+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid ID for IELTS with no Passport and PR

maktabi

Jan 19, 2016
Hello
Although the website stated that the British Council will only accept valid PR or Passport as an ID, I registered for IELTS test using my RTD. I went to the test and unfortunately, they didn't accept my RTD, I showed them every ID I have such as, Driving Licence and Health card. My passport is seized by the CBSA and not yet received it back since I still have on-going PR application with the IRCC.
I need to set for the test to continue my education.
My national passport will expire at the end of the month.
Anyone out there has been to the situation?
Thanks.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
@maktabi - I sat my IELTS using my Travel Document in Halifax, NS with no issue. And that was the academic version in 2013.
They can NOT refuse your travel document. It is an official travel document issued by Canadian government.
Sorry can't help more.

Reactions: maktabi

maktabi

Jan 19, 2016
That was their reply to my complaint

“I am sorry to hear about your misfortune.

As you agreed in terms and condition before you start the registration the ONLY acceptable IDs by IELTS partners is either your Passport or your Canadian Permanent Resident Card and there is NO third option as you can see below ,we have copied and attached that section below for your reference as well. It is worth mentioning even if you had taken the test your results would not be released by British Council due to not using a VALID ID for registration and on the test day :

1. All payments and documentation muse be submitted within 24 hours from the time you register online.

2. Incomplete registrations will result in an automatic cancellation.

3. Early cancellations and rescheduling are subject to an 80.00 dollar administrative fee.

4. Cancellations within five weeks of the examination are non-refundable.

5. Mailed documents must reach us five (5) business days after registration.

6. NO Transfers or Refunds will be granted to late commers or Test takers without acceptable IDs on the test day.

7. The only accepted ID by IELTS partners is either your VALID PASSPORT or Canadian PR Card

8. Test takers must bring the ID document used for registration with on test day – either valid passport or Permanent Resident (PR) Card. Photocopies of either document will not be accepted, please be sure to bring the originals.”

nsr_asma

Dec 17, 2019
@maktabi Hello, I just came across this and my friend is in a similar situation currently. Would you mind sharing what you ended up doing? Were you able to write the language test without your passport?

Thanks in advance