Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
JMStargazer said:
Copypasta from CPP Ottawa thread:
Mmmmm, I love copy pasta! So delicious! hahaha

Sorry, I can't help with your question but I couldn't pass on this joke either :D

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
computergeek said:
It's not far off from what you need to tell the VO - I didn't say anything that isn't true and I've been surprised how slapping someone when they're being stupid often gets them pissed and THEN gets them to think.

Visa officers make mistakes and misapply the law. It happens. It happened to me. There's no reason you should tolerate it. In fact, what you might consider is sending your response to the program manager, since this is a blatant misapplication of the law.
Below is what we received (as we didn't post the whole thing before).

Item 1 (police report request) is quite upseting to us because CIC indicates that they will request the police report directly to the foreign authorities and now they are requesting us to obtain it (as opposed to the situation for applicants that have lived or lives in the US, for example, where CIC requests from the applicant to ask for a report from the FBI and to send it along with the application). This a complete and utter waste of time as we could have that done months ago - we are working on it, though. Items 2 and 3 are covered; and then we have infamous Item 4.

It is quite intersting as the agent's request for RPRF seems to contradict his statement referencing 130(1)(b), or is that normal procedure? I mean, you go get in line to enter into a club, bouncer believes you are underaged and says he may not let you in but asks for you to pay for the cover anyway before he actually checks your ID!

Dear [Applicant]:

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:

Ø Police Certificate: From each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate. You have provided us with a FBI report. However, please provide us with a Police Certificate from the relevant [Country] authorities. This must be received at this office by: 2013/04/11

Ø RPRF, Family Class: Have your sponsor pay the Right of Permanent Residence fee in Canada This must be received at this office by: 2013/04/11

Ø Please provide proof of ongoing relationship to your sponsor, [Sponsor]: such documents are, but not limited to:

o Evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items;
o Correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address, ie. utility bills, credit card statements

Ø Paragraph 130(1)(b) states that, subject to subsections (2) and (3), a sponsor, for the purpose of sponsoring a foreign national who makes an application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who resides in Canada.

Based on the information you have provided, I am not satisfied that your sponsor resides in Canada from the day on which the application was filed up to now. Accordingly you may not meet the requirements of paragraph 130(1)(b) and section 120 of the Regulations.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act provides that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act.

The onus is on you to satisfy me that an immigrant visa can be issued to you. I would therefore request that you send any information or documents which you consider might respond to this concern within sixty (60) days. I must also advise you that failure to disabuse me of my concern could lead to the refusal of the application. Please quote your complete application number on your correspondence and address your correspondence to CPP-Ottawa at the address indicated below.

I hope to hear from you within sixty (60) days.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
cempjwi said:
Below is what we received (as we didn't post the whole thing before).

Item 1 (police report request) is quite upseting to us because CIC indicates that they will request the police report directly to the foreign authorities and now they are requesting us to obtain it (as opposed to the situation for applicants that have lived or lives in the US, for example, where CIC requests from the applicant to ask for a report from the FBI and to send it along with the application). This a complete and utter waste of time as we could have that done months ago - we are working on it, though. Items 2 and 3 are covered; and then we have infamous Item 4.
I'm confused by this - my understanding when applying was that the applicant needed to supply police certificates from every place you lived for more than 6 months since the age of 18. CIC can do its own background check if it wants to, but I thought it's always been up to the applicant to provide the certificates (which I know can be a huge pain - not to mention expensive! - when you are ordering them from countries other than where you are residing - it certainly was an expensive hassle for us to get one from Russia for my wife).

