+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UWindsor or MUN?

MiteshS94

Dec 29, 2018
You should provide more info buddy. What are your academics? What do you want to pursue? Your IELTS score, any work experience and so on.

rahuln

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
You should provide more info buddy. What are your academics? What do you want to pursue? Your IELTS score, any work experience and so on.
I've got into a course based masters at MUN and thesis based at Windsor. Both in areas related to Civil Engineering. Was just wondering in terms of job opportunities, pnp program, quality of education etc.

Ayo787

Feb 18, 2019
I've got into a course based masters at MUN and thesis based at Windsor. Both in areas related to Civil Engineering. Was just wondering in terms of job opportunities, pnp program, quality of education etc.

Were you allocated funding at Windsor for research? But I would actually advice you go for the research based own. Just my opinion though!

rahuln

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Were you allocated funding at Windsor for research? But I would actually advice you go for the research based own. Just my opinion though!
No funding.. but I may qualify for scholarships or RA later on.. will a research based degree give me an edge in finding jobs and such,?

Ayo787

Feb 18, 2019
No funding.. but I may qualify for scholarships or RA later on.. will a research based degree give me an edge in finding jobs and such,?

Yeah, with research based you have a great chance of securing job on time than a course based program. However, what about MUN, were you given funding there as I know course based program doesn't have funding.

But if you're considering the cost, I would advise you go to MUN as cost of tuition and living is cheaper.

But if you're capable of sponsoring yourself for the research based pending till you get Research Assistantship, then research based is highly recommended.

Thank you.

And I hope this help!!!

Reactions: rahuln

Ayo787

Feb 18, 2019
Also, sometimes in January a lecturer in University of Windsor sent me this email and I have a CGPA of 94.8%. so you can be guided by this.

Dear Ayo,

Thank you for your kind letter,

Here at the University of Windsor, the tuition is very high for international students.

There is an annual competition for a scholarship for non-Canadian students, but it is very competitive and the award goes to students with the strongest publication and scholarship record.

Best regards,

Dr. Zielinski

rahuln

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Yeah, with research based you have a great chance of securing job on time than a course based program. However, what about MUN, were you given funding there as I know course based program doesn't have funding.

But if you're considering the cost, I would advise you go to MUN as cost of tuition and living is cheaper.

But if you're capable of sponsoring yourself for the research based pending till you get Research Assistantship, then research based is highly recommended.

Thank you.

And I hope this help!!!
Actually the fee for both the programs is same if I finish the UWindsor program in 4 terms. But yeah, I think there will be more opportunity in Ontario, with all the job fests and if I can get RA. Thanks for your help :)

rahuln

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Also, sometimes in January a lecturer in University of Windsor sent me this email and I have a CGPA of 94.8%. so you can be guided by this.

Dear Ayo,

Thank you for your kind letter,

Here at the University of Windsor, the tuition is very high for international students.

There is an annual competition for a scholarship for non-Canadian students, but it is very competitive and the award goes to students with the strongest publication and scholarship record.

Best regards,

Dr. Zielinski
Oof :-( I was actually counting on getting a scholarship, didn't know it was that competitive

Ayo787

Feb 18, 2019
Actually the fee for both the programs is same if I finish the UWindsor program in 4 terms. But yeah, I think there will be more opportunity in Ontario, with all the job fests and if I can get RA. Thanks for your help :)

You're welcome. I'm still waiting for decision from University of Saskatchewan and Memorial University of Newfoundland. But I have heard from Dalhousie University in which they have recommended me to faculty of graduate studies I should be admitted

Ayo787

Feb 18, 2019
Oof :-( I was actually counting on getting a scholarship, didn't know it was that competitive

Nothing is impossible for God to do. Just be hopeful but I would advise you try and get a Graduate Research Assistantship or Graduate Teaching Assistantship so you can use it to finance your studies.

rahuln

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
You're welcome. I'm still waiting for decision from University of Saskatchewan and Memorial University of Newfoundland. But I have heard from Dalhousie University in which they have recommended me to faculty of graduate studies I should be admitted
That's great! USask is really good if you get it there

rahuln

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Nothing is impossible for God to do. Just be hopeful but I would advise you try and get a Graduate Research Assistantship or Graduate Teaching Assistantship so you can use it to finance your studies.
Yeah. Thanks for your help :)

Ayo787

Feb 18, 2019
That's great! USask is really good if you get it there

Yeah and I already have a prospective supervisor as acceptance is contingent on availability of a prospective supervisor.

It was my prospective supervisor that sent me a email requesting if I have secured a graduate student position and I said no. Then he asked me to go ahead submit an official Application. Luckily for me, he is the graduate chair for my department.

Reactions: rahuln