+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VIENNA OFFICE

rjhicks

Star Member
Sep 5, 2017
My understanding is that you don't get an email with decision made, that only shows up on ECAS.

What I do recall reading on here is that there's usually a request to submit (copies of) the passport, sometimes new photos, and to confirm details such as address before the CoPR is issued and sent. Seems like you didn't get this, and just got the CoPR out of the blue.

Congratulations again!
I also didn't get any email confirmation regarding Decision Made. ECAS changed this week, but GCKey still shows as in process. Last week they requested photos from me from my CoPR and I'd anticipating the next thing we'll receive is that in the post, probably no more emails!

erik76

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
App. Filed.......
04-11-2017
AOR Received.
23-01-2018
IELTS Request
No, sent it with the application
File Transfer...
06-02-2018
Med's Request
29-01-2018
Med's Done....
08-02-2018
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
never received
VISA ISSUED...
09-04-2018
My understanding is that you don't get an email with decision made, that only shows up on ECAS.

What I do recall reading on here is that there's usually a request to submit (copies of) the passport, sometimes new photos, and to confirm details such as address before the CoPR is issued and sent. Seems like you didn't get this, and just got the CoPR out of the blue.

Congratulations again!
I was waiting for PPR after I saw decision made, but I got the COPR out of the blue. Maybe it has to do with the time frame, photos were almost 6 months old, and The Netherlands doesn't need an Visa to travel to CA. Application was sent in Nov 2017.
We were happy and confused at the same time.

And thanks again

Hope you will hear some good news soon

Reactions: evdm

erik76

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
App. Filed.......
04-11-2017
AOR Received.
23-01-2018
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
06-02-2018
Med's Request
29-01-2018
Med's Done....
08-02-2018
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
never received
VISA ISSUED...
09-04-2018
Is it something to be worried about, not getting a PPR request?
Or is a PPR request only when you need a visa to enter Canada?

Have more people had COPR, but no PPR?

Leo204

Star Member
Dec 7, 2017
sponsor: Winnipeg MB sponsoring spouse in Kosovo
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
09-01-2017
Doc's Request.
10-18-2017
AOR Received.
10-21-2017
File Transfer...
10-27-2017: In process since 10-30-2017
Med's Request
10-20-2017
Med's Done....
10-31-2017
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
18-04-2018
Just wanted to let everyone know that we received our PPR on Wednesday morning and on Tuesday morning our ECAS changed to "decision made". Thank you to all who helped and provided explanations for any questions I did have. Good-luck to all of you and I hope nothing but the best for everyone waiting.
Cheers

erik76

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
App. Filed.......
04-11-2017
AOR Received.
23-01-2018
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
06-02-2018
Med's Request
29-01-2018
Med's Done....
08-02-2018
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
never received
VISA ISSUED...
09-04-2018
Just a quick question, but how is the process for the landing interview.
You buy a one way ticket to Canada, go to the custom officer and say you are immigrating..

- Will they bring you to an immigration officer?
- Do you have to make an appointment before you land?
- You will get a interview, sign your COPR, and 6 weeks later you will get your Pr-card in the mail?

Also asked a question previous about not getting an PPR, but received COPR instead. Is that a normal thing? Has other people had that as well?

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
You buy a one way ticket to Canada, go to the custom officer and say you are immigrating..

- You will get a interview, sign your COPR, and 6 weeks later you will get your Pr-card in the mail?

Also asked a question previous about not getting an PPR, but received COPR instead. Is that a normal thing? Has other people had that as well?
I believe they refer you to the on site immigration office after you tell them youre there to land as a PR. They will ask you some questions and make you sign some papers after which you will be on your way. There is no need for an appointment, they have immigration officers available there 24/7.

Reactions: erik76

evdm

Jun 16, 2017

I haven't yet been through it myself, but from what I've read here, and what I know from having previous work permits the process is as follows:

(note, I have never yet used the new kiosks, so this is all based on interaction with an officer and not a machine).

You have landed and you're on your way to the primary CBSA inspection point. Here you will choose to follow the visitors line and present yourself to a primary inspection officer. The officer will ask what the purpose of your trip to Canada is, to which you will answer that you are landing as a Permanent resident.
The officer may then ask to see your CoPR and check that you have all the required paperwork, but they won't do anything in the system. Your declaration card will be marked with a pink highlighter and the officer will write a few letters or numbers on it, signalling to the next officer to view the card that you will have to go to secondary.

