+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Police Clearance: FBI Processing Times

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Decoy24601 said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they check criminality before they start actually looking at the applicant's file and assessing whether or not the relationship is genuine. I think it means you might be getting close, but I could be wrong.
Ok...I will, at least regarding Inland applicants :)

The relationship is checked in the first stage. Once the sponsor has been approved, the applicant's relationship with his/her is verified. Once it has been approved, it means that the applicant now qualifies to apply for PR (even though s/he already has) and they receive their AIP (Approval in Principle).

The medical, criminality, security and background checks are all part of stage 2, which happens after AIP.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Ponga said:
Ok...I will. :)

The relationship is checked in the first stage. Once the sponsor has been approved, the applicant's relationship with his/her is verified. Once it has been approved, it means that the applicant now qualifies to apply for PR (even though s/he already has) and they receive their AIP (Approval in Principle).

The medical, criminality, security and background checks are all part of stage 2, which happens after AIP.
Thank you :D. I got the order mixed up. I thought that might have been the case.

Oscar.95

Dec 26, 2015
Decoy24601 said:
Hopefully. They received mine on October 16th. They could be processing any week now. One way to tell is if you paid with credit card you can looked to see if it's been charged, but so far at least mine hasn't.
Ah man! You're close !! I hope you get it soon !

As for the CC payment, I was paranoid in losing that thing in the mail that I just decided to pay it with a Money Order so I guess ill be clueless until I get it or until I call them....

Oscar.95

Dec 26, 2015
Ponga said:
Ok...I will, at least regarding Inland applicants :)

Interesting !

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
It's been a little over 14 weeks now... I'm starting to get worried that something happened with my application.

Has anyone who submitted their FBI check request around October 16th received there's yet?

akumar1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2016
Doc's Request.
27-04-2016
AOR Received.
06-04-2016
File Transfer...
21-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-11-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2016
LANDED..........
20-7-2016
Decoy24601 said:
It's been a little over 14 weeks now... I'm starting to get worried that something happened with my application.

Has anyone who submitted their FBI check request around October 16th received there's yet?
I called FBI customer care today around 2pm EST and the rep. informed me that they are currently working on the cases as of 6th Oct.
So I guess few more days to go.
Mine was submitted on 22nd Oct. 2015.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
akumar1 said:
I called FBI customer care today around 2pm EST and the rep. informed me that they are currently working on the cases as of 6th Oct.
So I guess few more days to go.
Mine was submitted on 22nd Oct. 2015.
Well, at least it moved up. Thank you for the update. I'm hoping to submit my PR application in a couple weeks, so it'd be really nice if I could send it off with the FBI check without postponing when I send it.

sikhan

Sep 24, 2014
We (my wife and I) sent out requests from Bangladesh on Sep 29. FBI received the requests on Oct 2. My background check results reached my relative's New York address (I used a US address as I didn't rely on my country's govt. postal services) on Feb 2. However, my wife's results didn't reach until today (Feb 4). I was expecting them to dispatch the results together as we sent out the requests in the same envelope, but I assume it's their practice to give out each result separately. Anyway, we are happy that the wait is finally over, and the mails reached safely! :D ;D :p

Oscar.95

Dec 26, 2015
Just got off the phone with FBI customer care and they are processing October 14... They're moving along guys, hang in there !
Also I asked if we could send another card with fingerprints to be safe just in case the first one is unreadable and it won't interfere with the first one sent ! So for all of us who are paranoid you can resend them with no problem !

Also question ... I only sent one sheet with my fingerprints ... Did anyone else just send only one ? :-[
Or should I sent one or two more this time I resend just in case ? Has anyone gotten them back with just one card ?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Oscar.95 said:
Just got off the phone with FBI customer care and they are processing October 14... They're moving along guys, hang in there !
Also I asked if we could send another card with fingerprints to be safe just in case the first one is unreadable and it won't interfere with the first one sent ! So for all of us who are paranoid you can resend them with no problem !

Also question ... I only sent one sheet with my fingerprints ... Did anyone else just send only one ? :-[
Or should I sent one or two more this time I resend just in case ? Has anyone gotten them back with just one card ?
Only a few days left for mine hopefully!

I sent two. I lived in a border town when I got my prints done, so they have people come in for prints fairly often and they recommended that I get two sheets, so I did. I was tempted to do more, but that seemed excessive. Only one sheet should be fine, especially if the person who took your prints knew what they were doing. The lady who did mine was very meticulous about my prints since my prints are fairly faint due to working with detergents/sanitizers a lot at my former jobs and she redid several of my prints if she had the slightest doubt that they couldn't be read. I wouldn't worry too much, especially if it was easy for them to take your prints.

Also, I'm having mine sent to us in Canada, and international snail mail takes forever, so I likely won't be receiving my check for at least a couple weeks after they send it to me.

Teshana

Feb 4, 2016
Here goes my timeline. FBI received my fingerprint Oct 14th 2015. Today February 4th 2016 my cc card was charge.

sikhan

Sep 24, 2014
When I sent my fingerprint cards, I sent three copies with two retabs (highest number of retabs you can use per page) on each page. I would recommend you send more than one card for back-up purposes. As my background check results came out successfully I assume it was a right decision!

Oscar.95 said:

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
sikhan said:
When I sent my fingerprint cards, I sent three copies with two retabs (highest number of retabs you can use per page) on each page. I would recommend you send more than one card for back-up purposes. As my background check results came out successfully I assume it was a right decision!
Are retabs those small pieces of paper that they use to retake a print? I think the person who did my fingerprints did over 2 retabs on at least one of my cards... I hope everything goes fine with that.

CADparity

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Decoy24601 said:
Are retabs those small pieces of paper that they use to retake a print? I think the person who did my fingerprints did over 2 retabs on at least one of my cards... I hope everything goes fine with that.
The maximum is 2 retabs per fingerprint block, not per page. You can have retabs for all your 10 fingerprints as long as there are no more than 2 per single block.

From FBI's website:

When using the ink and paper method and a rolled impression is not acceptable, you may use an adhesive retab to cover the fingerprint in its space. (Only two retabs can be applied to each fingerprint block.)

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/recording-legible-fingerprints

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
CADparity said:
The maximum is 2 retabs per fingerprint block, not per page. You can have retabs for all your 10 fingerprints as long as there are no more than 2 per single block.

From FBI's website:

When using the ink and paper method and a rolled impression is not acceptable, you may use an adhesive retab to cover the fingerprint in its space. (Only two retabs can be applied to each fingerprint block.)

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/recording-legible-fingerprints
Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.