+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US visa

samay23

Dec 6, 2014
I have a non cancelled Us visa in my passport. The visa was cancelled by employer after I left the states but there is no cancel stamp in the visa page in my passport. I cam to Canada from the US by car and never returned to the US.They requested me to bring a proof "letter" from the US government stating the date my visa was cancelled??? I don't know what to do about this!!!

Any one has similar experience? Any one has suggestion?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
1) who asked you for that letter from USG ?

2) and in what setting or circumstances where was this request made - - in a test interview or during CJ meeting ?

3) Also, what type of visa is this and has it not bypassed it "Expiration Date" ?

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
If you go to the US Embassy (after taking an appointment) they can stamp your visa as "Cancelled Without Prejudice". You can even try to go to the nearest border post (either at the airport or at a land crossing) and explain them the situation, they might be able to cancel the Visa for you.

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just curious if you visa is still valid or is it already expired?

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I had a non cancelled and expired Us visa in my passport and I was never told anything about it.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
ingegarcia,

maybe depends on type of visa ? What type of US visas did you have - which u said they didn't say anything about ?

Also, are you a citizen already or waitng and when did you have your interview ?

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
Probably you are right....
In my case I had an H1B visa expired in 2008 but I did have an unexpired B1/B2 USA visa .

BTW I took my citizenship oath today so yes I am a citizen already ;)

Best luck to all.

us2yow said:
ingegarcia,

maybe depends on type of visa ? What type of US visas did you have - which u said they didn't say anything about ?

Also, are you a citizen already or waitng and when did you have your interview ?

salil

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Hello Ingegarcia,

I have similar situation, got H1B Visa on my passport, thats expired. Also I got Tourist Visa after I moved to Canada. Now question is that should I get H1B Visa Cancelled before applying for citizenship .. ?

Not sure what is the process to do that. Please suggest.

Regards,
Salil

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samay23 said:
I have a non cancelled Us visa in my passport. The visa was cancelled by employer after I left the states but there is no cancel stamp in the visa page in my passport. I cam to Canada from the US by car and never returned to the US.They requested me to bring a proof "letter" from the US government stating the date my visa was cancelled??? I don't know what to do about this!!!

Any one has similar experience? Any one has suggestion?
Hello Ingegarcia,

I have similar situation, got H1B Visa on my passport, thats expired. Also I got Tourist Visa after I moved to Canada. Now question is that should I get H1B Visa Cancelled before applying for citizenship .. ?

Regards,
Salil
It is always good idea to get valid H1b visa cancelled at port of entry they stamp it "Cancelled " or "Cancelled without prejudice". Salil next time when you go to border ask them to stamp it on your visa.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
salil said:
Hello Ingegarcia,

Regards,
Salil
I did the same. When I got the B Visa they cancelled my H1B Visa. They usually cancel any past visa when issuing a new visa. This I have noticed also with my new H1B stamping. The cancel the old stamping.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I had a G4 visa in my passport that expired in 2010 but when I entered US on B1/B2 visa in 2013 the CBP officer sent me to the secondary inspection room where they canceled the expired G4 visa. I guess when I got my B1/B2 visa in 2011 or so the consular officer forgot to stamp 'canceled without prejudice'; after I got my B1/B2 visa in 2011 I went to US a few times and there was no problem.

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.