You're told to go to the next officer who only checks the declaration cards and sends people to baggage claim, or to secondary. This officer will direct you to secondary, which is a separate waiting room with many more desks and officers where you will line up again with everyone else who has been sent to secondary. (Note, if you're coming at the beginning of a school term, there will be a lot of students and I've had to wait almost 2 hours to see the secondary inspection officer once for one of my work permits).

Once it's your turn, the officer will again ask what the purpose of your trip is and you will then present the CoPR. You'll then be asked the normal landing interview questions (any changes in circumstances/convictions/etc) and then this officer will confirm the PR status in the systems, stamp your CoPR and witness you signing that document.

The officer will ask you for an address to which to send the PR Card. This address has to be in Canada. If you're unable to provide a Canadian address, you'll have to apply yourself at a later date, providing new photos.

Some airports have a Service Canada and/or provincial services office where you can apply for your SIN number and provincial documents right away. If this is the case, the officer will direct you to them. If not, you will have to do this on your own.

As far as goods lists, I don't have experience so I can't say for sure who looks at this, but you'll probably need to show it at secondary immigration, and then again at customs right before you exit the baggage reclaim area, where you will have to declare the items.

For airports that have the primary inspection kiosks, and where you don't fill in a declaration card, you'll probably have an option on the screen that reflects landing. Either way, you still have to see an officer after visiting the kiosk, and they will point you to secondary.

Edit to add:

Currently, if you're flying into Toronto Pearson, Terminal 1 has the 'old' system with officers and Terminal 3 has the new kiosks. Flying from Amsterdam on a direct flight with Air Canada you will land at Terminal 1 (officer). KLM, Jet Airways, and Air Transat all use Terminal 3 (kiosks).

For connections, generally, all non-Star Alliance airlines (with a few exceptions) use Terminal 3 so from Europe that would be British Airways, KLM, Air France, Aer Lingus, Finnair, Alitalia, WOW, Icelandair (off the top of my head).

Air Canada, Austrian, LOT, Brussels Airlines, and Lufthansa all use Terminal 1 at Pearson (YYZ).

Last edited:

erik76

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
App. Filed.......
04-11-2017
AOR Received.
23-01-2018
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
06-02-2018
Med's Request
29-01-2018
Med's Done....
08-02-2018
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
never received
VISA ISSUED...
09-04-2018
I believe they refer you to the on site immigration office after you tell them youre there to land as a PR. They will ask you some questions and make you sign some papers after which you will be on your way. There is no need for an appointment, they have immigration officers available there 24/7.
Thanks for the info

erik76

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
App. Filed.......
04-11-2017
AOR Received.
23-01-2018
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
06-02-2018
Med's Request
29-01-2018
Med's Done....
08-02-2018
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
never received
VISA ISSUED...
09-04-2018
I haven't yet been through it myself, but from what I've read here, and what I know from having previous work permits the process is as follows:

(note, I have never yet used the new kiosks, so this is all based on interaction with an officer and not a machine).

You have landed and you're on your way to the primary CBSA inspection point. Here you will choose to follow the visitors line and present yourself to a primary inspection officer. The officer will ask what the purpose of your trip to Canada is, to which you will answer that you are landing as a Permanent resident.
The officer may then ask to see your CoPR and check that you have all the required paperwork, but they won't do anything in the system. Your declaration card will be marked with a pink highlighter and the officer will write a few letters or numbers on it, signalling to the next officer to view the card that you will have to go to secondary.

You're told to go to the next officer who only checks the declaration cards and sends people to baggage claim, or to secondary. This officer will direct you to secondary, which is a separate waiting room with many more desks and officers where you will line up again with everyone else who has been sent to secondary. (Note, if you're coming at the beginning of a school term, there will be a lot of students and I've had to wait almost 2 hours to see the secondary inspection officer once for one of my work permits).

Once it's your turn, the officer will again ask what the purpose of your trip is and you will then present the CoPR. You'll then be asked the normal landing interview questions (any changes in circumstances/convictions/etc) and then this officer will confirm the PR status in the systems, stamp your CoPR and witness you signing that document.

The officer will ask you for an address to which to send the PR Card. This address has to be in Canada. If you're unable to provide a Canadian address, you'll have to apply yourself at a later date, providing new photos.

