Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
We didn't have any of our letters notarized, either. I notice that some people using the new kits seem to be getting letters notarized and I'm wondering if this is specified or they're just playing it safe. We used the old kit and I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere.

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
CanadianZenGirl said:
We didn't have any of our letters notarized, either. I notice that some people using the new kits seem to be getting letters notarized and I'm wondering if this is specified or they're just playing it safe. We used the old kit and I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere.
I used the old kit as well and didn't even bother with letters from anyone. We had no family at our wedding and my family didn't meet him until after the application was sent in. I think they are playing it safe with notarizing them.

bramb600

Mar 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-05-2017
AOR Received.
25-05-2017
File Transfer...
28-06-2017
Med's Request
01/09/2017
So I have been getting ready a package for Inland Canada sponsorship. My wife is coming to Canada next week and we decided to get the OWR while we wait for the PR status. But now I'm starting to think from everyone's posts that I should do Outland instead? Can I still list her address as the Canadian address (while picking the 3rd option on the checklist "Living in Canada, Family Class")? Will living in Canada under valid temporary status under that class be overall better than waiting on an OWR?

It's definitely too late to stop her from coming here and if I'm going to change to Outland, I hope it's not that much more work after my focus on Inland for the past few months.

bramb600

Mar 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-05-2017
AOR Received.
25-05-2017
File Transfer...
28-06-2017
Med's Request
01/09/2017
bramb600 said:
So I have been getting ready a package for Inland Canada sponsorship. My wife is coming to Canada next week and we decided to get the OWR while we wait for the PR status. But now I'm starting to think from everyone's posts that I should do Outland instead? Can I still list her address as the Canadian address (while picking the 3rd option on the checklist "Living in Canada, Family Class")? Will living in Canada under valid temporary status under that class be overall better than waiting on an OWR?

It's definitely too late to stop her from coming here and if I'm going to change to Outland, I hope it's not that much more work after my focus on Inland for the past few months.
She lives in the United States currently (for another 6 days)

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
bramb600 said:

If she's coming up as a visitor and plans to stay with you just apply Inland, Outland is faster if she is able to live in the USA and commute - you should have 4-6 months total processing time to PR status as a US spouse. I filed in January and already landed as a PR via Outland, was able to visit as often as I'd like and commute and work in the US still during that time. Granted this wait varies depending on each person background, history, application, etc. For your situation, though, I would wait until she comes up as a visitor and lives with you then apply inland. Keep in mind she can't leave Canada until the process is done, even after her OWP is granted (4 months wait for open work permit) - and the wait time until she gets her PR status is a lot longer (or at least it used to be).

bramb600

Mar 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-05-2017
AOR Received.
25-05-2017
File Transfer...
28-06-2017
Med's Request
01/09/2017
barch88 said:
If she's coming up as a visitor and plans to stay with you just apply Inland, Outland is faster if she is able to live in the USA and commute - you should have 4-6 months total processing time to PR status as a US spouse. I filed in January and already landed as a PR via Outland, was able to visit as often as I'd like and commute and work in the US still during that time. Granted this wait varies depending on each person background, history, application, etc. For your situation, though, I would wait until she comes up as a visitor and lives with you then apply inland. Keep in mind she can't leave Canada until the process is done, even after her OWP is granted (4 months wait for open work permit) - and the wait time until she gets her PR status is a lot longer (or at least it used to be).
From what I'm reading there is no requirement to commute, and if she has 6 months here there is a good chance a Pr card can be fully processed. So why does waiting 4 months for an OWP make more sense then a potential 4 months for the whole thing. From the info I'm processing, she is allowed to be living here as a visitor.

BrookeTravels

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
30-11-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront - Passed
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM 3-3-17!
BrookeTravels said:
Thank you! I'll be sure to email asap. :)
Hey guys! Great news as a follow up - I emailed them last week about not receiving my PPR for 3 weeks after getting my confirmation email, and they emailed me yesterday (their error), and I now have my PPR!

I'm elated!

