+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA-born baby travelling to Canada with Indian parents on a work visa

prasad sarma

Jan 29, 2024
Hello Everyone,
I am recently moved to Canada from the USA on a work visa (temporary residence) and currently applying for a visa for my family (they are in India currently: spouse [indian] and daughter [8-month-old [American passport]).
I am very much confused about the application process. Currently, my spouse is applying for the open-work-permit visa, and
(1) I got info from the internet that each member (even an 8-month-old) should have a separate IRCC account. Is this correct?
(2) While filling imm5257 for my spouse (on her GCKey account), we were confused about which one to select, either PRINCIPAL APPLICANT or THE SPOUSE, COMMON-LAW PARTNER OF THE PRINCIPAL APPLICANT. [we generated the checklist first as per all the info available]
(3) Since the child has a USA passport, does the child need any sort of visa if she is traveling with my spouse to Canada?
(4) If traveling is ok for the child without the visa, can we extend her stay in Canada after her arrival in Canada?
All comments are appreciated, please advise.
Best,
Prasad Sarma

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I am recently moved to Canada from the USA on a work visa (temporary residence) and currently applying for a visa for my family (they are in India currently: spouse [indian] and daughter [8-month-old [American passport]).
I am very much confused about the application process. Currently, my spouse is applying for the open-work-permit visa, and
(1) I got info from the internet that each member (even an 8-month-old) should have a separate IRCC account. Is this correct?
(2) While filling imm5257 for my spouse (on her GCKey account), we were confused about which one to select, either PRINCIPAL APPLICANT or THE SPOUSE, COMMON-LAW PARTNER OF THE PRINCIPAL APPLICANT. [we generated the checklist first as per all the info available]
(3) Since the child has a USA passport, does the child need any sort of visa if she is traveling with my spouse to Canada?
(4) If traveling is ok for the child without the visa, can we extend her stay in Canada after her arrival in Canada?
All comments are appreciated, please advise.
Best,
Prasad Sarma
If applying from your own account you would be principal applicant. You child can travel to Canada without a visa. You can ask at the border for expiry of visit length to coincide with with the expiry of your SOWP. If you forget to ask or are not given the longer visitor stay you can apply for an extension right before the 6 month expiration date. When applying for an extension you can also ask for it to coincide with the expiration of your WP. Ask for a visitor record when entering Canada no matter what.

prasad sarma

Jan 29, 2024
Thank you for the details. For my spouse/child, they don't need a separate IRCC account? This is what I understood from your reply. There are two ways I can apply (1) I can submit an application for my wife/child from my account. OR (2) Let them make an account on IRCC and then apply for a permit but submit my permit details as a supporting file.
Is this correct?
Once again, thanks for your advice. If you could clarify this also, it would be very helpful for us.
Thank you,
Best,
Prasad

If applying from your own account you would be principal applicant. You child can travel to Canada without a visa. You can ask at the border for expiry of visit length to coincide with with the expiry of your SOWP. If you forget to ask or are not given the longer visitor stay you can apply for an extension right before the 6 month expiration date. When applying for an extension you can also ask for it to coincide with the expiration of your WP. Ask for a visitor record when entering Canada no matter what.