+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

May 30, 2014
Hello all!

I've been a lurker myself... Never posted before... but I thought I would share my time line with you guys. I'm canadian and I'm sponsoring my american hubby :) (outland).

We sent our application in October 2013
Mississauga recieved it and processed it on November 20, 2013
Sponsorship approved on November 20, 2013 (I received an email).
Applied for CSQ since im located in Quebec and then sent the certificate to the Ottawa office in December 2013.
My husband did his medicals on March 24, 2014. We sent the result to Ottawa right after (email and snailmail). Our doctor office was using the electronic system, they just had to upload our info.
After a while (end of April 2013 I believe), our ECAS status changed and they added "Medical results recieved".
ECAS has changed again now it says (received application on November 20, 2013, We started processing your application on May 21, 2014, We received the Medical results, DECISION MADE!!! WOOT!)

And now we are waitng on their letter.... I'm nervous but I think it will be a CoPR. They didnt ask for an interview, nor for more documents, so its looking good I think.
I saw that the decision made was uploaded 4 days after they started to process it. But then they can upload the info whenever they want so... Maybe it was very fast and everything was in order, or they started earlier and didnt update the portal.

We didnt get a passport request yet. Either its coming or they sending us the CoPR. Ive seen people receiving their CoPR without the PPR so I think i shouldn't be too worried about it. And they wouldnt ask for the physical document anyway since my husband is from the US.

Whew! Now we just have to wait some more.... I wonder how long it takes them to communicate with us. Perhaps 2 weeks for international mail?

So 6 months from received to decision made. I think that's pretty fast. About 1 month faster then the trend I have observed. But I did see a case or 2 going that fast. Our application was really clear and I added a lot of supporting documents. *crosses fingers*

Best,

SuzyStrawberry

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM June 2/2015 and COPR arrived June 10/2015
LANDED..........
June 15/2015 Yay! 8) PR card arrived Sept 3/2015
computergeek said:
The fingerprints can be taken in Canada (I've done it twice) and that is sent to the FBI in WV where it is used to do the criminal background check. You can pay the fee via credit card.

It takes 6-8 weeks typically to get the results back from the FBI.
Did you have it done at the Commissionaires ? I called the RCMP here in Moncton NB and they said they don't know anything about sending a background check for the FBI etc..

rs3710

Star Member
May 22, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 : 16-09-2014 , SA : 30-10-2014
File Transfer...
AOR2: 14-11-2014, In Process : 01-07-2015
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
Hi ,
I am a USA resident and my spouse is Canadian citizen. We plan to submit outland application for me so we are collecting all documents before submitting the documents.
I had couple of questions:
1) Police verification certificate : FBI has channelers mentioned on the website who do he fingerprinting and mail to FBI.
Should i use a channeler? Processing via channeler is faster . If not, then I cant find the cover letter/request containing details about why i need to get it done? I cold just find fingerprinting card form only on FBI website. where can i find the cover letter?

2)We plan to submit sometime in July/Aug. Is it ok if I get my medical and police verification done sometime in June only before i submit application?

3) Does the sponsor also need to get done medical and police verification?

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
rs3710 said:
Hi ,
I am a USA resident and my spouse is Canadian citizen. We plan to submit outland application for me so we are collecting all documents before submitting the documents.
I had couple of questions:
1) Police verification certificate : FBI has channelers mentioned on the website who do he fingerprinting and mail to FBI.
Should i use a channeler? Processing via channeler is faster . If not, then I cant find the cover letter/request containing details about why i need to get it done? I cold just find fingerprinting card form only on FBI website. where can i find the cover letter?

2)We plan to submit sometime in July/Aug. Is it ok if I get my medical and police verification done sometime in June only before i submit application?

3) Does the sponsor also need to get done medical and police verification?
1. Don't go through a channeler as I've heard they will not accept it. I think you can go to a police station and get them done and send it into the FBI. I do not believe you need a cover letter. My husband just went in, got his done and mailed it off.

2. Yep! Just make sure the check is less than 3 months old when your application gets to Mississauga

3. No. Only the applicant needs to do those.

Good luck :)

rs3710

Star Member
May 22, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 : 16-09-2014 , SA : 30-10-2014
File Transfer...
AOR2: 14-11-2014, In Process : 01-07-2015
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
How long does it take for application to get to Mississauga once you submit the application? I am applying in USA
Outland Spouse application submission means mailing all the required documents/forms and submitting payment online ,right?

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Does anyone know what the medical exam entails? My fiance is not so comfortable with male doctors she said, and it would seem the only authorized person to perform the exam near to us here is male. Is it the full head to toe ordeal lol, or just some blood work and and a x-ray etc? Thanks :)

katester

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
June 4, 2013 extended until May1, 2015!!!
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
Evadyrrehs said:
Does anyone know what the medical exam entails? My fiance is not so comfortable with male doctors she said, and it would seem the only authorized person to perform the exam near to us here is male. Is it the full head to toe ordeal lol, or just some blood work and and a x-ray etc? Thanks :)
When I got mine done, it was super basic and mostly talking. I didn't need to change into a gown or anything. They make you breath deep to listen to your lungs. They listen to your heart and check your eyes/vision and make sure you can bend at the joints. Next we went to a different building for a chest xray. You are required to remove your shirt and bra, but you put in a gown in private. Takes less than 5 minutes and you're dressed again. Thus mist likely won't be the same Dr, it will be a different location the Dr office tells you to go. Or could be in same building but an xray tech will do it, not the Dr. Then you will be sent to get blood work and urine sample. In All honesty it was not invasive at all. Dr reassured me that my stomach problems were of no concern to CIC they just don't want to let people in who can spread things.

