+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using foreign PhD as work experience

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Hi all,

A quick question about filling out the express entry for NOC 4012 candidates with different work hours for TA and RA positions. Do I create a different entry for the same NOC each time I hit a new date range with my TA/RA alternating work experience?
As in my letter:

September 15, 2014 – June 14, 2015: 17.5 hours/week (as a Teaching Assistant)
June 15, 2015 – January 3, 2016: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)
January 4, 2016 – March 20, 2016: 17.5 hours/week (as a Teaching Assistant)
March 21, 2016 – September 25, 2016: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)
September 26, 2016 – June 10, 2017: 16.25 hours/week (as half-TA/half-RA)
June 11, 2017 – Ongoing: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)

Would each of these lines be a separate entry in the application?

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi all,

A quick question about filling out the express entry for NOC 4012 candidates with different work hours for TA and RA positions. Do I create a different entry for the same NOC each time I hit a new date range with my TA/RA alternating work experience?
As in my letter:

September 15, 2014 – June 14, 2015: 17.5 hours/week (as a Teaching Assistant)
June 15, 2015 – January 3, 2016: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)
January 4, 2016 – March 20, 2016: 17.5 hours/week (as a Teaching Assistant)
March 21, 2016 – September 25, 2016: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)
September 26, 2016 – June 10, 2017: 16.25 hours/week (as half-TA/half-RA)
June 11, 2017 – Ongoing: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)

Would each of these lines be a separate entry in the application?
I didn't do that but since you have different hours per week, you need to list them as you have shown.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
I didn't do that but since you have different hours per week, you need to list them as you have shown.
Thank you!
Wow that will be a lot of entries for one job then, as my letter shows the title as Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant. I hope they count all of them as one long job with alternating work hours.
So if this is the only job I ever had, NOC 4012 would also be my primary occupation?

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
I had about 5 or 6 different entries for hours too. Yes it would be your primary occupation. Looking at your hours, you will probably get 1.5 years of full time foreign work experience, maybe 2 years. So count either 1 or 2 year work experience and see your CRS scores: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
I actually calculated the hours and years already, it adds up to over 3 years (~5000 hours), unless I made a big mistake in my calculations

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
I actually calculated the hours and years already, it adds up to over 3 years (~5000 hours), unless I made a big mistake in my calculations
I hope you are right, I had ONE part-time experience, and it devalued my work experience years a lot. I saw it when I ordered GCMS notes.

"at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week)"

You do not have any experience that is 30 hours per week.

"Equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)"
So maybe with this you get the 3 years. Good luck.

Reactions: Linalin

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
I hope you are right, I had ONE part-time experience, and it devalued my work experience years a lot. I saw it when I ordered GCMS notes.

"at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week)"

You do not have any experience that is 30 hours per week.

"Equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)"
So maybe with this you get the 3 years. Good luck.
Thanks so much for clarification! Hmm I thought it would just be a simple addition for my case since, I guess, I have 6 full years of at least 15 hours/week (and in a lot of weeks it's more than that, so it's gotta be more that 4860 hours) under the same NOC and with the same employer. Was that one part-time experience that reduced your work experience for the same NOC/same employer?

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Thanks so much for clarification! Hmm I thought it would just be a simple addition for my case since, I guess, I have 6 full years of at least 15 hours/week (and in a lot of weeks it's more than that, so it's gotta be more that 4860 hours) under the same NOC and with the same employer. Was that one part-time experience that reduced your work experience for the same NOC/same employer?
Yes unfortunately the part-time reduced my 2 year foreign work experience to 1 (I had 1 year and 11 months). Luckily I had one Canadian work experience. So if you get 2 years and 11 months, it will be considered 2 year work experience. But I think looking at your timeline, you might be fine. :)

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Yes unfortunately the part-time reduced my 2 year foreign work experience to 1 (I had 1 year and 11 months). Luckily I had one Canadian work experience. So if you get 2 years and 11 months, it will be considered 2 year work experience. But I think looking at your timeline, you might be fine. :)
Oh I see what you mean now! That's great that you had other work experience to add to your hours :) Thanks so much!

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Well, I have another question for you all! My department says they can provide me with letters in two ways:
1) My PhD advisor (and I TAd for him) could write me a letter stating my duties, and our department administrator would write the letter stating the hours/salaries/other info, or
2) Our department administrator can write one letter stating everything from duties to administrative information.
Which do you think is better? Thanks to you all again for advice!

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Well, I have another question for you all! My department says they can provide me with letters in two ways:
1) My PhD advisor (and I TAd for him) could write me a letter stating my duties, and our department administrator would write the letter stating the hours/salaries/other info, or
2) Our department administrator can write one letter stating everything from duties to administrative information.
Which do you think is better? Thanks to you all again for advice!
Both work, but I would aim for option 2.

sufonama

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Urgent: Anyone here who did PhD from Europe, claimed points for that and successfully submitted the application - may I ask what documents you submitted other than reference letter, specifically did you also submit salary slips, IF yes, did you have them translated into English? Mine salary slips are in Danish, should I have them translated as well. I have reference letter and banks statements indicating my salary credit

sufonama

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Both work, but I would aim for option 2.

Urgent: Anyone here who did PhD from Europe, claimed points for that and successfully submitted the application - may I ask what documents you submitted other than reference letter, specifically did you also submit salary slips, IF yes, did you have them translated into English? Mine salary slips are in Danish, should I have them translated as well. I have reference letter and banks statements indicating my salary credit

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
I did attach my scholarship letter as a proof of salary, but only to CEC experience, translated to English by the foundation. For foreign Phd experience, I only had my work experience letter showing how much I got paid and the hours.

Reactions: sufonama