+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid Work Permit but Expired TRV, travel To US and come back by air

marycanada

Jul 20, 2012
They only asked me on my return..I used the American Airlines...they asked both at US (the airlines) and at Canada customs...Just tell them that there is an exception.. they will check their computers and let you in....so no problem..

Carry your old expired visa with you...and all other documentation like employment letter, tax documents, etc..

They never checked mine..but its good to have them handy..in case they ask for it.

Have a good trip...

gossipgirl17

Oct 4, 2012
Hi can anyone help me. Iam under the live in caregiver program, my work permit is valid till july of 2013, But my TVR is going to expire this jan 2013. The problem is am I allowed to travel to US to accompany the 13 yrs old daughter of my employer for her christmas vacation even my TVR is going to expire? What documents should I bring with me? I still didnt book our flight yet because of this. If anyone of you guys experience this, can u help me please. Thanks and hoping for a reply.:)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gossipgirl17 said:
Hi can anyone help me. Iam under the live in caregiver program, my work permit is valid till july of 2013, But my TVR is going to expire this jan 2013. The problem is am I allowed to travel to US to accompany the 13 yrs old daughter of my employer for her christmas vacation even my TVR is going to expire? What documents should I bring with me? I still didnt book our flight yet because of this. If anyone of you guys experience this, can u help me please. Thanks and hoping for a reply.:)
1. Your passport and your work permit. As long as you are only going to the US and St. Pierre et Miquelon, you can return to Canada up to July/13.
2. You know this question has been answered at least a hundred times in this forum.

SupStar

Dec 1, 2011
Hello,

I have some more serious case to ask your suggestion.

My TRV has already expired 2 days ago. (Jan 13,2013)
My work permit is going to expired in 3 days (Jan 19,2013) I have already applied for an extension of my work permit 2 months ago
(Nov 7,2012) but recently I checked they are only still processing the applications submitted on October 10,2012. My work permit will likely be processed next month for sure.
I have an emergency trip to make to go to Los Angeles some time next week or in 2 weeks.

My Question:
How Can I come back with least problem ?

Pls help me. Thank you very much.

xoxo

missmaria

Jul 19, 2015
Hey Guys,
I know you have already confirmed that having a legal status (e.g study permit) in Canada will get you through the border when ONLY traveling to the U.S.

I am planning to take the Air Canada. Do you guys think that the staff at the Canadian air lines may know already about the policy? I am just worried that they keep me waiting and I'll miss my flight :(

Also, is there such requirement that your study permit needs to be valid for at least 6 months or upon your return? I am going to the U.S in Sept for a week and my study permit expires in Nov.

Thanks so much.

veesuarez

Jul 28, 2015
JULY 28, 2015

Hi everyone!!!

iam planning to visit USA for just a week... i have a valid US VISA and an OPEN WORK PERMIT (CANADA) but my TRV is expired last 2008... should i get a valid TRV or not? because the one i read from the previous post, no need to get a valid TRV but that was 2012 or 2013 post.

and iam travelling by plane.

please help. thank u

Awesome7

Jun 6, 2015
Hey guys,

Expired temporary resident visa (TRV)

You can request to return to Canada on your original temporary resident visa, even if it is expired, if:
you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.

An officer will confirm whether you meet all the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada. If you visit any country other than those listed above, you will need a new temporary resident visa.

Also make sure you have your OWP, letter of job offer if you have it.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
veesuarez said:
JULY 28, 2015

Hi everyone!!!

iam planning to visit USA for just a week... i have a valid US VISA and an OPEN WORK PERMIT (CANADA) but my TRV is expired last 2008... should i get a valid TRV or not? because the one i read from the previous post, no need to get a valid TRV but that was 2012 or 2013 post.

and iam travelling by plane.

please help. thank u

As Awesome explained.... you can definitely travel without one. Nonetheless you will have to give explanations all over the place about why you don't have a valid TRV (for example Airlines do not like people boarding without a proper TRV). Better to get one if you can.

missmaria

Jul 19, 2015
Hey guys,
Do you think it is mostly the international airlines (other than Air Canada), who may not know about this policy? I know you have the right to visit the U.S without a TRV, but I am just paranoid that they are not going to let me board :(
Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

Mar 20, 2018
Hello,

I am a student in Canada and I have a valid study permit, but my Canadian visa has expired. I already applied for U.S Visa and my interview date is 13th April. My doubt is now the Canadian visa has expired and if I send my Passport for visa extension it will take approximately a month. Will my expired Canadian Visa would create any problem for my U.S Visa application, though I have Valid study Permit?

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi,
If I don't have USA visa and canada visa expired, only have vaild work permit in canada. I want to go to border and re-enter in canada. Is it possible? will they allow me to re-enter?