26-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
File Transfer...
IP: 04-08-2015
Med's Done....
04-01-2015
CDNPR2014 said:
are you not a us citizen or visa exempt? if you are a us citizen you are visa exempt, and they just need a copy of your passport. if you are not visa exempt, expect it to take 4ish weeks. it may be cutting it close.
No, he is a PR in the US. If it is 4 weeks, that will not work! Thanks for the advice CDNPR2014 :)

julies879

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016, sent same day
AOR Received.
27-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-03-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-02-2017
Sunset0505 said:
We just and I mean just landed on 29th April 2016...we drove from Virginia to Vancouver...26ft Uhaul..6 days and 3175 MILES...snow...sleet...rain..tornados...wind...single lanes through the Rockies...hubby drove and I followed behind in a 4 Runner with 2 cats a dog and my daughter...we had each and every box itemized, numbered and valued ( as advised, garage sale values)...45 pages of stuff...the only issue we had was there was not grand total, I had to add it at the Customs counter....the agent looked at us and said "I have to stamp all these pages!!!"..Gas...hotel...truck rentals and food were still cheaper then a mover ( the cheapest quote was $10K)..Just make sure you have one of the trucks that can cross the border...Canada Customs did not look at the paper work for the Uhaul but we brought it in with us...Would I do it again?...Yes but I have found that furniture is cheaper here and I would not bring our living room stuff...We also put all the "stuff" in my American hubbys name because he is the settler...I only had 10 boxes when I moved to the US so all the stuff is the hubby's...lol...if you have any questions please feel free to ask!
This is actually really helpful and [apart from distance travelled - we live in Washington state, moving to BC] is almost identical to us. My husband will be driving our uhaul, I will follow behind in our car with our 2 kiddos. You said you had every box itemized...to what extent? "Clothing" "Books" "Towels" or was it more detailed than that?

I'm the American who is "settling" in Canada so how exactly do we put something in my name as opposed to my husbands? I believe our car has both our names on the title - how does that work?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
julies879 said:
You said you had every box itemized...to what extent? "Clothing" "Books" "Towels" or was it more detailed than that?
you don't have to be super detailed on the b4. you can batch items into groups and list them (ie: 2 boxes of books, 3 boxes of clothes, etc.). as long as you assign a value and total it up, they really don't care about the details (at least from my experience).

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
julies879 said:
This is actually really helpful and [apart from distance travelled - we live in Washington state, moving to BC] is almost identical to us. My husband will be driving our uhaul, I will follow behind in our car with our 2 kiddos. You said you had every box itemized...to what extent? "Clothing" "Books" "Towels" or was it more detailed than that?

I'm the American who is "settling" in Canada so how exactly do we put something in my name as opposed to my husbands? I believe our car has both our names on the title - how does that work?
On the B4 form, which is the list of stuff, check settler...that is what we did...both our vehicles are in both our names...At the border I said I would sign the tittle over to my husband but it really doesn't matter cause we are married and I am responsible for 50% of everything anyways ...they agreed and just put everything as his so that we only had to pay the RIV charge and not taxes and duty..as for details in the boxes...we just put 10 sweaters ...5 books...we just made sure that whatever was in the box was written on the form...I really don't think they care too much but they are well within their rights to check each and every box...just make sure all your i's are dotted and you t's crossed!...Like I said the agent was more concerned about having to stamp 45 pages then what was on them...

amuricanuck

Aug 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2016
Doc's Request.
18-05-2016
AOR Received.
21-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Interview........
None
Received DM today! Happiness isn't enough to express my joy at this moment! ;D

Processing times have been really quick since Feb. Thank you to the Liberal Government! Only 2 months!

We also want to thank everyone on the thread and forum, it made our application a lot less stressful knowing that there are people with experience in these situations that are willing to help.

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
Awesome!! Congrats!!!

EKate20132015

Star Member
May 5, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
AOR Received.
19-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
30-04-2016 Upfront
Passport Req..
Exempt...DM 06-10-2016
amuricanuck said:
Received DM today! Happiness isn't enough to express my joy at this moment! ;D

Processing times have been really quick since Feb. Thank you to the Liberal Government! Only 2 months!

We also want to thank everyone on the thread and forum, it made our application a lot less stressful knowing that there are people with experience in these situations that are willing to help.
Awesome!!! Congrats!

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
julies879 said:

You can claim the vehicles on your forms as part of your items as long as your name's on them, regardless of your husband's name being on them as well. My Canadian spouse lived with me in the US and once my PR was approved we moved together to Canada. I claimed the entire truck's contents as mine plus vehicles (both in both our names) on my forms. Returning Canadians have a limited tax free amount, new settlers don't. Nothing wrong or illegal with claiming everything as yours because technically it is. 50% is 100% for the purposes of the items on the custom forms.

