+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vague(?) Question #8 on CIT0001E

Alaska2Canada

Apr 1, 2016
On the CIT0001E form, “Application for Citizenship Certificate for Adults and Minors”, Question #8 asks:

“Did this parent leave Canada for more than 1 year before 1977?”

If the answer is, “Yes”, the form asks for:

“From (YYYY-MM-DD)” and “To (YYYY-MM-DD)”.

This, to me, is rather vague. Do they want the “from” and “to” dates only prior to 1977, or, do they want the “to” date if it was later than 1977?

Example, my mother left Canada in 1946 and never lived there again. Do I fill out:

or,

Thanks for any insights.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would suggest that you go with 1946 to the date of her death, and write "date of death" next to the latter date. If you went with 1946 to 1977, it may give the impression that she started living in Canada again in 1977.

Alaska2Canada

Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for the insight.

It is frustrating in the sense that I want to fill out the form without mistakes as I don't want the thing to be bounced back to me 5 months from now telling me to fix something and then re-submit.

The instruction sheet on how to fill out the form is just about useless. It doesn't explain the purpose of the questions on the form, it just repeats the questions.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alaska2Canada said:
Thanks for the insight.

It is frustrating in the sense that I want to fill out the form without mistakes as I don't want the thing to be bounced back to me 5 months from now telling me to fix something and then re-submit.

The instruction sheet on how to fill out the form is just about useless. It doesn't explain the purpose of the questions on the form, it just repeats the questions.
The main thing is to fill out every section of the form, leaving no areas blank (even if they don't seem to apply).

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alaska2Canada said:
Thanks for the insight.

The purpose of the question is to determine whether your mother lost her Canadian citizenship by being absent from Canada for 10 years before 1977. However, that only applied to naturalized Canadian citizens, not people born in Canada. All you have to do is answer the questions and CIC will decide if/how they apply to your situation.