+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VIENNA OFFICE

Frida

Oct 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wish I found this forum and this thread a while ago when I was banging my head against the wall...
My boyfriend and I will soon apply as conjugal partners, so the visa rules are a little bit different than yours', being already married and all. So you'll be able to read about my process ;)
As far as I know processing time for conjugal partners takes less time than spouse or common-law, right? I will be immigrating to Quebec.

It's nice to read your stories. How is everbody doing now?
Greetings from Slovenia.

tam.1979

Jun 24, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2010
Doc's Request.
13-04-2010; 22-09-2010; 08-12-2010
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Done....
02-01-2010
Hi Frida,
I guess since i'm sitting by my laptop, i'll be the first to answer you :)... First of all, welcome to our thread and to this process.
In order for us to help you further, you'll have to give us more information. Are you going through Family Class? Are you/or your partner a Canadian citizen/permanent resident and one of you is sponsoring the other through the grounds of conjugal relationship?
If so, here is what I was informed, have read and heard before I started this entire process, when my (now) husband and I were exploring our options and figuring out what the best step would be in order for us to be together (I'm a Canadian citizen, sponsoring my husband via Spousal Visa):
Conjugal partners immigration route should be the last resort when applying for a loved one to join you in Canada. The reason for this is the fact that in this route you will be under the microscope more than any other route, and you will have to have the most proof that your relationship is genuine... Don't get me wrong, we all have to have genuine relationships, but under the conjugal partners it's hardest to prove to THEM. And Immigration Canada will deny you if they have the slightest doubt as to validity of your relationship. And then once and if you prove that your relationship is in fact genuine you'll be asked "well why aren't you in a common-law relationship or marriage if your relationship is genuine" - meaning you'll have to do double time proving not only that your relationship is genuine, but also WHY you cannot be in a common-law or marriage with your genuine partner... I hope you understand what i'm saying, as there will be a test in the end :)
With this in mind, this route takes the most time, I hate to tell you... Spousal visa get's precedence over any other type in "Family" class.
I'm not an attorney or council, I'm just someone who has had this process on my mind and in research for a long time now, and my number ONE advice is before you enter this or any other route, go for a consultation with a COUPLE (NOT JUST ONE!) immigration lawyers or consultants. Reputable ones have FREE consultations, and never go for ones you have to pay for consultations because they are the ones who are in it just for the money, usually. I personally, would not gamble on "conjugal partner" route if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Here is some start up reading:

Conjugal partner
The conjugal partner Canadian immigration route is intended to be used only in exceptional circumstances where parties are unable to qualify for spouse or common-law partner immigration through circumstances beyond their control.
This route for immigration to Canada is valid for same sex or opposite sex partners, however, it must be demonstrated that the relationship is one of mutual dependence, and commitment.
Conjugal partner applications may be made in the following circumstances.
* The relationship has existed for at least a year.
* Marrying or living together has been prevented due to an immigration barrier.
* Marrying or living together has been prevented due to marital status, for example, you are living in a country where divorce is not permitted.
* Marrying or living together has been prevented because you are in a same sex relationship in a country where same sex marriage is not permitted.
* Evidence can be provided that an impending factor has influenced the relationship, for example, long-term visits in each other's home country have been refused.

Here is more:
Conjugal partner - A conjugal partner is defined as a life partner in a committed relationship for at least one year. No cohabitation is required but a relationship must be interdependent in physical, financial, emotional, and social aspects. This person can be either opposite or same sex/gender. Conjugal partner sponsorship is used to sponsor a foreigner who is unable to either get married or live with a sponsor for at least one year due to a visa requirement. In other words, a foreign partner cannot be from a visitor visa exemption country. SLOVENIA DOESN'T NEED A VISA WHICH MEANS YOU GUYS ARE NOT EVEN ELIGIBLE?!?!?! Examples of conjugal partners can be same-sex couples who are legally barred from getting married or opposite-sex couples where one of them is legally married and unable to get divorced. Opposite-sex couples who can get married are most likely unable to apply as conjugal partners.

Do your research guys before doing anything, immigration is a SERIOUS, time-exhausting process....

tam.1979

Jun 24, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2010
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Done....
02-01-2010
Hi Again Frida,
I'm confused as to how you even chose to apply under conjugal partners - let's go point by point (this has taken as per your first stop shop for immigration canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp#conjugal)

* you have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year and you have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
o an immigration barrier - If it's Slovania-Canada case neither of you need visas to visit each other, so this cannot apply to your case
o your marital status (for example, you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible) - Again divorce is allowed in Slovenia and in Canada, so this can't help your case either...
or
o your sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live) - Again, both Canada and Slovenia have legalized same-sex marriage, so this can't help you either (if you're a same sex couple, that is)
* you can provide evidence there was a reason you could not live together (for example, you were refused long-term stays in each other’s country). - again see #1

Why not get married and apply like the rest of us?

cleo

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2011
AOR Received.
23-03-2011
File Transfer...
08-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
09-11-2011
I agree. Get married. The process is complicated and long enough as it is.

krofnica

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2008
Doc's Request.
07-06-2011 new police cert.
File Transfer...
05-12-2008
Med's Request
07-06-2011
Med's Done....
28-05-2008 expired / 30 June 2011
Interview........
10-02-2009 / Security Interview: 09-02-2011
Passport Req..
12-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2011
LANDED..........
16-11-2011
Yes, get married! You don't want to make it harder for yourself.

