+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

screenguy80

Jan 27, 2016
Hello, hoping someone can give me some info with this.

I worry that I operated on some bad information and screwed everything up.

My wife is here on a PGWP which expires July 5th, she lives with me in my apartment, we've been married for 3.5 years.

We submitted an outland PR application at the beginning of March, today I got a note saying I was approved as sponsor.

Based on timelines I suspect we'll be granted her PR card a couple months after her PGWP expires.

I have two questions:

1) Since the USA is a non visa-requirement country with Canada, will she need to formally transition to another status when the PGWP expires? Or will it just sort of default to her being a visitor?

2) After July 5th when her PGWP is no longer in effect, will she be able to leave Canada and re-enter for a 1 week vacation we plan to take? We will bring a full package of all the PR application documents and correspondence and everything, but what has me worried are her "ties to the USA".

Ultimately if she is denied entry into Canada for whatever reason before her PR application is complete we will have to be on damage control, fly her back to California (where she is from) and she'll stay with her father or a friend until we can sort out what to do. We have an emergency fund of five grand or so to cover such an eventuality so she could even get an apartment there until something is decided.

I guess what I'm asking is, would a border guard consider it a problem that she is already living here and has been since she was originally granted a student visa in 2008?

I would have filed for an inland PR application but everything I read suggested that Outland was the better decision and we were okay with the trade-off that she can't work after her PGWP expires.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I appreciate you guys, thanks again.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
kdubbs said:
Does anyone have experience with bringing their leased vehicle to Canada? My lease is up at the end of the year but I'll be landing in May, so I still have half a year to use it. I'm not sure how it would work at the border crossing and what I would be telling them.

If anyone knows anything about it please let me know! Thanks.
You can't import a leased vehicle into Canada. You'd have to drive it on US insurance until the time is up(though this is technically illegal), or get out of the lease.
There is a chance your leasing company would allow an export, but you'd have to contact your leasing company and find out.

It's a good idea to take a letter from your leasing company giving permission to take the car into Canada for when you land.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
screenguy80 said:
Hello, hoping someone can give me some info with this.

I worry that I operated on some bad information and screwed everything up.

My wife is here on a PGWP which expires July 5th, she lives with me in my apartment, we've been married for 3.5 years.

We submitted an outland PR application at the beginning of March, today I got a note saying I was approved as sponsor.

Based on timelines I suspect we'll be granted her PR card a couple months after her PGWP expires.

I have two questions:

1) Since the USA is a non visa-requirement country with Canada, will she need to formally transition to another status when the PGWP expires? Or will it just sort of default to her being a visitor?

2) After July 5th when her PGWP is no longer in effect, will she be able to leave Canada and re-enter for a 1 week vacation we plan to take? We will bring a full package of all the PR application documents and correspondence and everything, but what has me worried are her "ties to the USA".

Ultimately if she is denied entry into Canada for whatever reason before her PR application is complete we will have to be on damage control, fly her back to California (where she is from) and she'll stay with her father or a friend until we can sort out what to do. We have an emergency fund of five grand or so to cover such an eventuality so she could even get an apartment there until something is decided.

I guess what I'm asking is, would a border guard consider it a problem that she is already living here and has been since she was originally granted a student visa in 2008?

I would have filed for an inland PR application but everything I read suggested that Outland was the better decision and we were okay with the trade-off that she can't work after her PGWP expires.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I appreciate you guys, thanks again.
1) No, she'd need to fill out IMM 5708 to change conditions of her stay to visitor. However if she gets her COPR before that date obviously that's not necessary. I'd wait till a couple weeks before her PGWP expires to worry about applying for that.

2) Yes, it shouldn't be a problem. She's an American with a PR in process. The way things are going lately she will probably have her PR by then.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
R. Mahmood just signed for my application today. I'm excited to finally have this started ;D.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
The importing a car thing actually makes me so mad. Husband is gonna have to land without it and go back and get it as now it takes 8 weeks to get the title/deed/whatever. Guh.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ayrazar said:
The importing a car thing actually makes me so mad. Husband is gonna have to land without it and go back and get it as now it takes 8 weeks to get the title/deed/whatever. Guh.
the actual import process is easy once you get into it. it's just lining up all the logistics that make it difficult. once you start the process, it goes quickly and for me it was relatively "cheap". and honestly, i wouldn't really recommend doing the import and landing at the same time if at all possible. both can be somewhat overwhelming to prepare for, and it's a lot easier to deal with them separately.

