+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid Work Permit but Expired TRV, travel To US and come back by air

robero

Jul 27, 2012
Hi,

I am an Indian citizen. I recently got my work permit renewed till June 2013. I have compulsory conference to attend in San Diego USA from Aug 28 to Sep 1. My TRV got expired in July 2012. I was waiting for permit to be renewed and then apply for visa renewal. But now I have urgent trip coming up and can't send my passport for TRV renewal. I think my visa won't be processed in such a short time.

I do have valid US visa for travel. I heard that one can travel to US only and re-enter Canada provided one has valid work permit only (visa may be expired). My question is has one travelled by air under my conditions and was allowed to board the plane. or is it true for border crossing by road only.
If can't travel back by air. Probably I will fly to San Diego but take a return flight to Seattle and then cross border by Bus to Vancouver and then fly back to Alberta. Can anyone comment on this plan. This travel plan is long, I would prefer coming back directly to Edmonton, Alberta from San Diego by air rather than taking detours via bus from Seattle to Vancouver.

Your replies will be greatly appreciated.

robero

Jul 27, 2012
@GLOBEWIN. Thanks for your reply I was wondering how do you convince airline officials. I heard once they see expired visa, it would be hard to convince them. Do I need to take something along with me so that airline people let me board the plane.

GLOBEWIN

Jul 23, 2012
robero said:
@ GLOBEWIN. Thanks for your reply I was wondering how do you convince airline officials. I heard once they see expired visa, it would be hard to convince them. Do I need to take something along with me so that airline people let me board the plane.
They will not bother to look at VISA, if passport is accompanied by WORK PERMIT. VISA is a document allowing entry and PERMIT allows legal stay. As you already entered Canadian Border once with a Valid Visa they wont ask until you return back to a country which would require VISA for Re-entry.

So here if you Go US you are going from Canada that means you are already accepted once based on your visa, you are re-entering back from US which doesn't require VISA for entry but you would certainly require to show proof of valid permit to stay in Canada.

marycanada

Jul 20, 2012
Hi,

I am in exactly same situation as yours. I have called the CIC yesterday and they have told me I can travel without a Visa to USA but I did not ask them about Air Travel. I think it should be the same but I will call them again and confirm. They have asked me to carry all these documents with me to show at the port of entry.

1. Passport with the Initial TRV (even if expired)
2. Work permit.
3. Employment Letter and other confirmation about your Ties with Canada.
4. Bank Statements/Tax documents anything to show your current status in Canada.
5. We do not require a TRV only if we are traveling to US and St.pierre

I have a few links that you can also print and keep a copy of them with you to show at the airport.This was suggested by some universities to their international students.

Hope this helps. Any additional Info if you know please post it.

Also f you get a chance call the call center or I will try to call them again and confirm about the air travel.

Thanks,
Mary

robero

Jul 27, 2012
Hi Mary,

That was helpful. It will be great if you post the reply when you ask the CIC about the air travel. I have tried them calling, they are always busy

Thanks
Nitin

marycanada

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Nitin,

Didn't get a chance to call the call centre until today. I have received information and confirmation from them that as long as you are only traveling to US and no other Country by air or road. You can travel on expired Canadian TRV and valid work permit and return to Canada. Also carry all other documentation mentioned on my earlier post.

Thanks,
Mary

marycanada

Jul 20, 2012
Just realized that you already must have left to the US..Let me know how did it go..once you are back..As I am leaving end of September..

robero

Jul 27, 2012
Hi, I was able to return back without any problem. So, you just need valid work permit if one comes back from US even if visa has expired. Many thanks to all for confirming what was true and now I have confirmed it as well.

himonetwo

Sep 18, 2012
Hi All,

I am also in the same situation. I have US visitor Visa. My Canada visa is expired but i have valid WP.

So can i travel to US and come back by air?

marycanada

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Himono,

Yes you can. I have confirmed this with CIC many times. They have sent me an email too with this info. I am going next week.

I can update you on how id it go when I get back.

Thanks,
Mary.

himonetwo

Sep 18, 2012
Hi Mary,

when you are coming back. My travel dates are next week. Please let me know soon if possible, how it went.

Thanks!!

marycanada

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Himonotwo,
I got back on the 29 th.And it was a smooth sail. They might ask u for ur visa but just let them know that it s not required when u travel to US alone there is an exception.
No worries at all.Just as a back up keep all the documentation with u.
All the best.
Cheers,
Mary.

himonetwo

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks Mary!!

thanks for the info. So while going from Canada did they asked you the same question? or they asked it while coming back?

By which airlines you went?
Can you also tell me the documents that you carried along with you?

Thanks!!