+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Victim of marriage of convenience

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
Hello,

I married my husband for love but there were always many signs that he was in it for the PR sponsorship. When he finally got his or PR card in the mail he booked a trip to his country immediately. He now made it very clear that he does not care about me and just wants me out of his life.We are separating. However I also recently found out that he was working illegally while awaiting his PR status for few years,from even before he met me. (One of the many secrets he kept from me). I have reported him for fraudulent marriage and for working illegally by sending a fax to CIC with as many details as I can remember. At this point I am terrified that he will come and use government assistance and I will be obliged to pay for it. How likely is it that his PR will be taken away and that I will not be his sponsor? Is it possible that when he comes back ( mid November) he will be denied entry to Canada ?

salamiz

Oct 13, 2018
Yes, they'll stop him at borders, easily. Then he'll either go to court (if he has a solid case), or deportation.

Reactions: Aline21

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
Yes, they'll stop him at borders, easily. Then he'll either go to court (if he has a solid case), or deportation.
What would qualify as a solid case? He won’t be able to prove he didn’t work because he Worked a lot and I gave CIC the name of the person he worked for. If however he does end up in court will I be subpoenad to testify?

salamiz

Oct 13, 2018
if PR was provided under the Spousal Family Class program, then any disconnection in the relationship itself is alone a solid case. IRCC asks all sponsors (you) to inform them of status changes for the same reasons. Just make sure CIC acknowledges receiving your new information about your Applicant, rest is automated process of borders ban, etc...

Court would apply if your spouse has very strong reasons to justify that he was sincere/honest in relationship, and you were the relationship disconnection reason, and there is a very strong reasons for him to stay in Canada.

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hello,

I married my husband for love but there were always many signs that he was in it for the PR sponsorship. When he finally got his or PR card in the mail he booked a trip to his country immediately. He now made it very clear that he does not care about me and just wants me out of his life.We are separating. However I also recently found out that he was working illegally while awaiting his PR status for few years,from even before he met me. (One of the many secrets he kept from me). I have reported him for fraudulent marriage and for working illegally by sending a fax to CIC with as many details as I can remember. At this point I am terrified that he will come and use government assistance and I will be obliged to pay for it. How likely is it that his PR will be taken away and that I will not be his sponsor? Is it possible that when he comes back ( mid November) he will be denied entry to Canada ?
He will be stopped at the border by the CBSA, but he may still be allowed in to plead his case at an immigration hearing. By law, despite his nefarious actions, he’s still entitled to due process. If he’s allowed entry with a notice to appear at court and he doesn’t, he’ll have an arrest warrant issued and the CBSA’s inland enforcement team will be after him. I can’t see how he’ll be able to access social assistance if you’ve already made IRCC aware of this fraud.

Only when an immigration judge has found him guilty of misrepresentation and found him in contravention of the IRPA, will he be issued with a revocation of his PR status and an exclusion/deportation order.

Working without authorization is serious, but nowhere near as bad as entering a marriage fraudulently to gain PR status. He would owe back taxes, his employer would be guilty of employing someone without status too, but IRCC can be quite forgiving of people in the right circumstances. There’s cases of people who have been working illegally for a long time, ultimately being given PR status. It might be rare, but it has happened before.

You’ve done the right thing alerting the authorities on this, and right now, you’ve done all you can. You can look into divorce proceedings too, when you’ve met the separation requirements.

I’m sorry this happened to you, it must hurt terribly. In time you’ll move on, and I hope you find happiness. Good luck.

Reactions: Aline21 and np08

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

He can't be denied entry into Canada. He is a permanent resident and will be allowed to enter.

Unfortunately it's very hard for any of us to say what the chances are that his PR status will be revoked. This will depend on what information you've submitted and what evidence he is able to provide to try to prove your relationship is genuine. The fact he worked illegally won't really matter. What IRCC will focus on assessing is whether he entered into the marriage with you on false pretenses. Note that it can take quite a bit of time for IRCC to conduct their investigation - during which time you will remain financially responsible for him. Good luck - hope things work out in your favour.

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
He can't be denied entry into Canada. He is a permanent resident and will be allowed to enter.

Unfortunately it's very hard for any of us to say what the chances are that his PR status will be revoked. This will depend on what information you've submitted and what evidence he is able to provide to try to prove your relationship is genuine. The fact he worked illegally won't really matter. What IRCC will focus on assessing is whether he entered into the marriage with you on false pretenses. Note that it can take quite a bit of time for IRCC to conduct their investigation - during which time you will remain financially responsible for him. Good luck - hope things work out in your favour.
That’s a good point, actually. Whilst he may be questioned at the border, he does have full legal status until any revocation takes place, thus can’t be denied entry.