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
IvanP said:
I'm confused by this - my understanding when applying was that the applicant needed to supply police certificates from every place you lived for more than 6 months since the age of 18. CIC can do its own background check if it wants to, but I thought it's always been up to the applicant to provide the certificates (which I know can be a huge pain - not to mention expensive! - when you are ordering them from countries other than where you are residing - it certainly was an expensive hassle for us to get one from Russia for my wife).
Actually for the applicant's country of birth, CIC's country specific instructions package says that the application should not attempt to request the police certificate and that CIC will, through their mission abroad request it on the applicant's behalf.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
cempjwi said:
Actually for the applicant's country of birth, CIC's country specific instructions package says that the application should not attempt to request the police certificate and that CIC will, through their mission abroad request it on the applicant's behalf.
Oh, that sucks. Have their police certificate instructions changed since you applied? The applications materials lately really seem to be a moving target, with CIC being really picky about applicants using only the very latest forms, and I can imagine them also changing the police certificate instructions for various countries. But even if that's true, it's unfortunately not much help to learn it now. Sorry you've got this frustrating situation.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cempjwi said:
Hi cempjwi,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you considered sending a short, quick response back to CIC attaching the items you have (requests 2 and 3) and asking for clarification on their request for the items that don't seem to make sense given the specifics of your case?

For item 1, for example, you could attach the printout from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp showing the current instructions for {country} they are asking the PC from. The person who made the request may not be very familiar with {country} instructions and a polite request for clarification could sort this out by highlighting that {country} is an exception vs. the majority of countries that do need you to submit the PC's upfront.

I think we sometimes forget that there's fallible humans on the other end also ;)

Good luck!

kfair001

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2012
AOR Received.
October 12, 2012
File Transfer...
October 12, 2012
Med's Done....
June 25, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
January 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2013
LANDED..........
May 27, 2013
Hi Guys,

Just had a quick question that I'm hoping you guys could help me out with. I'm the sponsor and my American common-law husband is the applicant. I've currently been working at my job for a year and a half. Obviously the same job that I had when they were going through sponsorship approval. My common-law husband just received PPR on January 29th so the visa should be here relatively soon. I know the timing isn't quite convenient but at this point I really want to leave my job. Will this in any way affect landing or anything to do with this process?? I have another job lined up but I don't start until mid-end of march. If need be, I would be able to prove that I have more than enough in savings to support us for a couple of months. Could any of you help with this? My boss is literally driving me crazy and I desperately need to get out of here however if it will have any impact on this process than I'll stick it out for a couple more weeks.

All advice and help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Guys!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
JMStargazer said:
Got my PPR today! Woohoo!

Copypasta from CPP Ottawa thread:

And now I have a question I'm sure has been answered before.

Ottawa has requested:
Ø Provide evidence of adequate financial arrangements for care and support (not involving social assistance) that are in place for yourself in Canada. This may include, but is not limited to, paystubs, employment letters, and tax documents including the most recent notice of assessment (NOA) for both you and your sponsor.

I can't work yet since my NAFTA visa was only good for one employer, and my husband is self-employed but only gets sporadic gigs due to the seasonal ebb and flow of the film industry. He is about to sit for a union permitee exam soon, which should lead to more steady work. His folks send us money to help out when the gigs are sparse, which is really kind. I may have a job lined up though; I recently had a fantastic interview for an office manager job (within walking distance of our house!) in anticipation of my PR being granted soon. I think I may be hired for this job, the owner was really excited to talk to me...funny thing: his wife's an immigration lawyer, can you believe it?!

In the meantime though, what do I send them? Just my husband's most recent invoices and a letter explaining our situation? I feel like Charlie Brown running up to kick the football, hoping that Lucy doesn't snatch it away at the last second.
I'd send them information about your husband's work. Further, if you can get a letter from that prospective employer indicating you have a job once you land, I'd send it along as well - they will consider BOTH of your employment opportunities, since they just want to ensure you don't need social assistance. Even a letter from his parents offering support when you need it is going to assuage any residual concerns they might have.

Since they're asking at the PPR stage, they aren't that concerned, they just want documentation for the file.

Good luck!