MasterDen

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
File Transfer...
13-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-17 (sent same day)
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-03-17, COPR 23-03-17
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
Hi everyone,

For the FBI Clearance, do I just print out the finger print on a regular piece of paper? Or do I need special paper?

Thanks

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
MasterDen said:
Hi everyone,

For the FBI Clearance, do I just print out the finger print on a regular piece of paper? Or do I need special paper?

Thanks
The place you get it done at should provide the paper.

Mybarbiehead

Jun 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
AOR Received.
02-05-2016
File Transfer...
SA: 10-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
30-10-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 24-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 07-04-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
the actual import process is easy once you get into it. it's just lining up all the logistics that make it difficult. once you start the process, it goes quickly and for me it was relatively "cheap". and honestly, i wouldn't really recommend doing the import and landing at the same time if at all possible. both can be somewhat overwhelming to prepare for, and it's a lot easier to deal with them separately.

I'm glad you posted this. I keep changing my mind whether or not to import my car. I'm landing, then going back home for a month to tie up loose ends. I didn't want to have to worry about the car business until I actually move to Canada, but the forms were confusing to me. It looked to me like I had to list my car on my "goods accompanying" list instead of my "goods to follow list." Thank you for this helpful information.

And here I thought that once I got DM, all the paperwork was done. I was soooo wrong.

iiiEllie

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2015
Doc's Request.
20-02-2016, 10-03-2016
AOR Received.
02-10-2015
File Transfer...
16-10-2015
Med's Done....
29-07-2015
Passport Req..
DM 29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2016
LANDED..........
26-04-2016
So, somehow my husbands visitor extension was approved in about a week..yet they can't mail a COPR that was printed Feb 29th.

Can't even understand how CIC does anything.. We were hoping to land and cancel the extension as it was showing 100+ days to process extensions.

Getting very tired of waiting for the COPR to actually be sent.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Mybarbiehead said:
I'm glad you posted this. I keep changing my mind whether or not to import my car. I'm landing, then going back home for a month to tie up loose ends. I didn't want to have to worry about the car business until I actually move to Canada, but the forms were confusing to me. It looked to me like I had to list my car on my "goods accompanying" list instead of my "goods to follow list." Thank you for this helpful information.

And here I thought that once I got DM, all the paperwork was done. I was soooo wrong.
the hardest part about the import for most people is figuring out how to initiate the import in the AES system. There are now shippers who will do this for a nominal fee. Sorry, i don't have any contacts for that part. there are some theads in the settlement board that have numbers. Yes, definitely add your car to the conveyance section on the B4 form either way. I put it on my goods to follow form because i wasn't importing it at landing. And, yes, there is a lot more paperwork in your future. :)

carr1

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
16-02-16 FBI check
AOR Received.
16-09-2015
File Transfer...
27-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-05-2015
Passport Req..
2-4-16 DM
VISA ISSUED...
8-4-16 COPR Arrived
LANDED..........
10-4-16 Landed
iiiEllie said:
So, somehow my husbands visitor extension was approved in about a week..yet they can't mail a COPR that was printed Feb 29th.

Can't even understand how CIC does anything.. We were hoping to land and cancel the extension as it was showing 100+ days to process extensions.

Getting very tired of waiting for the COPR to actually be sent.
I want to say I'm in shock for all the mess you're going through but I'm not! CIC makes no sense. I hope your COPR arrives soon! Our MP emailed us again and told us CIC promises it was mailed on Tuesday.

carr1

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
16-02-16 FBI check
AOR Received.
16-09-2015
File Transfer...
27-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-05-2015
Passport Req..
2-4-16 DM
VISA ISSUED...
8-4-16 COPR Arrived
LANDED..........
10-4-16 Landed
Ok, now I know CIC has lost it. In January on ECAS they updated my last name to my married name and now today when I log in its back to my previous last name, 6 days after DM. I wonder what name will be on my COPR?! SMH.

iiiEllie

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2015
Doc's Request.
20-02-2016, 10-03-2016
AOR Received.
02-10-2015
File Transfer...
16-10-2015
Med's Done....
29-07-2015
Passport Req..
DM 29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2016
LANDED..........
26-04-2016
carr1 said:
I want to say I'm in shock for all the mess you're going through but I'm not! CIC makes no sense. I hope your COPR arrives soon! Our MP emailed us again and told us CIC promises it was mailed on Tuesday.
COPR arrived today! Mailed April 4th. What a great Friday!
(Not in the express prepaid envelope we sent them either lol) Hope yours comes asap next week!