Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
SO LOST AND CONFUSED :'( Please forgive the multiple questions from this newvbie....I'm sure they've been answered before, so, if you reference me, I'll go find it!

I'm am a US citizen and have a visitor record for 6 mos -it ends 11/30/2012. (btw-I also have my Nexus card) My Canadian fiance and I married on 6/8/12. We live in SK.

1) Do I need our marriage cert before I contact CIC to let them know that I'm now married as a visitor?

~I'm planning on applying for an extension in October for another 6 months....but will this hurt my chances of being approved?
~I may be pregnant by November, so will that hinder/help my extension request?
~I don't have health insurance....any one know how to get any?
~I'm prohibited from working, so when can I apply for a work visa? Once I've got my approval # that my PR app has been rec'd?

2) I've sent off for the FBI clearance, but that can take up to 4 months to get back.

~Should we send in the Sponsorship paperwork now without the police report or medical report?

and

3) Do I have the medical exam before or after the application process?

~The checklist for the application says to send in the medical exam with the application, but it also says, "Medical Examination Instructions
Instructions on how to take the medical examination will normally be sent to you after you submit your application to the visa office."
~"Validity- You can only use your examination results in your application for 12 months from when you had the examination. If you are not admitted to Canada as a permanent resident within this time, you will be required to undergo another examination."

4) So with the inland process taking 11 mos for my husband's sponsorship paperwork to be completed and another 8 months for mine, it looks likely that my medical exam would have to be repeated?? Am I doing the math correctly?

We want to do the Inland process to hopefully save $, because a trip "home" to the States is over $500 each time.

We are so lost as what to do and WHEN!! I feel like I'm burning daylight here!!

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
YIKERS. No relpies? No help? Is this normal?

For how informative people are here, it's hard to believe that no one has time for someone in need of guidance from the beginning.

I tried to delete, sorry, but I'm not allowed. Which is silly-I should be able to delete my own posts, really!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
People are extremely helpful here but you have to give us a chance to reply. You have asked A LOT of questions - so this isn't exactly a quickie. We are obviously not being paid for our services, have jobs/lives that take priority over this forum and do not sit here 24/7 waiting to answer questions. If you want instant/detailed replies - I'd recommend you hire an immigration consultant or lawyer. Otherwise just sit tight, be patient and someone will get to your questions.

I'll answer a few now (I only have a few minutes):

- you should wait for your marriage cert and include this with the app
- it's OK to send the FBI later (preferable to do it with the app but doable later)
- the medical needs to be done before you submit the app
- the extension will not hurt your chances of being approved
- try blue cross for health insurance (note that no health insurance will cover the cost of pregnancy)
- if you applied inland, you can apply for a work permit once you have first stage approval (about 11 months after you submit the application), if you apply outland you will be able to work once your file has been 100% approved and you have landed in Canada as a new permanent resident

That's all the time I have right now.

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
I agree you posted and within 18 minutes you want an answer. Your list is huge and thinking time on all those subjects is 30 minutes- 1hour. Patience is a virtue, this a public forum where we all do our best to help each other and give advice. With a freaking list like yours, pose the questions and come back in a few hours because that is how long it will take!!!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Welcome :)

1. You don't need to let CIC or CBSA know you got married until - and if - you request a visitor's extension. That can be part of your rationale for asking for the extension.

2. Usually you aren't eligible for health care coverage until after you are a PR (or past step 1 for inland applications), but I'm not familiar with the SK specifics. Take a look at SK Health page for their specifics. There's also companies that offer health insurance for visitors ... and later for new PRs.

3. Being pregnant won't have an impact on your extension request.

4. It is best to send FBI background check and medical with your application upfront. If you would rather not wait, you can try submitting your application without them ... just be aware that they are starting to be stricter about this and have send applications back (few so far and inconsistently) when people do this.

