+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

fleuredeflorida

Jan 23, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
I just want to add that from what I've read on this forum and with my own experiences, the major land crossings tend to be the most likely to give you trouble. I would fly in if I were you, but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for this! I thought so too, given that when I flew in to Toronto in late January from DC I was really surprised by how easy it was to get through. I didn't even have to talk to a person- just scanned my declaration card at a kiosk, answered a few questions on the screen, and off I went! Maybe it will be more involved when I am coming with an animal.

Thanks for the replies! This is helpful. Does a business card, and a utility bill suffice to prove ties to the US? I will not have a lease since mine expires right before I come up to visit, but I am changing my permanent address to my parents' home in FL. We are shooting to get our application in by end of March and I'll be coming up in mid-April, so our hope is the COPR comes before the six months runs out, but if it doesn't I will leave and go down to FL and wait until it does.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
fleuredeflorida said:
Thanks for this! I thought so too, given that when I flew in to Toronto in late January from DC I was really surprised by how easy it was to get through. I didn't even have to talk to a person- just scanned my declaration card at a kiosk, answered a few questions on the screen, and off I went! Maybe it will be more involved when I am coming with an animal.

Thanks for the replies! This is helpful. Does a business card, and a utility bill suffice to prove ties to the US? I will not have a lease since mine expires right before I come up to visit, but I am changing my permanent address to my parents' home in FL. We are shooting to get our application in by end of March and I'll be coming up in mid-April, so our hope is the COPR comes before the six months runs out, but if it doesn't I will leave and go down to FL and wait until it does.
it's really difficult to say what a cbsa officer will accept as ties. it is really dependent on each officer. if you have a work contract or recent paystubs, this will help. if you have started your application, bring a copy of everything you've done and if you can pay at least 1 fee now that will show them you intend to submit an application. they are usually much nicer to people who can show they know what they are suppose to do and aren't trying to hide anything.

4Canucks

Star Member
Mar 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 29 2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
30-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 11-2-2016
fleuredeflorida said:

My wife is landing in Toronto in July, coming into Terminal 3 so from what I understand they don't have a counter there for her to get her SIN right away like Terminal 1. Unless that has changed? Would love to hear your landing experience.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
fleuredeflorida said:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I have a question for folks who "visit" their spouses in Canada while waiting for processing of outland application. I am planning to come up to Canada in mid-April, and at that time will just be bringing two suitcases with me, and my cat. Some friends of ours mentioned to me that bringing the cat as a visitor might raise a red flag at customs. Has anyone had experience with visiting the country with a pet (a cat, specifically, and/or any other small animal in a carry-on carrier bag)? Is it better to drive in from Buffalo than flying in? Would this really raise questions/a flag? I feel like people travel with pets all the time, even cats, so I didn't think it would be an issue but their warning that this could be an issue is worrying me.

Appreciate any feedback on your experiences! Thanks!
I came to Canada with both of my cats and I flew here. I had them in cat carriers and they were put in the cargo hold area of the plane. I had all their shots and vet exams papers with me. I was really surprised that the border agent didn't really look at them or ask me questions about them. I told him I was visiting my boyfriend for 6 months. I had a return flight ticket, but provided no ties to the US and they did not ask me for any. It was awesome, but I know that every border agent is different. I had a big suitcase, a carry on bag and both cat carriers. lol It was quite the load! I had one of those guys with the big cart help me because it was too much for me. He even rolled the cart to secondary inspection with me. :)
I hope this helps you!!

Smiles :D

JackMaur

Feb 9, 2016
Checked online this morning and it says DM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still only shows 3 lines.

We received application for permanent residence on November 6, 2015.
We started processing application on February 3, 2016.
Medical results have been received.

I can only assume this is great news.

Wife is Canadian, I'm American. Ottawa VO.

We really can't believe it. She certainly didn't believe it when I told her.

Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
JackMaur said:

3 months, 28 days to DM, nice! We must have had the same officer. Now any American considering inland sponsorship can see why that is such a bad idea.

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
Yeah you got to wonder how someone can get their DM only 7 weeks after SA and some others take 4-5 months. Possible red flags aside of course I wonder what processes of theirs cause the variation in processing time.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
canadausa#11 said:
Yeah you got to wonder how someone can get their DM only 7 weeks after SA and some others take 4-5 months. Possible red flags aside of course I wonder what processes of theirs cause the variation in processing time.
I really think it's mostly just luck and who does your application.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
JackMaur said:

Wowsa!! That is so great!! Congratulations to you JackMaur!!

JackMaur

Feb 9, 2016
Yea, I'm not sure how we got it so quick.

