need extension, you can travel back and forward (even being a green card holder).

Just keep in mind that if the extension of stay is granted it will be cancelled as soon as you leave Canada.

So, if you need to go back to the States, just go without waiting for their decision, it's no good for you any way.
This is where I get confused over and over. I'm essentially living with my husband in Canada. I have to stay here and can't go back ever with the extension in place? I have to wait for my PR card to come in before I can go to the US? I've gone to the US and come back when the original VR was in place, and the border officers didn't say anything to me about it being cancelled when I left and came back. I know for sure I have to stay here until I receive an answer about the extension.