+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using expired IELTS that was sent with family class PR application for citizenship application

bokke

Feb 22, 2013
I have applied for PR in 2015 through marriage and was not aware I do not require the proof of language, so I have written the IELTS and sent it in with my application. Can I use the same (expired) IELTS for my citizenship application or no? Since I was not required to send it based on the class I was applying for PR through? If anyone can help thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I have applied for PR in 2015 through marriage and was not aware I do not require the proof of language, so I have written the IELTS and sent it in with my application. Can I use the same (expired) IELTS for my citizenship application or no? Since I was not required to send it based on the class I was applying for PR through? If anyone can help thanks.
1. When all else fails, read the instructions. Yes you can use a copy of an expired IELTs for proof of English for you citizenship application.

bokke

Feb 22, 2013
Hi

1. When all else fails, read the instructions. Yes you can use a copy of an expired IELTs for proof of English for you citizenship application.

Thanks. I have red the instructions but was still confused by the ''if you have previously used proof of language for immigration that has expired we will accept it''. I though it is only valid if you used it because you had to ( federal skilled, CEC etc. class) Family class does not require it but i did not know so i wrote the test and sent it anyways.

dsan_01

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
I was in similar situation so this is what I did and IELTS score card helped.

I had applied for Canadian PR in 200x and that queue was closed without processing. For citizenship, I added this 200x IELTS score card + letter from my university confirming that medium of instruction for my undergrad degree was english ( Since my degree itself did not have it mention on it).
During my interview, the first thing agent asked me to show original IELTS score card and was satisfied with English condition. He was not that interested in my undergrad degree but I still insisted to show this letter too so no issue arises later. My application is in DM now. Hope this helps

Last edited:

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
You can use same IELTS document on your citizenship application even if it has expired.. IELTS anyways expires in 2 years from the date of result.