SeaVan

Mar 1, 2016
When my wife landed in BC from Washington State, we put her car on the goods to follow form. My question is, do I have to follow the same procedure that someone who wasn't landing but just bringing a car from the US? or do we just drive to the Canadian border, hand them our B4 Form(Goods to Follow) and they stamp it? I am very confused on this subject. Could someones possibly list the steps that someone took before to bring their car from the US to Canada while landing! Any help would be great!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
SeaVan said:
When my wife landed in BC from Washington State, we put her car on the goods to follow form. My question is, do I have to follow the same procedure that someone who wasn't landing but just bringing a car from the US? or do we just drive to the Canadian border, hand them our B4 Form(Goods to Follow) and they stamp it? I am very confused on this subject. Could someones possibly list the steps that someone took before to bring their car from the US to Canada while landing! Any help would be great!
I'm not sure what you mean by "same procedure"? if your wife already landed, did she present her goods to follow form with the car listed already and have it stamped? if so, then nothing else needs to be done until you intend to import it. if she's driving a us registered/insured vehicle in canada, then she needs to follow the rules for your province and the insurance company. Usually, US insurance companies will not insure the care more than 6 mo. once they find out the car is no longer in the states. BC may have a rule for how long you can drive a car before importing, insuring and registering it in Canada.

SeaVan

Mar 1, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "same procedure"? if your wife already landed, did she present her goods to follow form with the car listed already and have it stamped? if so, then nothing else needs to be done until you intend to import it. if she's driving a us registered/insured vehicle in canada, then she needs to follow the rules for your province and the insurance company. Usually, US insurance companies will not insure the care more than 6 mo. once they find out the car is no longer in the states. BC may have a rule for how long you can drive a car before importing, insuring and registering it in Canada.
Initially when she landed in March, we drove in my Canadian car. Her car is still at home in the USA. I was planning to go to the states and drive her car to the canadian border. There is a process for people who purchase cars from the states and want to import them to Canada. I was asking whether or not we have to follow that same procedure or can we skip all that and just drive to the border and say we are bringing in her car because she put it on her B4 Goods to follow form? Sorry for the confusion

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
SeaVan said:
Initially when she landed in March, we drove in my Canadian car. Her car is still at home in the USA. I was planning to go to the states and drive her car to the canadian border. There is a process for people who purchase cars from the states and want to import them to Canada. I was asking whether or not we have to follow that same procedure or can we skip all that and just drive to the border and say we are bringing in her car because she put it on her B4 Goods to follow form? Sorry for the confusion
OH! if you plan to drive it up to canada and keep it there, then yes, you need to follow a certain procedure to import it. The B4 form does not bypass the import process, it just keeps them from taxing you on the car and you will want to present the B4 form to the border upon import so that you can waive taxes. there are a LOT of little steps to get it imported and it can get confusing. you will want to start searching the "settlement" board on here for the breakdown. She will not be able to get it insured or registered in Canada until it's properly imported.

The process goes - initiate the export on the US side, present import info to CBSA 72 hours prior to import, bring car to border to import, pay the RIV fee online to receive the inspection form, have the car inspected by the registered mechanics for importing (usually canadian tire) (cars usually need daytime running lights installed/turned on - dealers usually don't understand what you want and will refer you to canadian tire since they are known as the registered import mechanics), send RIV the inspection form to finalize import, get provincial inspections, insure the car, register the car. Again, there is a ton of legwork, but unless you have major mechanical issues with your car, it's relatively cheap and quick.

SeaVan

Mar 1, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
OH! if you plan to drive it up to canada and keep it there, then yes, you need to follow a certain procedure to import it. The B4 form does not bypass the import process, it just keeps them from taxing you on the car and you will want to present the B4 form to the border upon import so that you can waive taxes. there are a LOT of little steps to get it imported and it can get confusing. you will want to start searching the "settlement" board on here for the breakdown. She will not be able to get it insured or registered in Canada until it's properly imported.

The process goes - initiate the export on the US side, present import info to CBSA 72 hours prior to import, bring car to border to import, pay the RIV fee online to receive the inspection form, have the car inspected by the registered mechanics for importing (usually canadian tire) (cars usually need daytime running lights installed/turned on - dealers usually don't understand what you want and will refer you to canadian tire since they are known as the registered import mechanics), send RIV the inspection form to finalize import, get provincial inspections, insure the car, register the car. Again, there is a ton of legwork, but unless you have major mechanical issues with your car, it's relatively cheap and quick.
Thanks for the clarification!

tsayde15

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2016
File Transfer...
06-05-2016
Med's Done....
24-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016 Decision made
LANDED..........
14-08-2016 kingsgate BC
Got my CoPR in the mail today! Plan on moving in September! Wahoo!!!!