15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
yeah - lying to CBSA - not something you want to be doing.

here's the thing - you are now married and have a pr application submitted. it is a completely different ball game now. they do NOT like cross-border couples who are dating. That is considered a huge red flag. being married - not so much, because it is assumed you know the rules and are taking the proper steps to live together. in my experience, they are friendlier to married couples. i get it though, if you can stay away, stay away.
Not necessarily. I've been questioned (although not in secondary) several times when crossing the border both when we were dating and even now being married. Whether you're married or not, they're concerned about you breaking the rules.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Joyce_tosf said:
Not necessarily. I've been questioned (although not in secondary) several times when crossing the border both when we were dating and even now being married. Whether you're married or not, they're concerned about you breaking the rules.
they question everyone at primary about their relationship, that is part of procedure. i'm more referring to being pulled into secondary and having to prove yourself to them. in my experience, they are much friendlier in secondary when you're married.

Stevin

Feb 18, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
23/01/2017 Sent: 24/01/2017 via Xpress Post
skyzee said:
Thanks. I guess the biggest difference is that at least there's no way they can deny a PR entry into Canada even if they do take you into questioning, but of course that's an experience we'd both rather avoid.

In a nutshell, my wife and I (girlfriend at the time) got caught in a lie because we had to prove her ties back to USA, but the thing is, she had pretty much packed her bags, got rid of her place back in the US, quit her job, and relocated to Canada on the basis that we'd first try things out for a few months here in Vancouver before she'd eventually settle in Seattle.

We were paranoid the CBSA would deny entry to her if we said anything other than that she was just visiting me in Canada, and ironically enough, they called us on our bluff and gave us hell because they suspected she was moving to Canada given that we were picking up some stuff that she had shipped just past the border. After a few hours of questioning, they eventually denied us entry and demanded a letter of employment / mortgage letter (since we had fibbed and said that she had residence back home) before they'd allow us to enter.

At this point it was a complete nightmare because she had all her stuff at my house, including her car and our dog, and we had to rent a dingy hotel to sort out what we were going to do the next day. We ended up returning to the border, trying to extend on the lie by providing some random documents, but CBSA caught us on that too and gave us even bigger hell the next day. You know what's funny is that actually, we did go to a different border after getting denied admission into Canada that first night and they also questioned us thoroughly on that as well.

Anyways, that next day, we ended up getting questioned for over 7 hours at the border, eventually breaking us down to the point where we came clean with the real story, and at which point the officer in charge decided to have mercy and issue a visitor record for her. Recognizing that it could have turned out VERY differently in that she could have been issued an exclusion order instead even after telling the truth, we decided we'd rather just stay in Canada and try the sponsorship route since we had been planning on getting married anyways, but needless to say, even a niggling thought of even going near the CBSA is extremely unappealing!

I do agree with you - you're at the complete mercy of whichever officer gets you at the CBSA . I'm convinced that had the situation been in the hands of our first officer, we probably would have gotten the exclusion order rather than the visitor record. He was extremely harsh and seemed like he was on a mission to deny us the first night. The second officer the next day was more confused about why we had been denied entry in the first place, but was cheerful up until he suspected and correctly deduced that we were lying, then gave the big brother speech at the end of the ordeal after we came clean.
I am sorry to hear that you had trouble. We've always had pleasant encounters at CBSA. We came back from Jamaica in September, were referred to secondary (as per the usual) and I had all my partners papers (copy of PR application as we have not been granted PR as of yet) and we def had all our ducks in a row. We answered all questions honestly with nothing to hide. The CBSA officer at that time actually took the time to print a new visitor record for my partner that extended him for another year. We are not married. And the officer was soooo super nice. Even sympathised with us regarding the time it takes to process a PR application.

Also was referred to secondary in May when we came back from NYC. Again, in secondary, the officer was very pleasant. We had not applied for PR at that time, but had his visitor visa and Visitor visa approval letter. She asked us a few questions, again we answered truthfully. She too had us on our way in about 5-10 minutes.

Hopefully the next time we cross the border (April 2017) we will have PR status.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
we def had all our ducks in a row. We answered all questions honestly with nothing to hide.
And that is why you had a good experience. Our terrible experience (while not as bad as some on here) occurred because my husband was 2 weeks out of status. Also, age has a lot to do with it, you are gonna be scrutinized more if you are young and poor.

He was red flagged from his original crossing, the only time we didn't have to go to secondary was when he had a visitor record. Haven't crossed since he got his PR so will find out eventually.

