+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Used my country passport to travel for education

adil22

Mar 7, 2024
Hello guys,
Firstly, appreciate your comments and help in Advance. We were granted PR as protected people on May 2023 mainly because my father used to work in Pre-Taliban government in Afghanistan and now that the Taliban rules the country, our case was based on fear or prosecution. At that time of the case, we (excluding my dad) were already in Turkey for like three years and I was a student at a university. When we came to Canada, my education was left incomplete and I did not want to start from the scratch here( I study software engineering). I went back to Turkey on August to continue my education. Came back on January to perform Internship here and have to go back to Turkey on May for my last two semesters. I did not know that I had to use Travel document for travel. Now, I am not sure if I apply for Travel document, will it come in two months or not? Also, what if my application for travel document causes the officers to file for a cessation or something? And if we are not supposed to use our passports, then when we arrived, why did the officers in Airport, got our passports, stamped them and gave them back to us directly. Should not have them kept them to show we cannot use them? They did not even say anything about the passports

I am really worried and confused. Should I apply for travel document but then will I get it in two months or not? Or If I continue using my Afghan passport, then what?
Note: the main applicant in our refugee case is my father, not me and it was a privately sponsored case.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys,
Firstly, appreciate your comments and help in Advance. We were granted PR as protected people on May 2023 mainly because my father used to work in Pre-Taliban government in Afghanistan and now that the Taliban rules the country, our case was based on fear or prosecution. At that time of the case, we (excluding my dad) were already in Turkey for like three years and I was a student at a university. When we came to Canada, my education was left incomplete and I did not want to start from the scratch here( I study software engineering). I went back to Turkey on August to continue my education. Came back on January to perform Internship here and have to go back to Turkey on May for my last two semesters. I did not know that I had to use Travel document for travel. Now, I am not sure if I apply for Travel document, will it come in two months or not? Also, what if my application for travel document causes the officers to file for a cessation or something? And if we are not supposed to use our passports, then when we arrived, why did the officers in Airport, got our passports, stamped them and gave them back to us directly. Should not have them kept them to show we cannot use them? They did not even say anything about the passports

I am really worried and confused. Should I apply for travel document but then will I get it in two months or not? Or If I continue using my Afghan passport, then what?
Note: the main applicant in our refugee case is my father, not me and it was a privately sponsored case.
If you are a protected person then you need to apply for an RTD. Would also verify how long you are able to remain in Turkey on an RTD and whether you can study. If you want the best chances of retaining your status in Canada then you should stop using your passport from Afghanistan right away. The fact that you already used it is problematic but if you continue using it will increase the chances of losing your status in Canada. When people are privately sponsored they typically don’t plan on leaving soon after getting to Canada. Most have waited a long time to get to Canada and are focused on setting up their lives in Canada. In the case of privately sponsored refugees they only have 1 year of support so want to take advantage of the year before they have to be financially self-sufficient and they no longer have a support system guiding them on all other aspects of Canadian life. An RTD limits where you can travel and for how long so you’ll need to verify the length of stay allowed for RTD holders in Turkey and whether you can study on an RTD and whether you need a study permit. Whoever sponsored your family should have been aware of the rules and would have also been aware that you planned on leaving Canada so should have made sure that you applied for an RTD from the beginning since they are responsible for guiding and supporting your family for the first year. You also need to verify that you can study in Turkey on an RTD and remain in Turkey for over a certain number of days. An RTD is not accepted in every country and if it is accepted there may be an maximum length of stay. Have never heard of others leaving Canada so soon after arriving after being privately sponsored to study abroad so not sure how difficult it is to study with an RTD although it will depend on the country. Turkey does accept RTDs so that is a positive first step.