+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa extension while waiting for BC PNP

ducky1

Oct 15, 2014
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out. I have tried to find the answer on the internet but its all very confusing!

I am a 32 year old female from Australia. I have applied for my BC PNP and received confirmation that my application had been received on August 13th 2014. The current processing time for the BC PNP is 5-6 months however, my current work permit expires on November 13th 2014. I need to know if there is a way to extend my work permit while I wait for my PNP?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :)

akapoor

Nov 26, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
SINP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 03,2014
ducky1 said:
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out. I have tried to find the answer on the internet but its all very confusing!

I am a 32 year old female from Australia. I have applied for my BC PNP and received confirmation that my application had been received on August 13th 2014. The current processing time for the BC PNP is 5-6 months however, my current work permit expires on November 13th 2014. I need to know if there is a way to extend my work permit while I wait for my PNP?
File No. unfortunately is not good enough to extend work permit. unless your employer obtains LMIA (LMO) it's hard to extend work permit.

kachna

Jul 2, 2014
ducky1 said:
Hi.

I think the 'Bridging open work permit' (BOWP) is what you're looking for.
ww w.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2012-12-17.asp
ww w.visatalk.ca/bridging-open-work-permit/

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
BOWP is unfortunately only for those who have already received their PNP certificates, submitted their Permanent Residency applications, and gotten their federal receipts and file numbers ("AOR") from CIC.

Once you get your BC PNP certificate, you will get a letter of support which you can use to get a temporary work permit while you wait for your PR application to be processed. Based on the current estimates this will probably happen once your current work permit has already expired.

Before that, I think your only option is to apply for a positive LMIA like akapoor said. Or alternatively go back home to wait for the PNP process to go through, and then come back to Canada with the PNP support letter and get your temporary permit at the port of entry (or stay in Canada as a visitor, which is what I did for 1.5 months while waiting for my certificate). But depending on your work situation that might not be ideal. I'm not sure if implied status would work in this case either, since you need to have a work permit application in process to get implied status, and you need your PNP certificate to be eligible to apply for a work permit.

I really wish all the PNPs had some kind of infrastructure in place for these types of situations.. so many people out there trying to figure out how to organize their lives because the immigration processes are just dragging on, and neither CIC or the PNPs are doing anything to help.

But I've met with an immigration consultant a couple of times in Vancouver who's pretty decent, I can share his information if you'd like to hear about your options from someone who actually knows this stuff :)

Reactions: banwait8788

banwait8788

Apr 14, 2020
BOWP is unfortunately only for those who have already received their PNP certificates, submitted their Permanent Residency applications, and gotten their federal receipts and file numbers ("AOR") from CIC.

Once you get your BC PNP certificate, you will get a letter of support which you can use to get a temporary work permit while you wait for your PR application to be processed. Based on the current estimates this will probably happen once your current work permit has already expired.

Before that, I think your only option is to apply for a positive LMIA like akapoor said. Or alternatively go back home to wait for the PNP process to go through, and then come back to Canada with the PNP support letter and get your temporary permit at the port of entry (or stay in Canada as a visitor, which is what I did for 1.5 months while waiting for my certificate). But depending on your work situation that might not be ideal. I'm not sure if implied status would work in this case either, since you need to have a work permit application in process to get implied status, and you need your PNP certificate to be eligible to apply for a work permit.

I really wish all the PNPs had some kind of infrastructure in place for these types of situations.. so many people out there trying to figure out how to organize their lives because the immigration processes are just dragging on, and neither CIC or the PNPs are doing anything to help.

But I've met with an immigration consultant a couple of times in Vancouver who's pretty decent, I can share his information if you'd like to hear about your options from someone who actually knows this stuff :)
How about applying for restoration of status to stay inland until a decision has been made..?