Someone on here said they still go to secondary even with PR, I find that hard to believe unless there is something else going on. Guess we will see.

skyzee seems to have broke the main rules for Americans, shipping stuff over the border doesn't work as they have a record of that, and of course, lying about it.

My husband's told CBSA that he is living in Canada (before we knew that was a bad thing) and they didn't have a problem with it, but that was when he had a valid visitor record and/or medical as proof of PR application forthcoming. Looking back, wow we had no idea what we were doing. I did know enough not to take loads of stuff over the border though.

Stevin

Feb 18, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
Aquakitty said:
And that is why you had a good experience. Our terrible experience (while not as bad as some on here) occurred because my husband was 2 weeks out of status. Also, age has a lot to do with it, you are gonna be scrutinized more if you are young and poor.

He was red flagged from his original crossing, the only time we didn't have to go to secondary was when he had a visitor record. Haven't crossed since he got his PR so will find out eventually.

Someone on here said they still go to secondary even with PR, I find that hard to believe unless there is something else going on. Guess we will see.

skyzee seems to have broke the main rules for Americans, shipping stuff over the border doesn't work as they have a record of that, and of course, lying about it.

My husband's told CBSA that he is living in Canada (before we knew that was a bad thing) and they didn't have a problem with it, but that was when he had a valid visitor record and/or medical as proof of PR application forthcoming. Looking back, wow we had no idea what we were doing. I did know enough not to take loads of stuff over the border though.
Same here Aquakitty. We def did not take any questionable amounts of stuff. Having all documentation with you always helps, and they are experts when it comes to detecting deceitfulness. If you have nothing to hide - just tell it like it is - that is my advice. We are by no means 'well off' but my partner is of the 'older' demographic. They did question how he is supporting himself, and was able to prove that he sold his house in the US, and is able to live on the residuals of that for the time being. I think that alone alleviated any suspicion of him working illegally.

skyzee

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Vancouver, B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2017
Med's Done....
11-10-2016
Interview........
BGC-In Progress: 22-02-2017, DM: 06-04-2017
Passport Req..
11-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-24-2017
I'm convinced we just had a crabby border guard. There was no mass amounts of stuff in that trip we got denied. There was a framed photo and a snowboard/winter gear which set off red alerts in this guy's eyes and he wouldn't let it go. My wife shipped her car with her old license plate over with even more stuff (from a far far far away state) on a different day before that and drove it past border, which is much more suspicious in my opinion, and she was let through with little troubles. Coincidentally that's what got us over-confident that the second and much smaller batch of stuff wouldn't be a cause for concern.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that if you play with fire, you're going to get burned. If we do somehow have to end up going back before PR (VERY doubtful), will definitely be getting all the documentation lined up.

Stevin

Feb 18, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
skyzee said:
I'm convinced we just had a crabby border guard. There was no mass amounts of stuff in that trip we got denied. There was a framed photo and a snowboard/winter gear which set off red alerts in this guy's eyes and he wouldn't let it go. My wife shipped her car with her old license plate over with even more stuff (from a far far far away state) on a different day before that and drove it past border, which is much more suspicious in my opinion, and she was let through with little troubles. Coincidentally that's what got us over-confident that the second and much smaller batch of stuff wouldn't be a cause for concern.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that if you play with fire, you're going to get burned. If we do somehow have to end up going back before PR (VERY doubtful), will definitely be getting all the documentation lined up.
I do agree with you, it all depends on the CBSA officer, and the kind of day they are having. Shame to hear you had such trouble. I hope for an easy, breezy PR process for you so you can come and go as you please! Cheers

skyzee

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Vancouver, B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2017
Med's Done....
11-10-2016
Interview........
BGC-In Progress: 22-02-2017, DM: 06-04-2017
Passport Req..
11-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-24-2017
Stevin said:
I do agree with you, it all depends on the CBSA officer, and the kind of day they are having. Shame to hear you had such trouble. I hope for an easy, breezy PR process for you so you can come and go as you please! Cheers
Thanks, and for sharing your story too :) You were definitely better prepared than us.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
skyzee said:
Thanks, and for sharing your story too :) You were definitely better prepared than us.
7 hours is brutal, I bet you had PTSD from that! Glad it worked out for you in the end though.

I literally couldn't sleep and got panic attacks from thinking about border crossing :p

I have no idea how they weren't suspicious of me when I was literally having a full-blown panic attack while talking to the officer. I had to hold my hands to stop the shaking.

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
CDNPR2014 said:
yeah - lying to CBSA - not something you want to be doing.

here's the thing - you are now married and have a pr application submitted. it is a completely different ball game now. they do NOT like cross-border couples who are dating. That is considered a huge red flag. being married - not so much, because it is assumed you know the rules and are taking the proper steps to live together. in my experience, they are friendlier to married couples. i get it though, if you can stay away, stay away.
I agree with you on the lying to a CBSA...not a smart thing to do and you are very lucky...

