+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visa exempt passport can re-entry without PR card?

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
Can I land with my COPR, leave Canada (on business) before my PR card arrives, and then re-enter before my PR card arrives?

I am from a visa exempt country.

I read on the forums a while back, but whichever way I search I don't find the relevant post(s). Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can re-enter Canada with a visa exempted passport. However, you might need to show your landing papers to the border officer.

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
Thanks Steaky!

Is there anyone who has done this who cares to share their experience at the border?

canuck1900

Oct 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi there

I too would like to know if anyone has had any issues with the above question..
I am really trying to find out whether or not i should go get a Travel Document for Canada with UK passport (I have PR status in Canada) as been out of canada with husband for many many years.

kind regards

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
canuck1900 said:
hi there

I too would like to know if anyone has had any issues with the above question..
I am really trying to find out whether or not i should go get a Travel Document for Canada with UK passport (I have PR status in Canada) as been out of canada with husband for many many years.

kind regards
You have your answers on your post. :D

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
Alurra71 said:
You have your answers on your post. :D
Yes indeed. The "many, many years" part strongly suggests you no longer have PR status.

It would still be useful to hear the experience from someone from a VISA exempt country having left and and re-entered Canada before having received the PR card, in the 6 weeks period it takes to get the PR card.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
zinneken said:
Yes indeed. The "many, many years" part strongly suggests you no longer have PR status.

It would still be useful to hear the experience from someone from a VISA exempt country having left and and re-entered Canada before having received the PR card, in the 6 weeks period it takes to get the PR card.
The person in the questioned post was in fact outside the country with a Canadian citizen spouse, so her PR is not in question at all, she is fine. It was solely a question based on how she should enter Canada when she and her spouse return.

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
Alurra71 said:
The person in the questioned post was in fact outside the country with a Canadian citizen spouse, so her PR is not in question at all, she is fine. It was solely a question based on how she should enter Canada when she and her spouse return.
The Canadian nationality of the spouse wasn't clear to me from the post. Obviously that changes PR status.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
zinneken said:
The Canadian nationality of the spouse wasn't clear to me from the post. Obviously that changes PR status.

I understand, that is why I told her that her question was answered on her individual post :D She started her own thread about this topic and received answers there. I guess I just assumed that you had found that thread and read it, my apologies. Sometimes I assume that others follow the same paths through this forum that I do ;)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
zinneken said:
Many have done this successfully. Rob_TO's wife is one that I can think of. There were a few others, I can't remember the names right now. I remember these instances because my wife was going to try the same thing so I researched it. But her PR card came just before our trip so she didn't have to go through with it. But I recall there was no case where a visa-exempt individual had any issues.

PaddyO

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2013
AOR Received.
06-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-09-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
08-03-2014
zinneken said:
Hi zinneken.

I left Canada without my PR card a week after landing and returned with no problem. I checked with the agent when I landed and he said that technically I shouldn't leave without my PR card however as I was from a visa waiver country I wouldn't be denied entry upon my return.

I took my COPR form with me however the agent said this wasn't required. She said I should have obtained something from CIC or CBSA, she wasn't sure what and from whom, however I had my passport stamped and was waved in without any issues.

Good luck. Have a great trip.

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
Somehow I didn't get the email notification there was a reply to my post. So a little late, thank you PaddyO & keesio!