5. Consider applying outland as a US citizen. It will be much faster. You don't need to travel to the US unless an interview is required (you can minimize the chances of having an interview required if you submit strong evidence of your relationship). While you can apply for a work permit which could be approved at the end of step 1 for inland applications, by the time they complete step 1 inland you'll have your PR already if you applied outland. It also means you can travel in/out of Canada if you decide you need/want to go to the US and that you keep appeal rights.

Also, take a look at the US outland applicant's thread - on the first page (posts 1, 5, and 6) there's some FAQs that may help you.

ETA: As I went to hit 'post' on this, I saw your second post. Please consider that it takes time to answer your questions - scylla and R151NG5UN gave you good advice on using the forum and forum etiquette. Also, take a look at the FAQs I mentioned above that I put together to try to help folks 'self-serve' a bit too - that way you don't need to 'wait' for us.

Tullysgirl said:
SO LOST AND CONFUSED :'( Please forgive the multiple questions from this newvbie....I'm sure they've been answered before, so, if you reference me, I'll go find it!

I'm am a US citizen and have a visitor record for 6 mos -it ends 11/30/2012. (btw-I also have my Nexus card) My Canadian fiance and I married on 6/8/12. We live in SK.

1) Do I need our marriage cert before I contact CIC to let them know that I'm now married as a visitor?

~I'm planning on applying for an extension in October for another 6 months....but will this hurt my chances of being approved?
~I'm prohibited from working, so when can I apply for a work visa? Once I've got my approval # that my PR app has been rec'd?

2) I've sent off for the FBI clearance, but that can take up to 4 months to get back.

~Should we send in the Sponsorship paperwork now without the police report or medical report?

and

~The checklist for the application says to send in the medical exam with the application, but it also says, "Medical Examination Instructions
Instructions on how to take the medical examination will normally be sent to you after you submit your application to the visa office."
~"Validity- You can only use your examination results in your application for 12 months from when you had the examination. If you are not admitted to Canada as a permanent resident within this time, you will be required to undergo another examination."

4) So with the inland process taking 11 mos for my husband's sponsorship paperwork to be completed and another 8 months for mine, it looks likely that my medical exam would have to be repeated?? Am I doing the math correctly?

We want to do the Inland process to hopefully save $, because a trip "home" to the States is over $500 each time.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
To reiterate what everyone said, cultivate the art of patience, in this process you are going to need it.

While you are waiting for the FBI certificate to come back, start gathering the other documentation/supports that you need. It isn't simply a matter of sending your marriage certificate and FBI report in! If you haven't already done so, read the guides with your spouse, get comfortable with the forms and start drafting your application. You'll want to do a draft copy to keep and a final copy for submission.

By the way, even if you are staying in Canada as a visitor, you don't have to apply Inland. Even if you don't plan on returning to the US, it still pays to go through the US office(s) because you could have your PR in about the same amount of time it takes you to get first stage approval and an open work permit via CPC-Vegreville. Not to mention that you retain your right of appeal, which although rarely used/needed by Americans, is still an important right.

Azsereth

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
20-06-2011
Tullysgirl said:

and

For health insurance, you'll want to look for travel insurance for visitors to Canada. I've used both Blue Cross Canada (which I do not recommend) and Manulife (which I currently have...have heard better things about them, but haven't filed a claim so I can't verify that). I'm sure others can suggest other travel insurance providers. I don't know whether any of them will provide any coverage for pre-natal care or delivery.

I have read different things regarding sending medicals and background check with the application...some people say it can cause significant delays to wait until they ask for them, and some others say to wait. The document checklist asks for everything at once, so that's how my husband and I did it.

Also, you may want to read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob423.asp

I will need to re-read it myself to make sure I understand it correctly, but I think if a medical exam has been performed within the last 15 months and if the only barrier to issuing a decision is the medical exam, an immigration agent can ask for an extension for the validity.