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
skyzee said:

We are the ones that have been pulled into secondary EVERY TIME!..we were told, this last times, there was a red flap for a denied work permit from 2014 and that the flag was going to be on for 10 years...even with the PR we had to carry in the glove compartment a copy of the Rehab letter to show the first agent...We went down in Nov of this year after the Border agents in the summer had requested the Red flag be lifted and for the first time since 2009 we did not have to go into secondary...when we drove away from the booth we both looked at each other and said I guess its been lifted and laughed!!!...Do we think its going to be as smooth the next time, we not holding our breathe...I do know one thing we have never lied at the border, we have way to much, time and money into this process to toss it away so that things are easier...

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
Hey Fellow American/Canadians! My wife is about to sponsor me and I'm moving from WA to BC. We have all forms filled out, I believe I finally figured out how it's all organized. Just had some concerns as far as "proof" goes. We are filing the new forms...

The form clearly asks for 3 pieces of items proving our relationship, such as: Shared Leases/Property, Showing shared bills, etc.. We don't have any bills or property shared since I live across the US border and visit on a weekly basis, or multiple times per week basis. I can provide proof showing her as my beneficiary on my retirement account. I can provide pictures from not only our wedding and family members in the pictures, but also throughout the years (Where it's clear I've lost weight, we look different, etc). I can provide some social media stuff. We also have Christmas cards, wedding cards, birthday cards, as evidence, on top of that we have passport stamps showing when we visited each other early on in our relationship (2012), I found 1 boarding pass which shows when I visited from Detroit to Kelowna, BC very early on, etc. I'm even including a notarized letter from my parents and a close friend who can say our relationship is true and valid. Of course our marriage certificate.

Will this suffice for a US/Canadian relationship? I also wrote up a big thing explaining how we met, when we met, dates of events we attended when we first met, explained how I cross the border and am a NEXUS pass holder and they can see my border crossing records to visit her often, not sure if they would do this but they can. It would clearly prove our relationship and match with what our story is.

Stevin

Feb 18, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
barch88 said:
Hey Fellow American/Canadians! My wife is about to sponsor me and I'm moving from WA to BC. We have all forms filled out, I believe I finally figured out how it's all organized. Just had some concerns as far as "proof" goes. We are filing the new forms...

The form clearly asks for 3 pieces of items proving our relationship, such as: Shared Leases/Property, Showing shared bills, etc.. We don't have any bills or property shared since I live across the US border and visit on a weekly basis, or multiple times per week basis. I can provide proof showing her as my beneficiary on my retirement account. I can provide pictures from not only our wedding and family members in the pictures, but also throughout the years (Where it's clear I've lost weight, we look different, etc). I can provide some social media stuff. We also have Christmas cards, wedding cards, birthday cards, as evidence, on top of that we have passport stamps showing when we visited each other early on in our relationship (2012), I found 1 boarding pass which shows when I visited from Detroit to Kelowna, BC very early on, etc. I'm even including a notarized letter from my parents and a close friend who can say our relationship is true and valid. Of course our marriage certificate.

Will this suffice for a US/Canadian relationship? I also wrote up a big thing explaining how we met, when we met, dates of events we attended when we first met, explained how I cross the border and am a NEXUS pass holder and they can see my border crossing records to visit her often, not sure if they would do this but they can. It would clearly prove our relationship and match with what our story is.
Personally, I think that's sufficient. Keep in mind I'm no CBSA officer. I included much of the same; beneficiary proof on work benefits, pics of us on vacation togaether, boarding passes documenting my visits to him. He lived in Boston, I live in Canada. We did have bills and such together since he arrived here last Aug. but I must ask, are you married? The stipulation is, if you are not married to have cohabitated for 1 yr.

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
Stevin said:
Personally, I think that's sufficient. Keep in mind I'm no CBSA officer. I included much of the same; beneficiary proof on work benefits, pics of us on vacation togaether, boarding passes documenting my visits to him. He lived in Boston, I live in Canada. We did have bills and such together since he arrived here last Aug. but I must ask, are you married? The stipulation is, if you are not married to have cohabitated for 1 yr.

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Yes we're married.

Stevin

Feb 18, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
barch88 said:
Yes we're married.
Oh, well in that case - you're good. I am not married to my partener which is why I provided an abundance of documentation. Don't sweat it, sound like you have ample proof. Just an opinion though. Good luck, wishing you a speedy PR process.