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
katester said:
When I got mine done, it was super basic and mostly talking. I didn't need to change into a gown or anything. They make you breath deep to listen to your lungs. They listen to your heart and check your eyes/vision and make sure you can bend at the joints. Next we went to a different building for a chest xray. You are required to remove your shirt and bra, but you put in a gown in private. Takes less than 5 minutes and you're dressed again. Thus mist likely won't be the same Dr, it will be a different location the Dr office tells you to go. Or could be in same building but an xray tech will do it, not the Dr. Then you will be sent to get blood work and urine sample. In All honesty it was not invasive at all. Dr reassured me that my stomach problems were of no concern to CIC they just don't want to let people in who can spread things.
Thanks katester! This will be good news to her as she thought it would be the full invasive type exam that she would prefer a female doc for etc..

katester

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
Evadyrrehs said:
Thanks katester! This will be good news to her as she thought it would be the full invasive type exam that she would prefer a female doc for etc..
You're welcome! In my opinion, it was really the easiest part of this entire, long, drawn out process for me!

May 30, 2014
squishypenguin said:
Hi all,

Just checked ecas after getting back from a trip and it says decision made! Hopefully this is good news as we did not receive anything beforehand such as PPR or requesting more documents.

I had some questions about landing and wanted to get some opinions on our plan so far. We are planning on landing at Queenston-Lewiston if possible and he is coming from US (NY) to Ontario.

Our plan is to 'flag pole', and have him land with his list of goods/goods to follow ASAP and then apply for a SIN. This is because he needs to initiate a work location transfer with his job so he needs the number. At the same time, it would be nice to also apply for OHIP as well since I think it's all done at Service Ontario and I was wondering if we would run into any trouble with it? We already have a joint account so I don't know if they will think that the bank statement is a bit funny if the date of it is before his landing date? It would also be nice to get that 90 day clock running for coverage but I was never clear on if it was 90 days from application or 90 days from landing.
After applying for SIN/OHIP he would go back for a couple weeks to await work transfer.

We were also considering whether or not we should import his car (5 years old) versus sell it and buy a new one before he comes because cars are cheaper in the US and take advantage of the tax free situation. Not sure if we would run into any issues with having to drive it for a certain amount of time etc before importing?

When should we change to a Canada driver's license? I know we need it to get Canadian car insurance but we also want to shop around a bit for it first.

Is there anything I'm missing on our list of to do things?

1. Make list of goods/goods to follow
2. SIN
3. OHIP
4. Get recall letter, valid 30 days
-> Import car
-> Declare with US export 72 hr before
-> Import
-> RIV inspection/modifications
5. Canada driver's license (before or after import car?? not sure when is best to do this)
->Get US letter of experience from insurance company, US driving abstract
->Get Canada car insurance
-> License vehicle in Ontario/Canada (must be done within 30 days of obtaining car insurance or is it import? not sure)

Also would it be okay for me to accompany him on landing? He's the only one landing obviously and not sure if it's typical for us to go together or him to do it by himself.

Thank you!!
Hi SquishyPenguin,

Please let us know when you receive the good news!! (CoPR!).

I believe our time lines are similar, I'm waiting too after Decision Made on May 26th... I cannot help with your car importation question, but thank you for asking it on the forum, I expect to have fun importing our own lol... So this is very useful.

Best,

SuzyStrawberry

Jun 7, 2014
chala said:
You may also find it informative and useful to read and monitor the CPP-Ottawa thread and spreadsheet. I learned a lot of helpful things for US applicants there. Best of luck with the process.
I made an error and put New York in Question 4 in IMM0008 (Immigration Office requested processing this application). I realized this today after mailing the application package. Do I have to write a letter to CPC-Mississauga to change this to CPC- Ottawa or they will send it to CPC-O automatically even though I put New York? Upon research, I learned that the VAC office in New York has closed.

Me: Canadian citizen sponsoring my American common-law partner (outland application). He is from Michigan.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
newadventure14 said:
I made an error and put New York in Question 4 in IMM0008 (Immigration Office requested processing this application). I realized this today after mailing the application package. Do I have to write a letter to CPC-Mississauga to change this to CPC- Ottawa or they will send it to CPC-O automatically even though I put New York? Upon research, I learned that the VAC office in New York has closed.

Me: Canadian citizen sponsoring my American common-law partner (outland application). He is from Michigan.
your application will automatically get sent to ottawa. it doesn't matter what office the applicant puts there. i left that answer blank, and mine has been sent to ottawa.

katester

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
I am pretty sure I just had a heart attack! Logged in to eCas and it finally said DECISION MADE!!!!!!!!

Woooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Do they work on the weekends?? I checked Friday and it still said application received??

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
katester said:
I am pretty sure I just had a heart attack! Logged in to eCas and it finally said DECISION MADE!!!!!!!!

Woooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Do they work on the weekends?? I checked Friday and it still said application received??
I'm not sure if they work on the weekends or not but my ECAS has updated on Sunday too.. maybe they log it into the computer and it auto updates at the end of the week?.. either way... CONGRATS!! :)

ACKSteve

Apr 23, 2014
Hey!

Is anyone else here a January 2014 applicant? I'm on month 6 right now and was wondering if anyone has heard anything from Ottawa. All we have received is sponsorship approval and nothing else. My ecas says ' application received'. Are we missing out on anything or does this seem normal??