You can apply for an open work permit after you get first stage approval (AIP after about 11 months). Also, after you get AIP, you can apply for health care, which would be effective after a 3 month waiting period. (Edit: Someone would have to confirm that this applies to SK...it's true for some, not sure if it's true for all)

Also, you do have the option of using the outland application process. It is faster and it can be done from inside Canada, and has the right of appeal. In that case, everything about AIP and open work permits doesn't apply.

I don't think that pregnancy would affect the extension of your visitor status (I don't know if they even ask?). I do not know how a marriage certificate/intent to apply for permanent residency affects applying for an extension of visitor status by mail, but I've heard of people getting up to 2 years visitor status (I believe they were inland applicants). I was granted visitor status for one year, and then an additional year when I renewed it at the border.

Also, I must be really slow at replying because there have been 4 other replies since I started writing this...if I'm repetitive, forgive me :)

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
Tullysgirl said:

Here's something to get you started:
3 & 4) Send Medical documents along with the application. Though the validity is 12 months, a new change allows the visa officer to extend it upto another 12 months (except where they feel additional medicals would be required). Normally, they should extend the medicals if your fine and healthy. More info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob423.asp

More people on this forum advise an 'outland' application as it is always faster. Just because you are in Canada, does not necessarily mean you have to do an 'inland' application. You may or may not have to make a trip 'home' if you are doing an 'outland' application. A trip would be necessary only if there is an interview. If your papers are in order, that should be unlikely.

Other questions:
~I'm planning on applying for an extension in October for another 6 months....but will this hurt my chances of being approved?:
Its normal for people to apply for extension and wait out the processing time in Canada. That should not affect your chances of approval. However, ensure that you apply for extension atleast a month or 2 before your visa expires. I think its done online: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

~ expecting a baby would also have no bearing on your application process.
~ work visa: try getting an Open Work Permit. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp I believe there is an option where a spouse can work while the application is being processed (or at a certain stage of the application).

Finally, "YIKERS. No relpies? No help? Is this normal?"
Patience - lots of it - You'd require when it comes to CIC. But, it would ultimately turn out just fine. :)

All the best!

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
My apologies to everyone. I honestly posted this yesterday and didn't see any responses, so I modified it this morning...and it looks like a new post. It isn't.

Understand it's a huge list....and sincerely appreciate any and all responses for help! I'd hug you all if I could!

And I know patience is not only needed, but a virtue.

Sincerest apologies. Just totally frustrated.

Now, I'll go read the wisdom from everyone and thank God again you're all here for us "Lost in translation"!

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
scylla said:
People are extremely helpful here but you have to give us a chance to reply. You have asked A LOT of questions - so this isn't exactly a quickie. We are obviously not being paid for our services, have jobs/lives that take priority over this forum and do not sit here 24/7 waiting to answer questions. If you want instant/detailed replies - I'd recommend you hire an immigration consultant or lawyer. Otherwise just sit tight, be patient and someone will get to your questions.

- you should wait for your marriage cert and include this with the app
- it's OK to send the FBI later (preferable to do it with the app but doable later)
- the medical needs to be done before you submit the app
- the extension will not hurt your chances of being approved
- try blue cross for health insurance (note that no health insurance will cover the cost of pregnancy)
- if you applied inland, you can apply for a work permit once you have first stage approval (about 11 months after you submit the application), if you apply outland you will be able to work once your file has been 100% approved and you have landed in Canada as a new permanent resident

That's all the time I have right now.
THANK YOU for your time and wisdom!

R151NG5UN said:
I agree you posted and within 18 minutes you want an answer. Your list is huge and thinking time on all those subjects is 30 minutes- 1hour. Patience is a virtue, this a public forum where we all do our best to help each other and give advice. With a freaking list like yours, pose the questions and come back in a few hours because that is how long it will take!!!
Sorry to have frustrated & irritated you R151NG5UN so early in the morning. LOL You sure told me!
And thank you ALL for the reminder in patience.

