+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vancouver Jobs and Living

winsor1

Mar 3, 2014
I am new to canada .. just came here in December 2013, currently staying in Ontario

I am planning to move to vancouver or mainly to BC for finding work..

which part of vancouver are the rents less and which part has more jobs..

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
Downtown has the most jobs, but also more expensive rents.

Anywhere along the skytrain route will be your best bet. The skytrain is very fast compared to driving in rush-hour traffic (i used it even when I had a car).

Metrotown area in Burnaby has decent rents, and is close to the skytrain. So that might be a good option.

New Westminister is even cheaper, but farther from downtown.

winsor1

Mar 3, 2014
steerpike said:
Downtown has the most jobs, but also more expensive rents.

Anywhere along the skytrain route will be your best bet. The skytrain is very fast compared to driving in rush-hour traffic (i used it even when I had a car).

Metrotown area in Burnaby has decent rents, and is close to the skytrain. So that might be a good option.

New Westminister is even cheaper, but farther from downtown.
how much does a skytrain pass cost ? is New Westminister not along the skytrain route ?

How long does it take by skytrain to downtown for these places ?

I am a student currently studying in Ontario, I would want to come down to BC for my Winter Break and work there..which part shall be afforable and not very tough to travel..

is there any other city in BC, which I can choose over Vancouver ? Like Victoria ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
winsor1 said:
is there any other city in BC, which I can choose over Vancouver ? Like Victoria ?
Yes, Richmond, Kelowna, Kamloops, Prince Rupert, Kitimat and Prince George. Go to google maps and you would find more! :D

Actually there is a sky train route (Canada Line) that runs between the cities of Richmond and Vancouver.

For details about fares and schedules, try this link:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes.aspx

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
winsor1 said:
how much does a skytrain pass cost ? is New Westminister not along the skytrain route ?
Yes it is. The skytrain goes vancouver-->burnaby--> new westminister --> surrey and there is a separate skytrain line out to richmond. There are lots and lots of places to live and many possibilities. I cant explain all of therm. But a good general rule is find a place on the skytrain route.

How long does it take by skytrain to downtown for these places ?
Once you are on the train, 15 -20 minutes from metrotown to downtown. It would take at least 30 minutes to drive. Plus parking downtown is expensive (like $16/day if you park in a underground)

I am a student currently studying in Ontario, I would want to come down to BC for my Winter Break and work there..which part shall be afforable and not very tough to travel..
If you can, find the job first and then choose a place to live near the job. When i moved to edmonton, i lived in a motel for 2 weks until i found an apartment to rent. Because I was settling in edmonton permanently, i was able to write off the full cost of the motel and my meals from my taxes. In the end it didnt cost me one cent. But if you are not moving permanently you cant do that.

Victoria is beautiful, but i have heard it is even tougher than Vancouver to get a job. And Vancouver isnt easy.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
I do not understand this move from Ontario to Vancouver "mainly for finding work".

I think it is a crazy move unless you have some support there.

Vancouver is not a joke. It is probably the worst place in Canada to get a job and have your savings depleted at alarming rate.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Who goes to Vancouver for jobs? Unless you are set up and have an offer its a rather risky move as the BC economy sucks!!! However I wish you good luck. Avoid Surrey at all costs, place is a *censored word*hole, nothing but drug dealers , junkies, and prostitutes. Surrey is also prone to property crime, mugging, and car break ins, just a *censored word*hole all around.

BC cost of living is also horrible, taxes on taxes. Basic items like milk eggs meat etc are overly priced, the silver lining is you are close to the border and can shop in Washington state.

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Hello

I am planning to move to Edmonton by id of this year and planning to stay in a motel as well and will look after for a permanent place to live.

I have read up in the comments that it was offset against the tax thus, will be no cost on my part just in case Im into this situation. Can you please explain how it works?

Thank you.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
SanRoque said:
Hello

I am planning to move to Edmonton by id of this year and planning to stay in a motel as well and will look after for a permanent place to live.

I have read up in the comments that it was offset against the tax thus, will be no cost on my part just in case Im into this situation. Can you please explain how it works?

Thank you.
Yes, if you move for the purposes of work you can deduct 100% of the moving fees from your taxes. So you pay for the motel and everything like normal. But then when you do your taxes, you deduct it, and you will get a refund from the government in the mail.

You can read about it here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/menu-eng.html

That includes motel stay up to 2 weeks, meals every day, gas, moving truck and hired movers. There is a rule that you need to move a distance 40 kilometers or more. So moving within the same city usually isnt enough distance. But moving to a new city usually is.

And it is VERY important to keep all your recipets for everything. Because you can get audited. (I got audited, but i sent all my receipts in, and they accepted it).

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Thank you buddy. It really gave me a good insights of moving to Edmonton among other places in Canada.

How is the job prospects in Edmonton? ANy idea so far based on your personal experience.

Any part of Edmonton you can recommend the best place to settle down?

Cheers.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
The job prospects are good. I got a job in 5 days but it took me more than 2 weeks to find an apartment. And I literally called 100 places. I dont know why finding an apt was so difficult. In Vancouver i never need to respond to more than 5 ads to find a good place and a good deal. In Edmonton at that time it was just insane (2006). So be prepared to do a really hard apartment search as well as job hunting when you get there.

winsor1

Mar 3, 2014
finding a job without being there in person wouldnt be easy..i shall ofcourse try to find one before i move