+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using foreign PhD as work experience

Mikem86

Star Member
Jul 10, 2018
Hey guys,

I've seen many in this this thread say that for a PhD experience to be counted as job experience, apart from the monthly salary and matching the job duties, one needs to have been officially employed as a staff, and definitely not as a student. Anyhow, I highly doubt that this interpretation is true, for it being inconsistent to what described as "Employment Requirement" of NOC 4012 below. It specifically states "Enrolment in, or completion of, a university or college program is required" that is obviously inclusive of those who gained their PhD while classified as student. Please take note that it says "enrollment" and not "employment"; it also says towards completion of a degree or college program that is the very definition of being a student.

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/NocProfile/50b4aff45261483bb8702aca23aebb3e?objectid=buul54bcKQOyTXnxfAeFNlLDrXND8+mLCtkS+2LVAxZ4jMoEisp3E5gtOS0ouBip

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Hey guys,

I've seen many in this this thread say that for a PhD experience to be counted as job experience, apart from the monthly salary and matching the job duties, one needs to have been officially employed as a staff, and definitely not as a student. Anyhow, I highly doubt that this interpretation is true, for it being inconsistent to what described as "Employment Requirement" of NOC 4012 below. It specifically states "Enrolment in, or completion of, a university or college program is required" that is obviously inclusive of those who gained their PhD while classified as student. Please take note that it says "enrollment" and not "employment"; it also says towards completion of a degree or college program that is the very definition of being a student.

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/NocProfile/50b4aff45261483bb8702aca23aebb3e?objectid=buul54bcKQOyTXnxfAeFNlLDrXND8+mLCtkS+2LVAxZ4jMoEisp3E5gtOS0ouBip
For FSW, it's perfectly okay if NOC4012 experience was obtained while being a student. Different story for CEC though.

Direct copy & paste from EE-FSW operation bulletin:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

Minimum work experience requirement

Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description.

sufonama

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hi all,

Continuing the same topic, I want to know whether someone has successfully claimed points for work experience as well as education out of their European PhD?

mohoozee

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hi all,

Continuing the same topic, I want to know whether someone has successfully claimed points for work experience as well as education out of their European PhD?
Yes, I did. However, that was back in 2017 and I don't know if the rules have changed much since then.

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi all,

Hi I can see from my GCMS notes that my foreign PhD work has been accepted as a work experience (even my Canadian research visit with a work permit was accepted as Canadian work experience) but I have not graduated with PhD yet so I did not claim points for education (only my bachelor and masters).

Captain2019

Apr 21, 2019
Hi all,

Hi,
Yes, we have seen this happen last year! If you were on a work contract (i.e getting a salary, paying taxes, and your employment hours match that required for the application) in your PhD, you are eligible to claim points both for work experience and education.

Hope this helps!

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi,
Yes, we have seen this happen last year! If you were on a work contract (i.e getting a salary, paying taxes, and your employment hours match that required for the application) in your PhD, you are eligible to claim points both for work experience and education.

Hope this helps!
Adding to the conversation: I was on a scholarship. I was even apply to claim points for my Canadian research visit as NOC 4012, because I wrote a letter of explanation and showed that I was in Canada with a valid work permit and I got paid from my home country (scholarship so not payment from my university). They accepted the work experience even though I didn't get paid in Canada :)

sufonama

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hi guys, I now have 480+ points but haven't made an express entry profile yet. As I expect to get the ITA, I want to prepare all required documents first. Can someone have a say what documents are needed once ITA is issued. I know I have to have police clearance certificates, medical, passport, experience certificates, salary/tax records etc but are there any other docs that are difficult to get or take time to prepare?

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi guys, I now have 480+ points but haven't made an express entry profile yet. As I expect to get the ITA, I want to prepare all required documents first. Can someone have a say what documents are needed once ITA is issued. I know I have to have police clearance certificates, medical, passport, experience certificates, salary/tax records etc but are there any other docs that are difficult to get or take time to prepare?
Do you have English or French exam results and did you want to get extra points for your education overseas (then they need to be assessed through WES or something else)?

sufonama

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Do you have English or French exam results and did you want to get extra points for your education overseas (then they need to be assessed through WES or something else)?
Yes, I have ECE for my PhD degree and IELTS result with 8+ bands in all modules

Reactions: egam189

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Yes, I have ECE for my PhD degree and IELTS result with 8+ bands in all modules
Great seems that you have it all sorted :) Start listing a timeline for your life for the past 10 years (addresses, travels, emlpyed/unemlpyed etc. They will ask these things.)

sufonama

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hello,

Anyone still concerned with this situation as of now? I will have a PhD degree from a Danish university next year. PhD fellows work full time in Denmark, get their monthly salary, are involved in teaching and certainly are on a work-permit. Would you share if you have had success getting a PR with the Danish PhD work experience?
Hi maplenow,

May I ask if you have succesfully claimed points for your Danish PhD work. I also have Danish PhD and want to claim points, thanks