+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

User Support Technician NOC 2282 but do not have a college education in IT.

CEChopefull

Apr 22, 2012
Hi there guys,

I am going to apply to CEC soon on my own without any lawyers...I think provincial nominee programs are too hard and are employer bound...My NOC is 2282 as a technical support in a call centre..I initially got that job when I graduated from in a Business course in the call centre...I was offered the job straight away in as a user support person and the NOC is 2282 which is B.....The problem is I was looking at HRSDC website and it says that people who work in this NOC usually have college education in IT which I dont.. Will this be of any problem??

lilyluvx

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-12-2011
AOR Received.
13-04-2012
Med's Request
24-04-2012
Med's Done....
26-04-2012
Passport Req..
01-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2012
Did you attend any IT related traning course? Did you have any previous tech support work experience?

If your employer is willing to offer you an IT related job even though you are from a completely different background, there must be something in you that convinced him that you can do well in this job. Just use the same thing to convince the VO.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CEChopefull said:
The problem is I was looking at HRSDC website and it says that people who work in this NOC usually have college education in IT which I dont.. Will this be of any problem??
CIC does not use the education/experience requirements in assessing the validity of an NOC. The key is the job duties identified in your Letter of Reference from your employer.

So, no, the lack of a degree in IT will not be a problem.

CEChopefull

Apr 22, 2012
jes_ON said:
CIC does not use the education/experience requirements in assessing the validity of an NOC. The key is the job duties identified in your Letter of Reference from your employer.

So, no, the lack of a degree in IT will not be a problem.
One more thing Jes_on, My wage is very low compared to tech professionals..I am only offered around 10.50 an hour, which is lower than the lowest wage on workingincanaga.gc.ca, will this be a problem??..... I hope they dont assume that I am just a regular call centre agent because of low salary despite having duties for tech support..

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CEChopefull said:
One more thing Jes_on, My wage is very low compared to tech professionals..I am only offered around 10.50 an hour, which is lower than the lowest wage on workingincanaga.gc.ca, will this be a problem??..... I hope they dont assume that I am just a regular call centre agent because of low salary despite having duties for tech support..
That could be a problem, depending on your job duties. I think I recall another person on here in a similar situation, who did indeed get rejected, but I think in that case the applicant's duties were part customer service agent and part tech support. The wage isn't going to help - but officially, it can't hurt unless there is doubt about your job duties.

Based on what you've said, if your Letter of Reference is clear-cut about your job duties matching NOC 2282, you shouldn't have a problem. But I think call centres are somewhat stigmatized as low-skilled, and I would generally say, if you need "skilled" work experience, stay far away from call centres, unless you are a supervisor or manager.

CEChopefull

Apr 22, 2012
jes_ON said:
That could be a problem, depending on your job duties. I think I recall another person on here in a similar situation, who did indeed get rejected, but I think in that case the applicant's duties were part customer service agent and part tech support. The wage isn't going to help - but officially, it can't hurt unless there is doubt about your job duties.

Based on what you've said, if your Letter of Reference is clear-cut about your job duties matching NOC 2282, you shouldn't have a problem. But I think call centres are somewhat stigmatized as low-skilled, and I would generally say, if you need "skilled" work experience, stay far away from call centres, unless you are a supervisor or manager.
Wow most of my job duties is technical support but some and only "some" of the duties also belong to level c work of call centre agent...Is it worth taking the risk or shall i start looking for PNP programs..

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
OK, so you're in exactly the same situation. Sorry to hear that. Of course there's no way I can predict what will happen with your application, but I think you have good reason to be concerned. Only you know whether the risk is worth it to you (if you can afford to lose the application fee, for example). You can apply to both CEC and PNP if you want. Don't know what your situation is with work permits or how much time you have. You could try to find a better SKILLED job. Or if you stick with the call center, if you get promoted to supervisor, that experience would be considered skilled.

CEChopefull

Apr 22, 2012
jes_ON said:
OK, so you're in exactly the same situation. Sorry to hear that. Of course there's no way I can predict what will happen with your application, but I think you have good reason to be concerned. Only you know whether the risk is worth it to you (if you can afford to lose the application fee, for example). You can apply to both CEC and PNP if you want. Don't know what your situation is with work permits or how much time you have. You could try to find a better SKILLED job. Or if you stick with the call center, if you get promoted to supervisor, that experience would be considered skilled.
I have about 20 months left...Any good PNP programs out there, I know for SINP its too late now because they increased their requirements from 6 to 12 months for international graduates.