Occasita

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
20-07-2012
File Transfer...
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
31-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
16-02-2013
COPR just arrived in mail! =D

JMStargazer

Oct 23, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/08/2012
AOR Received.
02/09/2012
File Transfer...
04/09/2012
Med's Done....
29/03/2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
12/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
13/03/2013
computergeek said:
I'd send them information about your husband's work. Further, if you can get a letter from that prospective employer indicating you have a job once you land, I'd send it along as well - they will consider BOTH of your employment opportunities, since they just want to ensure you don't need social assistance. Even a letter from his parents offering support when you need it is going to assuage any residual concerns they might have.

Since they're asking at the PPR stage, they aren't that concerned, they just want documentation for the file.

Good luck!
Thanx for your advice computergeek! I replied to the PPR email with the passport scans and included an explanation letter along with my husband's last 6 invoices as well as the last 6 months of our bank statements with deposits from his folks highlighted. I'm in the process of getting that employment letter right now. Hope that'll convince them I'm not gonna sit on the couch eating bonbons and collecting welfare once I land! LOL

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
IvanP said:
Oh, that sucks. Have their police certificate instructions changed since you applied? The applications materials lately really seem to be a moving target, with CIC being really picky about applicants using only the very latest forms, and I can imagine them also changing the police certificate instructions for various countries. But even if that's true, it's unfortunately not much help to learn it now. Sorry you've got this frustrating situation.
True and thanks, we are not happy eaither but that is how this process goes and we expected our case to be more difficult anyways and therefore for it to take longer than average.

We originally sent our applications in early June 2012 but they were returned because two of the sponsor forms were outdated; we had downloaded the forms too early while we got together all of the documents they required and when we sent them out those two forms had already been updated by CIC. We got the package back more than a month after we sent it and the same day we filled out the new forms and sent them out again.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
OhCanadiana said:
Hi cempjwi,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you considered sending a short, quick response back to CIC attaching the items you have (requests 2 and 3) and asking for clarification on their request for the items that don't seem to make sense given the specifics of your case?

For item 1, for example, you could attach the printout from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp showing the current instructions for {country} they are asking the PC from. The person who made the request may not be very familiar with {country} instructions and a polite request for clarification could sort this out by highlighting that {country} is an exception vs. the majority of countries that do need you to submit the PC's upfront.

I think we sometimes forget that there's fallible humans on the other end also ;)

Good luck!
That's a great idea and we thought about it too; however, they changed the process. The information web page was updated on Feb 11th, 2013. We got an email asking for it on Feb 9th, 2013. Aren't they sneaky?!?! They are now officially asking for the applicant to get it done. Yeah!!! hahaha. We are just riding the wave at this point. We are actually happy that our case is being processed after just 6 months in the queue and only after 4.5 months since sponsorship approval. We live together and although we want to move to Canada as soon as possible we do not have the pains that many other applicants have while being are apart. We were told that we should be able to have the police certificate in 5 to 7 days (though we cannot request one until next monday), plus a few more days for legalization, translation and delivery to us.

tinytortoise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Houston, Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-02-2013
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
Do you have to give up your American drivers license when you get a Canadian one? I just saw that Florida passed a new rule http://www.caa.ca/travel-documents/idp/ that Canadians must hold an international drivers license to drive in that state. Next year, there's a trade show there and chances are I'll have PR by then (crossing fingers) and will need to rent a car. Do we get to keep our US licenses?

Occasita

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
20-07-2012
File Transfer...
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
31-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
16-02-2013
tinytortoise said:
Do you have to give up your American drivers license when you get a Canadian one? I just saw that Florida passed a new rule http://www.caa.ca/travel-documents/idp/ that Canadians must hold an international drivers license to drive in that state. Next year, there's a trade show there and chances are I'll have PR by then (crossing fingers) and will need to rent a car. Do we get to keep our US licenses?
In Manitoba, if you are here for more than 6 months you have to give up your US one and get a MB one. (may be different in other provinces)
There are some exceptions for specific visas (students)

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
tinytortoise said:
In BC you have to surrender your US license to get a BC one. We just inquired a few weeks back.