Sincere thanks and hugs to all who have been here for me this last year and a half. I hope I can be here for those who need help into the future :)

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
bramb600 said:
From what I'm reading there is no requirement to commute, and if she has 6 months here there is a good chance a Pr card can be fully processed. So why does waiting 4 months for an OWP make more sense then a potential 4 months for the whole thing. From the info I'm processing, she is allowed to be living here as a visitor.
If outland is easier apply outland. she can't live with you as a visitor and still apply outland though

BrookeTravels

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
30-11-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront - Passed
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM 3-3-17!
barch88 said:
If outland is easier apply outland. she can't live with you as a visitor and still apply outland though
I actually did this without issue for the last year. OP, feel free to message me. :)

I was in Canada the entire time with an extended visitors visa. Used my Canadian address with my wife on all my application papers.

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
barch88 said:
This is not correct. You can stay with your spouse in Canada as a visitor and still apply outland via your home country. This is, by far, the best way to do it if you do not care about the work permit.

KateChurchill

Jul 17, 2016
Is the date I established residence considered the same as my landing date/day I became a PR? The reason I ask is that I see on the OHIP rules that I must be in ON 153 of the 1st 183 days immediately following the date I established residence. I landed, became a PR on Oct 31, 2016 and I have remained in ON since with the exception of 1 overnight (33 hours to be exact) in the USA. I'm not sure if that overnight trip is counted by the government as 1 or 2 days outside Canada. I am leaving for a 32 day USA stay April 5. If I'm figuring my days up correctly, I should have met the 153 day requirement on April 3 or 4. I don't want to do anything to lose or mess up my OHIP coverage.
Thanks for your feedback!

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
bramb600 said:
You're correct. The only reason I could see Inland as being a better option is if you want to make sure she gets the OWP within 4 months, or if your application is complex and will likely take longer than the typical 4-6 months.

viva-c said:
This is not correct. You can stay with your spouse in Canada as a visitor and still apply outland via your home country. This is, by far, the best way to do it if you do not care about the work permit.
I agree, you should apply Outland. It'll be a much smoother and quicker process.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
barch88 said:
this is completely incorrect. there is even an option for this WRITTEN ON THE APPLICATION.

there is NO reason at all for us citizens to apply inland. outland applicants are approved in 6 months or less. as others have said, there is absolutely NOTHiNG wrong with an outland applicant being IN Canada as a visitor, worker or student. Outland has NOTHING to do with where the applicant is physically.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
KateChurchill said:
Is the date I established residence considered the same as my landing date/day I became a PR? The reason I ask is that I see on the OHIP rules that I must be in ON 153 of the 1st 183 days immediately following the date I established residence. I landed, became a PR on Oct 31, 2016 and I have remained in ON since with the exception of 1 overnight (33 hours to be exact) in the USA. I'm not sure if that overnight trip is counted by the government as 1 or 2 days outside Canada. I am leaving for a 32 day USA stay April 5. If I'm figuring my days up correctly, I should have met the 153 day requirement on April 3 or 4. I don't want to do anything to lose or mess up my OHIP coverage.
Thanks for your feedback!
a short trip doesn't mean you aren't maintaining residence in Ontario. if you plan to change your permanent address or live/work somewhere outside of ontario and not return for a significant amount of time, THAT means you're not a resident. Traveling for a trip or work does not mean you're not a resident, assuming you are maintaining a home in ontario while you're away.

Also, you seem to be reading too far into this. They don't ask for how many days you've been in ontario when you apply. They ask for proof of your status (your COPR) and proof of your ontario address (ontario license or utility bills/bank statements that were physically mailed to you in ontario). you don't need to wait to apply for OHIP. you can apply anytime after you gather all your eligibility proofs. You just won't receive your card until AFTER the 90 day wait period.

bramb600

Mar 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-05-2017
AOR Received.
25-05-2017
File Transfer...
28-06-2017
Med's Request
01/09/2017
Another question with my American wife's impending Outland application while she's living with me here. Is it recommended to do the medical upfront with the application package? They say that they might make you do it again, but reading the bios on this forum show me that the vast majority do it upfront and have no issues.