Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hmks said:
Hello everyone,

A couple of questions. I'm waiting for my last background check from Japan but my application is in Ottawa. I believe everything else is complete and we've paid the final fees. We're planning to move sometime between February and May depending on when we find a house in Canada. My questions are these:

1) Is it possible to get at SIN once I have my papers but before we cross the border into Canada? We are planning to buy a home before we move and if I don't have a SIN only my husband can be on the property title as a Canadian citizen or at least we would face some kind of tax penalty. I'm guessing this is not possible but just thought I would ask.

2) Once I get a SIN will it start with a 9? Our mortgage broker wanted to know.

3) With regards to vehicle importation, we have two vehicles with both our names on the titles. My husband as the Canadian citizen will import the less valuable vehicle and I'll import the more valuable one. Is it OK that both names are on both titles or do we need to change that? I want to avoid him paying duty as a Returning Canadian.

Many thanks for any answers/advice.
1. i'm going to say no. in order to get a SIN number as a PR, you must be landed as a PR and pysically go to a service canada office or use the kiosks available at the airports. "having your papers" doesn't equal being a PR. It only means you've been approved. you have to land to officially activate that status and be eligible for a SIN number as a PR.

2. no. i believe that is only for temp SIN numbers or for non residents. PRs are legal residents of canada and receive permanent SIN #s.

3. not sure. you may want to contact the RIV to ask. they are quite helpful.

hmks

Sep 8, 2015
Thank you for the information. Appreciate the response. I will tell our mortgage broker I'll have a regular SIN and check with RIV about the titles.

Many thanks!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hmks said:
Thank you for the information. Appreciate the response. I will tell our mortgage broker I'll have a regular SIN and check with RIV about the titles.

Many thanks!
i'd also recommend checking the "settlement issues" board on this forum. i know this isn't the first i've seen this question, and there are threads full of car import information on that board.

Jli

Sep 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2016
AOR Received.
12-05-2016
File Transfer...
12-07-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 15-11-2016
LANDED..........
25-11-2016
Question for you guys, how much time does it take before having copr after getting a Decision Made on ecas ? How long before IRCC gives news by e-mail ?

Thank you !

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Jli said:
Question for you guys, how much time does it take before having copr after getting a Decision Made on ecas ? How long before IRCC gives news by e-mail ?

Thank you !
generally, for visa exempt applicants from the us, ottawa does not send anything by email. the applicant will receive the COPR letter in regular mail and nothing else regarding the decision. generally it can take anywhere from 1-4 weeks, depending on where it's being mailed to from ottawa. it arrives in regular mail in a brown envelope. generally, for us citizens being processing in ottawa, DM means either the COPR was mailed that day or the day after.

Jli

Sep 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2016
AOR Received.
12-05-2016
File Transfer...
12-07-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-11-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
generally, for visa exempt applicants from the us, ottawa does not send anything by email. the applicant will receive the COPR letter in regular mail and nothing else regarding the decision. generally it can take anywhere from 1-4 weeks, depending on where it's being mailed to from ottawa. it arrives in regular mail in a brown envelope. generally, for us citizens being processing in ottawa, DM means either the COPR was mailed that day or the day after.
My husband is from Texas, but we are doing everything with a lawyer. I'm guessing she is the one that will receive the copr then ?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Jli said:
My husband is from Texas, but we are doing everything with a lawyer. I'm guessing she is the one that will receive the copr then ?
yes, the lawyer will receive the COPR, since they are the representative for the file. so it will take 1-4 weeks to get to the lawyer, and however long after that for the lawyer to send it to your husband.

Jli

Sep 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2016
AOR Received.
12-05-2016
File Transfer...
12-07-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-11-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, the lawyer will receive the COPR, since they are the representative for the file. so it will take 1-4 weeks to get to the lawyer, and however long after that for the lawyer to send it to your husband.
Thank you very much for the fast reply. :)

Alexand

Star Member
Aug 24, 2016
Toronto Ontario Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hmks said:

Many thanks!
Hey,

You can contact NextStopCanada.ca for this kind of information. They are a Government funded program to help people like you with their moving planning and settlement to Canada.

Check the out, they might give you more helpful information than you expected.

Best of luck! Let us know how everything goes.

Roadtorusso

Star Member
Aug 25, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
18-07-2017
Doc's Request.
18-12-2017
AOR Received.
06-09-2017
File Transfer...
29-09-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-09-2018
Does anyone know if its possible to get a copy of our border crossing transcript? My husband lives in Blaine and I live in Coquitlam, BC, which is only 45 minutes apart. So we get to see each other every weekend and by land entry. Just wondering if there is some sort of transcript showing our constant crossing back and forth. Do you think this is something I should include in our APP? If not, I won't worry about it, I'm sure whoever is assessing our application could pull it up as well...?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Roadtorusso said:
Does anyone know if its possible to get a copy of our border crossing transcript? My husband lives in Blaine and I live in Coquitlam, BC, which is only 45 minutes apart. So we get to see each other every weekend and by land entry. Just wondering if there is some sort of transcript showing our constant crossing back and forth. Do you think this is something I should include in our APP? If not, I won't worry about it, I'm sure whoever is assessing our application could pull it up as well...?
its not necessary to submit proof of entries. If CIC wants to see either of your entry histories, they have the ability to get it themselves. it's usually enough to mention the visits in your application. in fact, i believe there is a question that specifically asks to list all the times you've met. a transcript of your entries is not needed to prove this. pictures, tickets, receipts are enough.

