+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa extension for a spouse

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
Update : I cant submit the form IMM5708. I keep receiving this message no matter what i do

Error: We couldn't upload your file.
  • Error Description:
    You have submitted an invalid form. Please complete and validate an electronic version of the application form, save it to your computer, and upload it.

Note: You cannot submit an application form that has been scanned.

You do not need to sign your application form. You must provide a digital signature once you are ready to transmit your completed application.

the form is validated, not scanned nor signed. I changed dates, made sure everything matches the information on the questionnaire, everything else is submitted except for this one and I already sent for technical support. any ideas ?

Update:

Problem solved. after too many attempts, search and reading, I have tried everything you could think of and the invalid form message kept appearing. it finally worked when I answered NO to the question of "Do you have a national ID"
even though I do have a national ID issued from my home country but the form wont upload with that information for some reason, so I answered No to that question, made sure everything else is correct.

after that I wrote an explaining letter and disclose the information about the national ID and submit the application.if you're here because you are facing a similar issue, this might be worth trying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eveslm

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I have a national ID as well. And I did put yes. I was not able to validate the form until I removed spaces and hyphens from the national ID number. I was able to upload my form with the national ID in it. Perhaps it depends on the nationality or whatever. In the end its great you have finally been able to upload your document.

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
I have a national ID as well. And I did put yes. I was not able to validate the form until I removed spaces and hyphens from the national ID number. I was able to upload my form with the national ID in it. Perhaps it depends on the nationality or whatever. In the end its great you have finally been able to upload your document.
My national ID does not have any space or hyphens but the form did not accept it for some reason. anyways I am glad the struggle is over. Thank you for trying to help me, I appreciate that

Reactions: Eveslm

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
7- Last but not least, after the extension is approved *finger crossed* and the OWP is approved, I read in the official website that I will be allowed to apply for a new visitor visa from within Canada, do i need to prove ties to my home country in that one or a proof ties to Canada to get it approved ?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, I appreciate the help
Update: OWP is approved and the visitor extension app is cancelled since now I have status, can someone please answer my last question about obtaining new visitor visa from within Canada ? Thank you

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
That's a tough one. I think you sort of need to do both. You are aware that leaving Canada for more than a week or two is generally seen by IRCC as abandoning an inland sponsorship application, yes?

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
That's a tough one. I think you sort of need to do both. You are aware that leaving Canada for more than a week or two is generally seen by IRCC as abandoning an inland sponsorship application, yes?

I am aware with the risk associated with that yes. I just don’t know what are the chances of a TRV from within Canada being approved and what do I need to do to get it?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I am familiar with the link you posted but it doesn't say anything about dual intent or having a PR app in process
Did not know you were asking about dual intent? I thought you only wanted to know how to obtain visa from within Canada

The most challenging part is that you have a PR- inland application, which requires you to stay in Canada while its being processed. Applying for a TRV will show that you intend to leave Canada. Perhaps you can stress in your application that you intend to make a short trip (you might want to explain the reasons)? and come back to Canada (because you have an inland PR application in process). While you will explain your reasons for re-entering, you also need to show your intent to leave Canada when/if you are required to do so (leaving Canada if your PR application is not successful, and your work permit expires).

I applied to extend my stay and stated dual intent although I had not yet paid nor submitted my PR application and I was approved 1 year. I explained my ties back home and explained that I would leave Canada should the PR get refused ( You asked about ties, I think showing ties back home shows you have 'ties' to go back to should the PR get refused)

Not sure if this will help your case, here is where I read about dual intent when I was applying for mine:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I am aware with the risk associated with that yes. I just don’t know what are the chances of a TRV from within Canada being approved and what do I need to do to get it?
You have an OWP which qualifies you to apply for TRV while still in Canada. People with study/work permits can apply for TRV while in Canada and they can get approved or rejected just as others applying for TRV outside Canada. It depends on your application.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
You have an OWP which qualifies you to apply for TRV while still in Canada. People with study/work permits can apply for TRV while in Canada and they can get approved or rejected just as others applying for TRV outside Canada. It depends on your application.

Thank you for all of your replies, the thing is I have been following a thread for the TRV from within Canada and I haven’t seen anyone with a an open work permit getting rejected, the other thing I filled a questionnaire in the official website and the result was that I am eligible to apply and the requirements were a little different from the application I filled for my vistor record which got canceled because I received my OWP right after that and therefore I have a status and don’t need it anymore. My OWP says “this doesn’t authorize re-entry” so I’m assuming they expect some people to apply for TRVs to be able to re-enter.

I just wish someone in the same position could help me I’ve been asking and reading but couldn’t find anyone who had been in the same situation.