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018

I appreciate that you took the time to answer but I know for a fact him working illegally for over 2 years will matter. He filled out applications Few times and that question was on the applications. I only saw the blank versions but I found out about a month ago that he in fact wrote that he was not working during the time he was awaiting to hear on the sponsorship response. I’m aware that it’s a misinterpretation but I am not aware of the severity. If he indicated he was working for cash while not having any permit to do so he would not have gotten his permanent residency. I’ve read stories where people were denied entry and as you said had court to plead their case but none of the story are same as mine.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I appreciate that you took the time to answer but I know for a fact him working illegally for over 2 years will matter. He filled out applications Few times and that question was on the applications. I only saw the blank versions but I found out about a month ago that he in fact wrote that he was not working during the time he was awaiting to hear on the sponsorship response. I’m aware that it’s a misinterpretation but I am not aware of the severity. If he indicated he was working for cash while not having any permit to do so he would not have gotten his permanent residency. I’ve read stories where people were denied entry and as you said had court to plead their case but none of the story are same as mine.
Lying about working illegally is not a serious misrepresentation. It's not grounds for having his PR status revoked. If his PR status is revoked, it will be because IRCC agrees he entered into a marriage of convenience for the purposes of obtaining PR.

Someone who is a PR cannot be refused entry into Canada. He could only be refused entry if his PR status is officially revoked before he attempts to re-enter.

Reactions: 1887CAN

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
He will be stopped at the border by the CBSA, but he may still be allowed in to plead his case at an immigration hearing. By law, despite his nefarious actions, he’s still entitled to due process. If he’s allowed entry with a notice to appear at court and he doesn’t, he’ll have an arrest warrant issued and the CBSA’s inland enforcement team will be after him. I can’t see how he’ll be able to access social assistance if you’ve already made IRCC aware of this fraud.

Only when an immigration judge has found him guilty of misrepresentation and found him in contravention of the IRPA, will he be issued with a revocation of his PR status and an exclusion/deportation order.

Working without authorization is serious, but nowhere near as bad as entering a marriage fraudulently to gain PR status. He would owe back taxes, his employer would be guilty of employing someone without status too, but IRCC can be quite forgiving of people in the right circumstances. There’s cases of people who have been working illegally for a long time, ultimately being given PR status. It might be rare, but it has happened before.

You’ve done the right thing alerting the authorities on this, and right now, you’ve done all you can. You can look into divorce proceedings too, when you’ve met the separation requirements.

I’m sorry this happened to you, it must hurt terribly. In time you’ll move on, and I hope you find happiness. Good luck.
Thank you for the kind words, i felt like this will kill me but I’m doing much better at the moment.
Lying about working illegally is not a serious misrepresentation. It's not grounds for having his PR status revoked. If his PR status is revoked, it will be because IRCC agrees he entered into a marriage of convenience for the purposes of obtaining PR.

Someone who is a PR cannot be refused entry into Canada. He could only be refused entry if his PR status is officially revoked before he attempts to re-enter.
Well is it possible that they start the investigation right now and see that he in fact did work illegally, and find it a good enough that as soon as he got his PR he left for his home country on vacation and that we are officially separated as a reason for fraudulent marriage by the time he comes back mid-November? I forgot to mention one thing. I sent an e-mail to his lawyer 2 weeks before he got notice that he received his PR, that I no longer wanted to sponsor him and to cancel the process. But the lawyer never got back to me. I sent that to CIC aswell.

Longroadtoimmigration

Sep 19, 2018
App. Filed.......
September 19th 2018
Interview........
I rebuke it ijn
LANDED..........
I shall testify
I believe he will still be allowed to enter Canada . Sorry your feeling this way.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the kind words, i felt like this will kill me but I’m doing much better at the moment.

Well is it possible that they start the investigation right now and see that he in fact did work illegally, and find it a good enough that as soon as he got his PR he left for his home country on vacation and that we are officially separated as a reason for fraudulent marriage by the time he comes back mid-November? I forgot to mention one thing. I sent an e-mail to his lawyer 2 weeks before he got notice that he received his PR, that I no longer wanted to sponsor him and to cancel the process. But the lawyer never got back to me. I sent that to CIC aswell.
You are the one who sponsored him and you also knew that he had been working illegally for two years and didn't report him until the relationship breakdown so you also were lying on his sponsorship forms.

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
You are the one who sponsored him and you also knew that he had been working illegally for two years and didn't report him until the relationship breakdown so you also were lying on his sponsorship forms.
First of all I did not fill out a single sponsorship form. He said he applied through his lawyer I only met the lawyer once when he told me what we need to provide him with for the sponsorship I never signed or filled out any forms the lawyer did. Second of all my husband told me that because we got married his lawyer informed him that he is allowed to work and I left it at that. It wasn’t until a he got his PR that he slipped and I had to find out myself that he in fact did not work legally, which is one of the reason I am sure his intentions were purely in interest of permanent residency, as he kept this lie away from me for almost 2 years. Please don’t assume I’m simply some angry woman trying to get back at him. I’ve found out so many lies that my brain imploded and at this point I’m simply trying to protect myself.

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
Why did you allow the lawyer to forge your signature? Did you provide this info to IRCC? Did you report the lawyer?

Aline21

Oct 13, 2018
Why did you allow the lawyer to forge your signature? Did you provide this info to IRCC? Did you report the lawyer?
Hold on. Was I supposed to sign something?! I thought it was his application. I only saw the lawyer once he gave us a list of things to provide like pictures together, his medical examinations.... the lawyer never asked anything of me, I asked him a couple questions and that was it. I even wrote to his lawyer before he got his PR asking to remove me as a sponsor and the lawyer never got back to me, 2-3 weeks later my husband got his PR.