OhCanadiana said:
Welcome :)

1. You don't need to let CIC or CBSA know you got married until - and if - you request a visitor's extension. That can be part of your rationale for asking for the extension.

2. Usually you aren't eligible for health care coverage until after you are a PR (or past step 1 for inland applications), but I'm not familiar with the SK specifics. Take a look at SK Health page for their specifics. There's also companies that offer health insurance for visitors ... and later for new PRs.

3. Being pregnant won't have an impact on your extension request.

4. It is best to send FBI background check and medical with your application upfront. If you would rather not wait, you can try submitting your application without them ... just be aware that they are starting to be stricter about this and have send applications back (few so far and inconsistently) when people do this.

5. Consider applying outland as a US citizen. It will be much faster. You don't need to travel to the US unless an interview is required (you can minimize the chances of having an interview required if you submit strong evidence of your relationship). While you can apply for a work permit which could be approved at the end of step 1 for inland applications, by the time they complete step 1 inland you'll have your PR already if you applied outland. It also means you can travel in/out of Canada if you decide you need/want to go to the US and that you keep appeal rights.

Also, take a look at the US outland applicant's thread - on the first page (posts 1, 5, and 6) there's some FAQs that may help you.

ETA:please consider that it takes time to answer your questions - scylla and R151NG5UN gave you good advice on using the forum and forum etiquette. Also, take a look at the FAQs I mentioned above that I put together to try to help folks 'self-serve' a bit too - that way you don't need to 'wait' for us.
INCREDIBLY helpful info OhCanadiana! Thanks!

CharlieD10 said:
To reiterate what everyone said, cultivate the art of patience, in this process you are going to need it.

While you are waiting for the FBI certificate to come back, start gathering the other documentation/supports that you need. .. If you haven't already done so, read the guides with your spouse, get comfortable with the forms and start drafting your application. You'll want to do a draft copy to keep and a final copy for submission.
Great info-I LOVE to multi-task, so this is so do-able! Thanks CharlieD10!

Azsereth said:
For health insurance, you'll want to look for travel insurance for visitors to Canada. I've used both Blue Cross Canada (which I do not recommend) and Manulife (which I currently have...have heard better things about them, but haven't filed a claim so I can't verify that). I'm sure others can suggest other travel insurance providers. I don't know whether any of them will provide any coverage for pre-natal care or delivery.

I have read different things regarding sending medicals and background check with the application...some people say it can cause significant delays to wait until they ask for them, and some others say to wait. The document checklist asks for everything at once, so that's how my husband and I did it.
Also, you do have the option of using the outland application process. It is faster and it can be done from inside Canada, and has the right of appeal. In that case, everything about AIP and open work permits doesn't apply.

I don't think that pregnancy would affect the extension of your visitor status (I don't know if they even ask?). I do not know how a marriage certificate/intent to apply for permanent residency affects applying for an extension of visitor status by mail, but I've heard of people getting up to 2 years visitor status (I believe they were inland applicants). I was granted visitor status for one year, and then an additional year when I renewed it at the border.

Also, I must be really slow at replying because there have been 4 other replies since I started writing this...if I'm repetitive, forgive me :)
Azsereth-thank you for the great info on health ins!

sakamath said:
Here's something to get you started:
3 & 4) Send Medical documents along with the application. Though the validity is 12 months, a new change allows the visa officer to extend it upto another 12 months (except where they feel additional medicals would be required). Normally, they should extend the medicals if your fine and healthy.
More people on this forum advise an 'outland' application as it is always faster. Just because you are in Canada, does not necessarily mean you have to do an 'inland' application. You may or may not have to make a trip 'home' if you are doing an 'outland' application. A trip would be necessary only if there is an interview. If your papers are in order, that should be unlikely.

Patience - lots of it - You'd require when it comes to CIC. But, it would ultimately turn out just fine. :)
THANK YOU for the encouragement!!