+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa extension for a spouse

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
Hello everyone,

I tried to look up my questions before posting this thread but i couldn't find exactly what i am looking for.

I am filling the extension application since my visitor visa expires in 20th of May and I have a few questions before submitting it.

1-First of all I prepared all the required documents but not sure if I have enough supporting documents. this is what I have
- required forms + required documents
- proof of funds
- marriage certificate + the spouse status
- receipts of the sponsorship app + Owp + the receipt signed by S wong
is that enough ?

2-I intend to write a letter to explain the reason of extension which is waiting on the PR app to be processed is there anything else i should mention to avoid refusal ?

3-in the form i filled the present occupation as unemployed is that okay as it shows less ties to my home country? Do i need to prove any ties to my home country the same way we do with TRV?

4- is it okay to request a year or does it have to be less than 6 months like a regular TRV ?

5- I read in some posts something about entry stamps but my passport wasn't stamped as a visitor and I never received a visitor record either would that be an issue?

6- I also couldn't sign the Family form in my computer, do I need to print and scan it again or there is another way of doing it - I am applying online.

7- Last but not least, after the extension is approved *finger crossed* and the OWP is approved, I read in the official website that I will be allowed to apply for a new visitor visa from within Canada, do i need to prove ties to my home country in that one or a proof ties to Canada to get it approved ?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, I appreciate the help

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
Update : I cant submit the form IMM5708. I keep receiving this message no matter what i do

Error: We couldn't upload your file.
  • Error Description:
    You have submitted an invalid form. Please complete and validate an electronic version of the application form, save it to your computer, and upload it.

Note: You cannot submit an application form that has been scanned.

You do not need to sign your application form. You must provide a digital signature once you are ready to transmit your completed application.

the form is validated, not scanned nor signed. I changed dates, made sure everything matches the information on the questionnaire, everything else is submitted except for this one and I already sent for technical support. any ideas ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Update : I cant submit the form IMM5708. I keep receiving this message no matter what i do

Error: We couldn't upload your file.
  • Error Description:
    You have submitted an invalid form. Please complete and validate an electronic version of the application form, save it to your computer, and upload it.

Note: You cannot submit an application form that has been scanned.

You do not need to sign your application form. You must provide a digital signature once you are ready to transmit your completed application.

the form is validated, not scanned nor signed. I changed dates, made sure everything matches the information on the questionnaire, everything else is submitted except for this one and I already sent for technical support. any ideas ?
Download a new one again from the CIC website. Sometimes the forms are updated or changed from when you first downloaded them and that could cause this issue.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello everyone,

I tried to look up my questions before posting this thread but i couldn't find exactly what i am looking for.

I am filling the extension application since my visitor visa expires in 20th of May and I have a few questions before submitting it.

1-First of all I prepared all the required documents but not sure if I have enough supporting documents. this is what I have
- required forms + required documents
- proof of funds
- marriage certificate + the spouse status
- receipts of the sponsorship app + Owp + the receipt signed by S wong
is that enough ?
As you have already sent in your PR app, you are already in status. Nonetheless, you can apply to extend your visitor status just in case the PR app is returned for some reason (hopefully not).

2-I intend to write a letter to explain the reason of extension which is waiting on the PR app to be processed is there anything else i should mention to avoid refusal ?
Chances of a refusal are slim to none.

This is Dual Intent. Allowed by IRCC

3-in the form i filled the present occupation as unemployed is that okay as it shows less ties to my home country? Do i need to prove any ties to my home country the same way we do with TRV?
Not required

4- is it okay to request a year or does it have to be less than 6 months like a regular TRV ?
One year is fine.

5- I read in some posts something about entry stamps but my passport wasn't stamped as a visitor and I never received a visitor record either would that be an issue?
Not an issue.

6- I also couldn't sign the Family form in my computer, do I need to print and scan it again or there is another way of doing it - I am applying online.
Electronic signature

7- Last but not least, after the extension is approved *finger crossed* and the OWP is approved, I read in the official website that I will be allowed to apply for a new visitor visa from within Canada, do i need to prove ties to my home country in that one or a proof ties to Canada to get it approved ?
When does your current TRV expire?

Do keep in mind that you should not plan to leave Canada while your inland PR app is being processed. There are chances that you may not be allowed back in

Reactions: analoo

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
Download a new one again from the CIC website. Sometimes the forms are updated or changed from when you first downloaded them and that could cause this issue.
I did that, it didn't work, i tried different browsers, I even tried the french version, nothing is working

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
As you have already sent in your PR app, you are already in status. Nonetheless, you can apply to extend your visitor status just in case the PR app is returned for some reason (hopefully not).

Chances of a refusal are slim to none.

This is Dual Intent. Allowed by IRCC

Not required

One year is fine.

Not an issue.

Electronic signature

When does your current TRV expire?

Do keep in mind that you should not plan to leave Canada while your inland PR app is being processed. There are chances that you may not be allowed back in

Thank you for your answers, my current TRV expires in May. I am aware that it's not advised to leave but with my family current situation I want to be prepared for - God forbid -any emergencies

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014
Thank you for your answers, my current TRV expires in May. I am aware that it's not advised to leave but with my family current situation I want to be prepared for - God forbid -any emergencies
You are doing 100% correct. You should apply for extension before 20 April 2019, then your status will become implied status. and you can stay in Canada till they do not give you extension. As your PR application in process, normally in this situation they wont process your extension application till your PR application in process. And hopefully your PR application will approve then they will return your visa fee for extension.
-D

Reactions: analoo

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
You are doing 100% correct. You should apply for extension before 20 April 2019, then your status will become implied status. and you can stay in Canada till they do not give you extension. As your PR application in process, normally in this situation they wont process your extension application till your PR application in process. And hopefully your PR application will approve then they will return your visa fee for extension.
-D

well, I am still unable to upload the form IMM5708, technical help didn't help exactly, sent a request to the IRCC web form with screen shots and everything but i still haven't heard from them. I am doing my best to avoid a paper application considering the amount of time that will take to process
I have been trying since the beginning of April
any ideas ?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I contacted immigration through the web form, anyone knows when they usually get back to inquiries ?
I had the same problem, then i downloaded the form from my checklist (online checklist), filled it and uploaded it successfully

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
I had the same problem, then i downloaded the form from my checklist (online checklist), filled it and uploaded it successfully
Thank you for your reply. can I know which browser did you use ? was the date of your visa expiration the same in the form and the questionnaire ? did you choose the purpose of your stay to Visit or Visit family ?

I am sorry that i am asking too many questions but I have been trying to solve the issue since beginning of April

Thank you

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Thank you for your reply. can I know which browser did you use ? was the date of your visa expiration the same in the form and the questionnaire ? did you choose the purpose of your stay to Visit or Visit family ?

I am sorry that i am asking too many questions but I have been trying to solve the issue since beginning of April

Thank you
Used Chrome. Date was same. And purpose was family visit