+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA Visa: Using my refugee travel document

Raphaell

Jul 6, 2019
Canada
Hi, I want to apply for an USA visitor's visa using my refugee travel document. My country's passport was ceased by immigration when I applied at the IRCC office that contains a current USA visa (expires in December 2019). Currently, I am looking to obtain a USA visa, but I don't know how to go about the proccess yet. Can anyone who knows about the steps kindly tell me what to do? Thank you

Shaii

Jul 31, 2019
Hi,

You can find all the information you need here:

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv

It's basically: fill the DS-160 form, pay fee, setup an appointment, go to your interview the day of your appointment..
I have few questions regarding US Visa ( I am a refugee in Canada with RTD and PR)
1- Do I have to provide any financial documents?
2- My passport is expired. so I will be only using RTD. would this affect the probability?
3- I do not have any contact in USA- Do I have to Book a hotel and make reservations before applying?

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
I have few questions regarding US Visa ( I am a refugee in Canada with RTD and PR)
2- My passport is expired. so I will be only using RTD. would this affect the probability?
3- I do not have any contact in USA- Do I have to Book a hotel and make reservations before applying?
1.- I would advice to bring with you any supporting documents that proves you have enough funds to travel to the U.S. for the period and purpose you are intending to travel.. that is, bank Statements, Proof of Employment.. etc..etc.. In my case they did not ask for any of those documents, but you never know.. better safe than sorry..

2.- I don't think so.. My national passport and U.S. visa are valid, but they are also seized by the Canadian government, The Visa officer asked for my current visa, All I told them was: "My current VISA and National passport were seized by the Canadian Government" and I got the VISA.. I think your probability is based more on what are the odds on you overstaying in the US, not which Immigration Document you use.. That bring us to the first question, the more you convince the V.O. of your ties to Canada, the more likely you'll get your visa approved..

3.- No.. that's not necessary.. but be prepared to answer questions like.. "which city are you planning to visit?", "for how long are you planning to stay?" and "do you have close family anywhere in the U.S.?"

Good luck...

Shaii

Jul 31, 2019
Thank you for the valuable information.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Today my family & I got the US visa with our RTD and PR. The passports will be returned to us in one week. Very excited :)

Nasri4

Oct 26, 2019
Today my family & I got the US visa with our RTD and PR. The passports will be returned to us in one week. Very excited :)
Ayy congrats my friend, i hope you have a pleasant stay there!
I have a question though, I’m kind of thinking about applying fir a visa( (I have RTD and PR) but my question is: did u cross the border illegally coming to Canada from the US?

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Ayy congrats my friend, i hope you have a pleasant stay there!
I have a question though, I’m kind of thinking about applying fir a visa( (I have RTD and PR) but my question is: did u cross the border illegally coming to Canada from the US?
no, we did not. We were in the US for a visit visa and were able to cross legally through the Ambassador Bridge to claim refugee protection in Canada in 2012. We did that because we have a family member in Canada.

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Congrats!! Caveat: they told me 3 days to get my RTD back, but it was really around 3 weeks.. I had a previous valid U.S Visa in my national passport seized by Canadian Authorities and I think it took that long because they actually confirm that with Canadians.

Reactions: live&love

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Congrats!! Caveat: they told me 3 days to get my RTD back, but it was really around 3 weeks.. I had a previous valid U.S Visa in my national passport seized by Canadian Authorities and I think it took that long because they actually confirm that with Canadians.
yeah they must have. I will wait for up to 10 days, if I don’t receive it, I will contact them, but thank you :)

Raphaell

Jul 6, 2019
Canada
Hi, I have completed my U.S application, but the website does not tell me how to set-up an interview. Please could you tell me how to obtain a date for an interview with the USA embassy? Thank you

Zulubia

Oct 1, 2020
Hello, when I was in the US with a visitor visa in 2019, I crossed the illegal border to Canada to seek asylum. My refugee claim was accepted and now I have a refugee travel document. I really want to visit my friends in the US again but I am scared to apply for visa since I abused my first visa and left the country illegally.
I was wondering if there is anyone with the same experience as mine and applied for visa?

roycanada

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
Hello, when I was in the US with a visitor visa in 2019, I crossed the illegal border to Canada to seek asylum. My refugee claim was accepted and now I have a refugee travel document. I really want to visit my friends in the US again but I am scared to apply for visa since I abused my first visa and left the country illegally.
I was wondering if there is anyone with the same experience as mine and applied for visa?
hi, there is no harm to apply US visa with RTD, many ppl got visa even they came Canada same way like you.

good luck

Roy

Reactions: Zulubia