+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Virtual Citizenship Ceremony Experience in detail!

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Very interesting. I wasn’t asked to do write anything on or even show my COPR. I did have to cut up my PR card into 8 pieces instead of 4.
Also too bad your video kept freezing that time eh

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

girgir

Sep 16, 2020
Omg, Raj, reading about your experience just gave me goosebumps - the good kind, haha! Congratulations on officially becoming a Canadian! And thanks for always being so helpful with insights and advice along the citizenship journey. Much appreciated! :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Congratulations and thanks for your amazing efforts on this forum. You’ve been a great help to many and an excellent resource for information. I wish you the best .
Omg, Raj, reading about your experience just gave me goosebumps - the good kind, haha! Congratulations on officially becoming a Canadian! And thanks for always being so helpful with insights and advice along the citizenship journey. Much appreciated! :)
Awesome report on the ceremony. Congrats once again.
Congratulations, @rajkamalmohanram !!! Fantastic experience and thank you very much for sharing this with us! It's extremely helpful!
Congrats! Welcome to the club!
Thanks a lot guys! For everyone who's waiting, I hope you get your oath dates soon and I wish that your citizenship ceremony experience is great! Wish you guys all the very best! Good luck!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Very interesting. I wasn’t asked to do write anything on or even show my COPR. I did have to cut up my PR card into 8 pieces instead of 4.
Also too bad your video kept freezing that time eh
Yeah I'm actually worried about my COPR lol. When I try to access old age security a few decades later and I'm worried that the young guy or girl at service Canada would tell me that the COPR is invalid because of what's written on it . I'm just going to add "on account of becoming a Canadian citizen on August 23rd, 2021" to whatever the officer asked me to write on it just to make it clear that I did not "lose" my PR status because of any other reason.

Reactions: Hapique and aak19

gavlar

Aug 25, 2021
Very much enjoyed this report on your experience. Congrats!

I am waiting for an oath date through Kitchener Office so this topic was a very good read.

engage

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
PART 3
Breakout Room - After administering oath ( 12 minutes - From 9:32 AM to 9:44 AM)

1. I had to wait in the breakout room for about 6 minutes before the clerk (same clerk who verified documents before the ceremony) joined the room.

2. He asked to see my PR card again and he asked me to cut the PR card in 4 pieces and to hold up the hand to the camera while cutting it.

3. As soon as he said that, I told him "This is the worst part of the ceremony" and he started laughing.

4. He carefully saw me destroy the PR card and then told me that the card won't be active anyway and he asked me to "throw it out".

5. He again mentioned that if there are issues with the oath form, he will call me in 2 business days to get it corrected.

6. He then confirmed my address and the postal code.

7. He then asked if I had my landing papers or COPR (he called it "Copper").

8. He said that my video froze and I had to restart the video.

9. I showed him my COPR and he read the details on it.

10. He asked me to write "HOLDER IS NO LONGER A PERMANENT RESIDENT" on the COPR.

11. He said the video froze again and asked me to restart the video.

12. He asked me to show the COPR again to confirm I've written what he asked me to write.

13. He then asked me if I had any questions. I thanked him for his work today and confirmed one last time with if my citizenship certificate will be expedited and he said it will be but that depends on when I send the oath form in the correct format (no issues with signature).

14. He then gave me the phone number for Passport Canada Call center.

15. He then welcomed me into the Canadian family and once again reminded me to send the oath form in the with proper signatures as soon as possible.

16. He asked me if I wanted a photo with the judge and I said "Sure, please".

17. The clerk left the room at 9:42 AM.

18. The judge joined the breakout room at 9:44 AM. I took a couple of photos with the judge and also took a screenshot.

19. I left the meeting at 9:45 AM EST.

Post Ceremony

1. I already had the signature ready in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

2. I opened the oath form, placed the signature in 2 places on the form (one under the oath wording and the other under prohibitions) and emailed the form in about 10 minutes.

3. The feeling was slowly sinking in that I am now a Canadian citizen :) .
Congratulations :) Thanks for your unwavering support on this forum. We appreciate it.

wink

May 25, 2021
Congrats again Raj!
Hope you will hang-around here to answer questions whenever you find time. :)