Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Do they even know about the empty home tax in the first place?

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's publicized and people are supposed to do it, but it's on an honour system and I'm sure lots of morally-questionable owners (if they have heard of it) may just ignore it. It should be enforced it in a different way - maybe cross check with utilities companies about above/below average usage or something. I don't know!

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
It's publicized and people are supposed to do it, but it's on an honour system and I'm sure lots of morally-questionable owners (if they have heard of it) may just ignore it. It should be enforced it in a different way - maybe cross check with utilities companies about above/below average usage or something. I don't know!
The City has a way of tracking these...there are penalties and fines for those who do not submit the declaration on time.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
They are definitely cross-checking with utility companies to look at daily usage and the timing of usage as well. My understanding is that city representatives are also visually looking for gardens, driveways, etc. that may provide the appearance of the house being uninhabited.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are definitely cross-checking with utility companies to look at daily usage and the timing of usage as well. My understanding is that city representatives are also visually looking for gardens, driveways, etc. that may provide the appearance of the house being uninhabited.
But homeowners can hire people to trim, snow removal so as use technology to control the daily utility usage.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
You are correct. Bottom line is, the City is going after this pretty aggressively.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
But homeowners can hire people to trim, snow removal so as use technology to control the daily utility usage.
They can, and there are a number of companies that provide these services and more (e.g., they go into houses, turn on lights, turn on water taps, etc.). Personally, I think they should all be shut down and the owners/employees charged with attempted fraud. But that's just my opinion.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Do you think these people will pay? lol They can't even declare their status after the deadline was extended...

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://business.financialpost.com/news/fp-street/foreign-buyers-are-using-canadian-homes-as-piggy-banks-rbc-ceo-warns
“If capital is coming in to sit in a home, unproductively, and is distorting your marketplace and the livelihood of your residents — no thank you.”
I say BS :mad:
These banks are the ones giving mortgages to rich students and homemakers, they are all complicit to this housing crisis.
http://i.imgur.com/ij1q5uU.jpg
Perhaps they should now switch to using industrial, agricultural, retail and other Canadian non residential lands as piggy banks:

http://business.financialpost.com/real-estate/property-post/shortage-of-industrial-real-estate-is-pushing-companies-out-of-vancouver