+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Victim of marriage of convenience

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Something is wrong with the whole application. You were the one who sponsored him so you were supposed to be very involved in the process (more than your husband) and your signature was required many times. You should report the lawyer as well and add to your report about marriage of convenience that your signature was forged on sponsorship documents because you did not sign any. Unfortunately when you are sponsoring someone it is important to educate yourself because it is a huge financial commitment. It is very hard to undo so you need to be educated before you go through with the process. The new information about forged signatures may. help but this is going to be long process.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigration-citizenship-representative/file-complaint-against-representative.html

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
Something is wrong with the whole application. You were the one who sponsored him so you were supposed to be very involved in the process (more than your husband) and your signature was required many times. You should report the lawyer as well and add to your report about marriage of convenience that your signature was forged on sponsorship documents because you did not sign any. Unfortunately when you are sponsoring someone it is important to educate yourself because it is a huge financial commitment. It is very hard to undo so you need to be educated before you go through with the process. The new information about forged signatures may. help but this is going to be long process.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigration-citizenship-representative/file-complaint-against-representative.html
I might have signed something once that I don’t remember doing but I was not involved at all, he already had a lawyer that used to file work permit for him that was denied, this is brand new information for me. Thank you very much for your help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I might have signed something once that I don’t remember doing but I was not involved at all, he already had a lawyer that used to file work permit for him that was denied, this is brand new information for me. Thank you very much for your help!
Unfortunately you will be told that you should have taken more interest in what you were signing especially since it seems like you or your family had concerns about his intentions. Unfortunately the argument will be that you need to do your own research before sponsoring someone,

crystarclear

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-12-2017
Doc's Request.
26-01-2018
AOR Received.
24-01-2018
LANDED..........
06-11-2018
I'm assuming it was an inland sponsorship too in which the sponsor should have and must have appeared with the applicant to his landing date. She could have just said, she didnt want to sponsor her husband anymore. But how could the OP be surprised that the husband just got the PR approved under her nose? This seems very complicated.

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
Something seems fishy about this whole situation. It almost sounds like OP keeps changing her story.
How am I changing the story? I just look through the link a previous person attached and found all the sponsorship forms, I’ve never seen any of these I never filled any of them out. It’s possible my husband gave some one sheet that I don’t remember filling out, because that would have been 1.5 year ago but not this amount of paperwork however I am . I never emailed any of these forms, I never personally gave them to the lawyer.
Unfortunately you will be told that you should have taken more interest in what you were signing especially since it seems like you or your family had concerns about his intentions. Unfortunately the argument will be that you need to do your own research before sponsoring someone,
I did not sign anything except the marriage certificate.
you are right I should have been but I did not sign any forms. I met the immigration consultant once and he gave us a list of things we need to provide, I never spoke to him on the phone and the only email I sent him was to stop the process of sponsorship. Now I went through all the receipt that are usually kept in the desk and there is no single receipt from this immigration consultant, when I know my husband paid him a few times I remember one payement was for 5k. And he filed all the paperwork. He never informed me on my responsibilities as a sponsor, the first time I knew of it was when CIC sent me the email that they have the application in the process and I went through the website to read myself.

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
I'm assuming it was an inland sponsorship too in which the sponsor should have and must have appeared with the applicant to his landing date. She could have just said, she didnt want to sponsor her husband anymore. But how could the OP be surprised that the husband just got the PR approved under her nose? This seems very complicated.
I did go. I did not know I had the option to refuse. It’s official I’m the biggest idiot on this whole website.

crystarclear

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-12-2017
Doc's Request.
26-01-2018
AOR Received.
24-01-2018
LANDED..........
06-11-2018
I did go. I did not know I had the option to refuse. It’s official I’m the biggest idiot on this whole website.
Do you still have the copy of the email you sent the attorney to stop the sponsorhip process? It might help along the way. Don’t call yourself an idiot. Mistakes happen in life. What matters most now is you’re trying to straigthen things out. If you really want to battle this, I think you might need legal help. Don’t lose hope.

Reactions: canuck78

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
Do you still have the copy of the email you sent the attorney to stop the sponsorhip process? It might help along the way. Don’t call yourself an idiot. Mistakes happen in life. What matters most now is you’re trying to straigthen things out. If you really want to battle this, I think you might need legal help. Don’t lose hope.
Yes I have the copy and I included it as an attachment when I sent the report to CIC. I also told them that the immigration consultant never responded to me. They don’t do updates so I have no clue what they will be doing.
Thank you for being understanding.

Reactions: canuck78

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
09-08-2018 returned 31-10-2018
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
It sounds like your husband forged your signature or his lawyer, but on your description of his shirt intention I personally assume your husband did it.

Love can make us blind. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Have you considered getting yourself a lawyer? My fear would be as the sponsor you could be charged with marriage fraud also.

You may need representation to clear your own name. Let the cic deal with your ex and look after yourself.

Not for a second do I think you are stupid. To me you have been manipulated and used by a con man. Dont blame yourself. But do arm yourself with information. Knowledge is power.

Big hugs

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
You’re not stupid in this instance, but you’ve certainly been naive. That happens sometimes. You would have been much better off being more informed about this process, doing your own research, etc. You have some serious obligations as a sponsor. That being said, there’s nothing you can do to change the past, so you have to deal with this the best way you can now.

The fact you didn’t sign any forms is a massive concern, sounds like outright fraud. Ensure that IRCC know you didn’t sign any. There’s at least 4 signatures required by the sponsor that I can think of. The only forms not requiring a signature by the sponsor is the OWP application. That’s just for the applicant.

Most sponsorship applications are driven by the sponsor, but there are plenty where the applicant arranges the application, like your husband did. I did this too, as my wife was working and busy, and I had the time to fill them out and read the guides, etc. We sat down together to complete some, and others I completed and we proof read them together.

When the application was complete and we’d both gotten all the required proofs together, my wife printed all the application forms and sat down for a couple of hours to read them through. I did the same. Once we were happy everything was complete and accurate, we signed them together. I was the one that did the bulk of the work in completing the application, but my wife was still very involved. She had to be. Despite us being married for 5 years, she still read and understood the entire process, signed all the forms, etc.

In this case, it sounds a lot you’ve been conned by your husband and an unscrupulous consultant. Aside from waiting for IRCC to investigate, there’s nothing you can do. I wish you well in his, I hope it all gets resolved soon.

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
Don't blame yourself now. It looks like you were used by your husband, but sometimes there is nothing you can do. Talk to an immigration lawyer about what needs to be done in terms informing IRCC (but before doing that try to recollect what exactly you did, what did you signed etc). Talk to a divorce lawyer to ensure that you are divorced as soon as possible. Make sure that your ex does not have access to your bank accounts, not mentioned in your insurance policies, does not have any rights to receive a part of your pension in future.

As for you being his sponsor for the next 3 years, as long as he is not stripped of his PR status, the biggest consequences I see here are your inability to sponsor a new husband (and I do not think you will want to go this road again) and him applying for IA. I also do not think that there is a huge risk of it: IA benefits amount (both employable IA and PWD) is not huge, it is much better for a person to work.

Juanali

Jan 17, 2020
uganda
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
dar eslam
the sponsors tend to claim they knew nothing if things didnt work between you ,i would suggest you move on

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
the sponsors tend to claim they knew nothing if things didnt work between you ,i would suggest you move on
Please don't post to threads that are four years old.