Roadtorusso

Star Member
Aug 25, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
18-07-2017
Doc's Request.
18-12-2017
AOR Received.
06-09-2017
File Transfer...
29-09-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-09-2018
CDNPR2014 said:
its not necessary to submit proof of entries. If CIC wants to see either of your entry histories, they have the ability to get it themselves. it's usually enough to mention the visits in your application. in fact, i believe there is a question that specifically asks to list all the times you've met. a transcript of your entries is not needed to prove this. pictures, tickets, receipts are enough.
Yes, that's what I thought. I'm just going over all of the information to make sure I've covered everything. My problem is, I don't have proof of crossing the land border because they don't stamp your passport and since we both drive, we didn't need tickets. All i've said is that we see each other everyweekend because we are only 45 minutes a part. I've included several pictures together in both places so it should be fine! Thanks!! :D

Oct 26, 2016
Hi Everyone ! First time posting --- after months and months of preparing we are finally almost there. I am applying under Spousal Sponsorship through Common Law. I just have a few minor questions so please if anyone has any advice it would be amazing (I'm terrified of messing this up or making a mistake that will cost us my PR!).

questions:
1. (number 7 on Appendix A Doc Checklist- Immigrant) Identity and Civil Status Docs - it says I need to "provide proof of that relationship". It clearly states in like 3 other places that I need to supply proof there as well. Under the section of "Identity and Civil Status Docs"- which type of evidence needs to go under this area? We don't have any official documents "proving" our common law? So I am wondering what needs to go here-

2. How do you think I should go about labeling every little thing - cards, boarding tickets, tickets to events, notes etc. --- individual cover letters? Individual envelopes, etc. ??

At this moment I am mostly concerned about my first question--- thank you very much in advance!!!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
missouricanadian said:
Hi Everyone ! First time posting --- after months and months of preparing we are finally almost there. I am applying under Spousal Sponsorship through Common Law. I just have a few minor questions so please if anyone has any advice it would be amazing (I'm terrified of messing this up or making a mistake that will cost us my PR!).

questions:
1. (number 7 on Appendix A Doc Checklist- Immigrant) Identity and Civil Status Docs - it says I need to "provide proof of that relationship". It clearly states in like 3 other places that I need to supply proof there as well. Under the section of "Identity and Civil Status Docs"- which type of evidence needs to go under this area? We don't have any official documents "proving" our common law? So I am wondering what needs to go here-

2. How do you think I should go about labeling every little thing - cards, boarding tickets, tickets to events, notes etc. --- individual cover letters? Individual envelopes, etc. ??

At this moment I am mostly concerned about my first question--- thank you very much in advance!!!
Hi, i am not as familiar with commonlaw apps, so i would recommend posting your first question as it's own thread on the board. that way you're more likely to get an accurate answer. not many "experts" peruse the US thread. I'm going to guess there aren't civil status docs, and it may not be relavant to commonlaw applications. i would imagine the stat declaration qualifies for this, but i'm not 100% sure.

It's not necessary to label every little piece of evidence. you can put them all in 1 pile with a cover page that says "additional proofs". For the most part, it doesn't pay to get too overly concerned with how to organize your application. when CIC receives it, they will reorganize based on their requirements. What's important is that everything is in there. Sponsor App, Applicant App, Relationship proof.

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
hmks said:
Hello everyone,

A couple of questions. I'm waiting for my last background check from Japan but my application is in Ottawa. I believe everything else is complete and we've paid the final fees. We're planning to move sometime between February and May depending on when we find a house in Canada. My questions are these:

1) Is it possible to get at SIN once I have my papers but before we cross the border into Canada? We are planning to buy a home before we move and if I don't have a SIN only my husband can be on the property title as a Canadian citizen or at least we would face some kind of tax penalty. I'm guessing this is not possible but just thought I would ask.

2) Once I get a SIN will it start with a 9? Our mortgage broker wanted to know.

3) With regards to vehicle importation, we have two vehicles with both our names on the titles. My husband as the Canadian citizen will import the less valuable vehicle and I'll import the more valuable one. Is it OK that both names are on both titles or do we need to change that? I want to avoid him paying duty as a Returning Canadian.

Many thanks for any answers/advice.
Not sure what province you are planning on buying but here in BC there is 15% tax on non citizens...and where the average price for a house is $1.4 million....you might want to check that...you can always but your name on the title but not the mortgage