I feel as if we had a really clean file, no red flags, and we also used a lawyer.

I don't know if representation was even a reason it went so fast because our lawyer said his last American couple got theirs in 8 months so I dont think that mattered.

If I would have known about this forum before we probably wouldn't have used one, but whats done is done.

We are both very surprised it went so quick.

triple p

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015 (Proof of Sponsor's Canadian Residence); 08-09-2015 (FBI)
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
File Transfer...
24-04-2015 Ottawa; 08-12-2015 LA; DM 19-01-2016; pics request 12-02-2016
Med's Done....
01-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 19-02-2016!!!
So on my hubby's COPR it states his Indian passport # and information. During the application process, he became a U.S. citizen and we forwarded the VISA office this information. He no longer has the Indian passport and only has his US passport. Can he just get this information changed when he crosses the border?

MasterDen

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
File Transfer...
13-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-17 (sent same day)
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-03-17, COPR 23-03-17
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
JackMaur said:
Yea, I'm not sure how we got it so quick.

I feel as if we had a really clean file, no red flags, and we also used a lawyer.

I don't know if representation was even a reason it went so fast because our lawyer said his last American couple got theirs in 8 months so I dont think that mattered.

If I would have known about this forum before we probably wouldn't have used one, but whats done is done.

We are both very surprised it went so quick.
Congrats! This is great news! Do you mind me asking how much you paid the lawyer?

Thanks everyone for this amazing thread! It is a great resource. Our plans a little complex, so I figured I'd see if anyone has advice.

I'm done with my schooling in June. I have a job offer on the table for a NAFTA qualified profession starting in July. I do not own any property, but I do have a U.S. bank account. My lease expires in July. My employer is currently trying to find out if they need to do anything on their end for NAFTA, other than giving me a paper indicating the job offer. Not sure if any of you can chime in on that. I have been told that they might have to do something on the employee portal and pay a $230 fee.

We plan on getting married in September. Following that, I would apply for outland PR.

I just had the following questions:
1. Is there a checklist that anyone has to help through this process?
2. Is there anything I can start doing now to help make the process smoother?
3. Are there any tips anyone has?
4. I know the abbreviations have been explained before in this thread, I keep searching for them. However, does someone have a master list for them? Lol..sorry I keep forgetting them since I'm a newbie.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
MasterDen said:
Congrats! This is great news! Do you mind me asking how much you paid the lawyer?

Thanks everyone for this amazing thread! It is a great resource. Our plans a little complex, so I figured I'd see if anyone has advice.

I'm done with my schooling in June. I have a job offer on the table for a NAFTA qualified profession starting in July. I do not own any property, but I do have a U.S. bank account. My lease expires in July. My employer is currently trying to find out if they need to do anything on their end for NAFTA, other than giving me a paper indicating the job offer. Not sure if any of you can chime in on that. I have been told that they might have to do something on the employee portal and pay a $230 fee.

We plan on getting married in September. Following that, I would apply for outland PR.

I just had the following questions:
1. Is there a checklist that anyone has to help through this process?
2. Is there anything I can start doing now to help make the process smoother?
3. Are there any tips anyone has?
4. I know the abbreviations have been explained before in this thread, I keep searching for them. However, does someone have a master list for them? Lol..sorry I keep forgetting them since I'm a newbie.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
1) The CIC instructions contain 2 checklists, and detailed guides on what you need. Just follow them carefully and ask questions here if you are unsure about anything.

2) Send in for your FBI police certificate asap as it takes 3-4 months to get.

3) It's easier to give tips on specific issues, once you get started

4) Off the top of my head: VO - Visa Office, SA - Sponsor approval, AOR - Acknowledgement of receipt, COPR - Confirmation of permanent residence, PPR - Passport request (not relevant for a US applicant), PCC - Police clearance check/certificate

MasterDen

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
File Transfer...
13-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-17 (sent same day)
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-03-17, COPR 23-03-17
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
Aquakitty said:
1) The CIC instructions contain 2 checklists, and detailed guides on what you need. Just follow them carefully and ask questions here if you are unsure about anything.

2) Send in for your FBI police certificate asap as it takes 3-4 months to get.

3) It's easier to give tips on specific issues, once you get started

4) Off the top of my head: VO - Visa Office, SA - Sponsor approval, AOR - Acknowledgement of receipt, COPR - Confirmation of permanent residence, PPR - Passport request (not relevant for a US applicant), PCC - Police clearance check/certificate
Thanks Aquakitty! Does the FBI police certificate expire after a certain time period? I was planning on submitting for it in the next week. Will this still be good for next September?