Some airports have a Service Canada and/or provincial services office where you can apply for your SIN number and provincial documents right away. If this is the case, the officer will direct you to them. If not, you will have to do this on your own.

As far as goods lists, I don't have experience so I can't say for sure who looks at this, but you'll probably need to show it at secondary immigration, and then again at customs right before you exit the baggage reclaim area, where you will have to declare the items.

For airports that have the primary inspection kiosks, and where you don't fill in a declaration card, you'll probably have an option on the screen that reflects landing. Either way, you still have to see an officer after visiting the kiosk, and they will point you to secondary.

Edit to add:

Currently, if you're flying into Toronto Pearson, Terminal 1 has the 'old' system with officers and Terminal 3 has the new kiosks. Flying from Amsterdam on a direct flight with Air Canada you will land at Terminal 1 (officer). KLM, Jet Airways, and Air Transat all use Terminal 3 (kiosks).

For connections, generally, all non-Star Alliance airlines (with a few exceptions) use Terminal 3 so from Europe that would be British Airways, KLM, Air France, Aer Lingus, Finnair, Alitalia, WOW, Icelandair (off the top of my head).

Air Canada, Austrian, LOT, Brussels Airlines, and Lufthansa all use Terminal 1 at Pearson (YYZ).
Thank you for this very helpful clear information.
It calms the mind knowing what will roughly happen

Barav

Star Member
Mar 7, 2018

Edit to add:

What if the person landing doesn't speak any English or understand?

Reactions: Jelvuk

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
What if the person landing doesn't speak any English or understand?
The border guards offer services in English or French. There may be officers there that speak other languages too, but I wouldn't count on it as a rule.
If the person landing doesn't speak English or French at all they might have a hard time if they're there on their own. If nobody can accompany them who would be able to translate, perhaps have a note prepared written in their language and English that offers a number for someone to call who can translate.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Thank you for this very helpful clear information.
It calms the mind knowing what will roughly happen
I remember reading on here that the whole process with an officer takes 15-20 minutes and is really just a formality.

Just be prepared to wait in line both for primary inspection, but then potentially longer for secondary inspection if it's busy. I've been through secondary at Pearson 6 times for work permits and only once has it been crazy busy (2+ hour wait), but normally I was probably out within 45 minutes).

You're there for a happy and simple purpose, but some in line at secondary may be there to be denied entry and be complex cases needing examination. Generally though, when it's busy, my experience has been that most people at secondary are getting student visas or temporary work permits. Also just formalities as many will have already gone through examinations at a visa office abroad, but it still takes time on the Canadian side to verify and process everything. Your landing might be one of the easier things the border guard at secondary will have to do that day :)

Last edited:
Reactions: erik76

erik76

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
App. Filed.......
04-11-2017
AOR Received.
23-01-2018
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
06-02-2018
Med's Request
29-01-2018
Med's Done....
08-02-2018
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
never received
VISA ISSUED...
09-04-2018
I remember reading on here that the whole process with an officer takes 15-20 minutes and is really just a formality.

Just be prepared to wait in line both for primary inspection, but then potentially longer for secondary inspection if it's busy. I've been through secondary at Pearson 6 times for work permits and only once has it been crazy busy (2+ hour wait), but normally I was probably out within 45 minutes).

You're there for a happy and simple purpose, but some in line at secondary may be there to be denied entry and be complex cases needing examination. Generally though, when it's busy, my experience has been that most people at secondary are getting student visas or temporary work permits. Also just formalities as many will have already gone through examinations at a visa office abroad, but it still takes time on the Canadian side to verify and process everything. Your landing might be one of the easier things the border guard at secondary will have to do that day :)
Thanks for the extra info, appreciate it.

Waiting in line will not be a problem, after a couple months of waiting for PR that will be a breeze.

RinaMuhaxhiri

Star Member
Dec 11, 2017
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
Doc's Request.
20-09-2017 (Background A)
AOR Received.
20-09-2017
File Transfer...
06-10-2017
Med's Request
29-09-2017
Med's Done....
10-10-2017
Passport Req..
01-06-2018
Hey guys! I’m in Kosovo visiting my husband, unfortunately no news for us yet, So he will not be coming back home with me, I hope within the next month we will hear something!