+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vancouver applicants - (C-6 10/11)

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
Finally got my test invite today (for May 14 in Victoria). I have a question, I'm applying for a Schengen visa at the French consulate and my interview is for April 27. I'm wondering if that leaves enough time to get my passport back in time for the Citizenship interview, or if I should reschedule the Schengen visa appointment. Processing time is 1 day to 4 weeks, so it's hard to tell. Anyone have any experience with the French consulate and can provide advice?
I was in a similar position a couple of months ago.

I had applied for Schengen Student visa at the French CG in Vancouver in end October. I got the passport within the week.

To play it safe though I would schedule till after May 14 though.

Citizenship > Schengen IMO.

Cheers!

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finally got my test invite today (for May 14 in Victoria). I have a question, I'm applying for a Schengen visa at the French consulate and my interview is for April 27. I'm wondering if that leaves enough time to get my passport back in time for the Citizenship interview, or if I should reschedule the Schengen visa appointment. Processing time is 1 day to 4 weeks, so it's hard to tell. Anyone have any experience with the French consulate and can provide advice?
Updated the tracker. Congrats!!

MissFrowz

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Visa Office......
Vancouver
I was in a similar position a couple of months ago.

I had applied for Schengen Student visa at the French CG in Vancouver in end October. I got the passport within the week.

To play it safe though I would schedule till after May 14 though.

Citizenship > Schengen IMO.

Cheers!
Thank you for the advice! I scheduled the visa interview for the following day. Better safe than sorry. Much appreciated :)

Reactions: Quiches

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Yes that's normal to receive the Prohibition form. You can sign it with any date before the ceremony or on the date of ceremony while in the waiting room(which is what I did). They ask for the forms to be signed first before proceeding to line up for document verification. Then you will go into the Oath ceremony room in Vancouver IRCC.
Thank you for clarifying all this.. I am facing some problem getting in touch with references. They are either out of town on vacation or they are not citizens and some I don't know them for more than 2 years. What I should do now..if I have to apply for passport. Are there people having similar issues..?

Vicky333

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
I am facing some problem getting in touch with references. They are either out of town on vacation or they are not citizens and some I don't know them for more than 2 years. What I should do now..if I have to apply for passport. Are there people having similar issues..?
I realised that since I started school, I lost contact with most of my old friends and the new ones I haven't known for 2 years. So I am facing a similar issue and will have to reach out to old friends I haven't seen in a while. :/ Or some former colleagues.

A lot of my friends are also internationals who might not yet be citizens, too. They are on the same journey as me but not there yet!

user011

Apr 17, 2018
Do we need to attach any tax documents with application, like option c or notice of assesment.
if yes, then can i just get that online from CRA , or would i need to request a hard copy from CRA ?

Nawazt

Oct 8, 2017
Hi everyone,
I just got back from my test and got 20/20, officer said well done to me. I got my test invite on 15th march and test date was 18th April. Location is Vancouver :)

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
I realised that since I started school, I lost contact with most of my old friends and the new ones I haven't known for 2 years. So I am facing a similar issue and will have to reach out to old friends I haven't seen in a while. :/ Or some former colleagues.

A lot of my friends are also internationals who might not yet be citizens, too. They are on the same journey as me but not there yet!
Asking references like these is really annoying..people themselves don't talk much over here due their own insecurities and trust issues..and then reaching old people..is difficult when not in touch life changes. I thought of getting it from the bank..but the aren't of any help either.

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
Hey MissFrowz,

I have applied for visas at the French consulate in Vancouver three times (yup, they are pretty sick of me at this point). In my experience, I think you will have enough time. I usually get mine back in around 2-3 business days, which is honestly miraculous in comparison to other consulates. Another thing if you are worried about getting it back in time is to request an in-person pick up instead of mailing your passport back. This can potentially save you 2-5 days of mailing time.

Of course, it really depends on your individual case and the type of visa you are requesting and no one can say for sure.

wargo

Star Member
Apr 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CAIRO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
not yet
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not Yet
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Hope in January 2013
in Process Dec 6th,2017

no Test Inv till now, anyone on same boat ??!!!

Pescatore

Feb 8, 2018
I thought I would share my experience of the interview process in Vancouver yesterday. I am over 55, so I cannot comment on the test aspect.

My email invite said to attend at 08.19. When I arrived at about 0745 there was a long line up - the doors are not actually unlocked ‘till 8am - so don’t get there too early, although there is a Starbucks nearby.

Once inside there is a large reception area - there were probably about 80 people. The folks taking the test were then taken off to a different room. Us remaining oldies then had to hand in the printout of the email invite, and then we were called to a wicket (like in a bank) for the “interview”.

Not sure how they decided the order to call people. There were probably about 30-40 of us, but probably about ten of those included interpreters (family members). It looked like the folks who had interpreters were called first (but that was just my impression).

The interview itself is really confirming your ID - passport, PR card and provincial photo ID. I also highlighted some mistakes I had made on the physical presence calculator - they did not seem bothered! With the passport they check for stamps - mine had none because all my trips had been to Europe - again this did not seem to be an issue. The officer commented that they have a record of when you enter Canada but not when you leave - so there is quite an element of trust.

You then sign that no new prohibitions and that is it. The officer said the oath would be in two to three months. I am currently living outside of Canada and they put a note on the file to try and have the invite coincide with my next stay in Canada - not sure if that will happen.

The interview was ten minutes tops - after about 40 mins waiting.

Next day I got decision made - pretty cool.

My timeline is:

Vancouver

single applicant

1300 days

posted Nov 16

delivered Nov 20

AOR Jan 8

In process Feb 6

Test invite March 19

Test April 18

Decision made April 19

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
I thought I would share my experience of the interview process in Vancouver yesterday. I am over 55, so I cannot comment on the test aspect.

My email invite said to attend at 08.19. When I arrived at about 0745 there was a long line up - the doors are not actually unlocked ‘till 8am - so don’t get there too early, although there is a Starbucks nearby.

Once inside there is a large reception area - there were probably about 80 people. The folks taking the test were then taken off to a different room. Us remaining oldies then had to hand in the printout of the email invite, and then we were called to a wicket (like in a bank) for the “interview”.

Not sure how they decided the order to call people. There were probably about 30-40 of us, but probably about ten of those included interpreters (family members). It looked like the folks who had interpreters were called first (but that was just my impression).

The interview itself is really confirming your ID - passport, PR card and provincial photo ID. I also highlighted some mistakes I had made on the physical presence calculator - they did not seem bothered! With the passport they check for stamps - mine had none because all my trips had been to Europe - again this did not seem to be an issue. The officer commented that they have a record of when you enter Canada but not when you leave - so there is quite an element of trust.

You then sign that no new prohibitions and that is it. The officer said the oath would be in two to three months. I am currently living outside of Canada and they put a note on the file to try and have the invite coincide with my next stay in Canada - not sure if that will happen.

The interview was ten minutes tops - after about 40 mins waiting.

Next day I got decision made - pretty cool.

My timeline is:

Vancouver

single applicant

1300 days

posted Nov 16

delivered Nov 20

AOR Jan 8

In process Feb 6

Test invite March 19

Test April 18

Decision made April 19
Did they give you any trouble about living outside of Canada? I've just mailed my application and have plans to move back to the States. My concern is that I have to surrender my BC drivers license (which was used as my provincial/governmental ID in my application) in order to get a Washington one (which I have to have in order to register my vehicle and get insurance). They'll let me keep it, but it'll be hole-punched. I'm hoping that that won't be an issue!