+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validity of TRV if passport renewed and max validity to enter Canada

asc456

Nov 12, 2018
Dear valuable members,

My Mother has the TRV valid until June 2022 which expires with her passport. However, I am planning to renew her passport now. Can she still use the TRV on her old passport and travel to Canada on a Visitor Visa?

Can she book a one way ticket and visit Canada? She will stay for 4-5 months only and will not exceed the 6 month mark.

Can she enter Canada as long as the TRV and Passport is valid or Does she need to have atleast 6 months validity for both?

Please advise.

Regards,

Asma

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
She can use a still-valid visa in an expired passport.

She should probably not book a one-way ticket; the airline may not let her board.

She does not require 6 months validity on the visa to enter Canada, but she is most likely only permitted to stay in Canada for a maximum of 6 months.

asc456

Nov 12, 2018
Thanks a lot for the answer. I will check with the airlines if they are ok with one way ticket. My worry was if she would be denied entry at the port of entry in Canada if she doesn't have return flight ticket. I will be already in Canada and I have the PR. She will be coming to visit me and help me settle. So we are not sure how long that will take but we will not exceed 6 months.

asc456

Nov 12, 2018
Do you think I can apply for her Canada Visitor Visa again on the premise that she will be visiting me (PR Holder)? I'm new to this and hence the multitudes of questions.