On a personal note.... my husband bought his ticket and will be landing Nov 16th. :D

tam.1979

Jun 24, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2010
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Done....
02-01-2010
Yey Krofnica!!! That's in 2 days!!!!!!!! Happy reuniting ;)

tam.1979

Jun 24, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2010
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Done....
02-01-2010
Since people are updating, here is what's going on with us:
Sept 7 - faxed a request for update of background check to CSIS - NO REPLY (waiting 6 weeks) called 2 times left my number noone called me back!
Sept 19 - Ottawa received my request for CAIPS notes, asked to have it emailed - on Monday it will be 4 weeks and nothing yet. I sent them a VISA payment slip and the money hasn't even been deducted from my visa yet.....?

I swear I feel like the only one who can't get any answers here! It seems that everyone in this post who requested CAIPS got CAIPS, and who requested info from CSIS got it! Not me.....

20 full months - 604 full days - still don't know a thing.

krofnica

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2008
Doc's Request.
07-06-2011 new police cert.
File Transfer...
05-12-2008
Med's Request
07-06-2011
Med's Done....
28-05-2008 expired / 30 June 2011
Interview........
10-02-2009 / Security Interview: 09-02-2011
Passport Req..
12-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2011
LANDED..........
16-11-2011
I ordered caips a few times. Each time, I received them in the 6th week. So u should get them soooon.

cleo

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2011
AOR Received.
23-03-2011
File Transfer...
08-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
09-11-2011
It took six weeks for ours. By that time he'd already received his visa. Well, it was interesting anyway.

So...Krofnica, your husband arrives one week after mine. We will send a long wave across the country to you two!

Jun 23, 2011
vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Excellent discussion girls!

Frida welcome to the group :)
I too say get married- the fastest processing time and least headache. Don't allow this process to eat up any more of your life than it has to. You being female and the one sponsored it will be routine if you are married- unless you have a criminal record.
Is this conjugal thing a political stand for you and your man?

Serdj977 and I are in our 13 month of the process and waiting. I am beyond stressed in Vancouver working on parts of my existence I have control over...it is pretty hard and lonely. The thing is it will be done eventually, so I keep reminding myself that.

Very happy for those who are there already. :)
xo to all

Frida

Oct 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everybody!
First thanks for all your replies, I must say I felt like I got struck by a lightening after reading this and later on, don't remember when was the last time I felt so stupid. :eek: :'(
I live in Slovenia, my boyfriend lives in Quebec, we've been together for two years now and kept visitng each other back and forth. We decided that that's enough and want to start living together, myself moving there. We haven't lived together yet because I have a job here, but now we're ready to make the transition, had to get enought money as well...
I consulted with the canadian consulate (not embassy) and the person in charge told me at the meeting that we satisfy the family class and we should apply as conjugal. I fu**** trusted them!! Well, the good thing is we haven't filed any papers yet and haven't lost any money.
So, after I smoked two cigarettes last night (I don't usually smoke ;D) I calmed down and now I'll try to find enother solution.
One thing is to go there on my tourist visa (3 months) and get married and start the procedure and the other is to go there as a visitor for more than 6 months. I was just skimming at CIC offical web site and my country doesn't need a visa etc etc.
I'm going to read more later in the evening, but my question now is: if I don't need a visa and no medical examination, do I need just a letter of invitation from my boyfriend (as I will have a place to stay) or do I need do have a job there... So this (the second way) is where we would be able to start the official "common-law" relationship....
I'm so friggin' confused right now.

Thanks to everybody, I was really surprised in a good way by the fact how nice and willing to help and give advice you people are. Thanks again!

tam.1979

Jun 24, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2010
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Done....
02-01-2010
Hi Frida,
I will say it again, it's probably not what you want to hear, but it truly is the BEST piece of advice you will get from anyone here, and here it is:
No one here is an immigration lawyer or a consultant (or we wouldn't be in this situation), and you SHOULD NOT be even asking for "LEGAL" advice from us (or in your case ILLEGAL advice). EVERY IMMIGRATION CASE IS DIFFERENT, and what worked for me, will not definitely work for you, and vice-versa.
With that in mind: entering ANY country with a FALSE pretense is a CRIMINAL offense and if they catch you, you will be facing deportation or even worse BANNING from that country so that you can NEVER come into Canada again. Do not play with immigration.
I, as a matter of fact, have a close family friend who was last month deported from Canada WITH her 4 month-old baby (who was born in Canada) for entering Canada under the wrong pretense, overstaying her visa, getting married, etc... so basically what you are hoping to do.
And I will say this again:
"my number ONE advice is before you enter this or any other route, go for a consultation with a COUPLE (NOT JUST ONE!) immigration lawyers or consultants. Reputable ones have FREE consultations, and never go for ones you have to pay for consultations because they are the ones who are in it just for the money, usually."

p.s. I'm not going to mention that US HONEST people here, who did this the correct and legal way are now waiting for years on end to get visas the RIGHT way, just because of many other people before us screwed immigration canada AND US the way you're planning to do now. Oh, wait, i just mentioned it.

Frida

Oct 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, speedy tam.1979. :)
I understand what you're trying to say, I know you're not authorised for these "answers", bit it still helps a lot!!
Did you get married in Canada? So do you think we should get married while I'm in Canada on my 3-month tourist visa? I really don't have any intention to play with the immigration. He is going to call the consultant in Canada to find the right info.
Please understand that my mind right now is lost, so much information... Embarrassing :-[

cleo

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2011
AOR Received.
23-03-2011
File Transfer...
08-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
09-11-2011
Do you want to get married?

My husband came here on a tourist visa and we got married in December 2010. He went back home and we filed the papers and now he's coming in a few weeks for good!

It will be much faster for you as a woman because you didn't have military service. And it's much fast to apply outland.

Also maybe you could come and work if you get a working holiday visa. It depends on your age. I'm not sure about all of that though it might be something to consider.

Frida

Oct 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought we could do it without getting married, but now it's different :)

Wow Cleo, that was fast, you lucky girl. Yes I know, applying outside Canada is quite a bit faster. This really is a test of patience...